Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Military Uses of ATV's

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2003, 02:07 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Military Uses of ATV's

What you say is very true. However, Polaris had the most breakdowns of all the brands, and only they
were required to make major modifications to their quads driveline to get another order from the gov.

My nephew wrote me an email while he was in Afgan. telling me he was riding a SP700 and how much
he liked it, thinking about buying one when he got home. A month later he wrote again, saying all 4
of their Sportsmen had broken down, 2 while he was on them, and that they also had a Grizzly that was broken down, and now he was riding a Rancher.

The Rancher never left him stranded in the desert. 'Nuff said.

Old 12-07-2003, 03:56 PM
Range Rover

What individual would want spend $16,000-$22,000 on the Polaris SP700
that the Military uses ?
A recent issue of I think" ATV Magazine" published this info.

peace
scaboy

Old 12-07-2003, 04:30 PM
Pro Rider

No one in his right mind, except our illustrious military. LOL

Old 12-07-2003, 06:40 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: RhinoOffRoad
Originally posted by: DanW
The military has issued new contracts for different versions of the Polaris 700
your information is outdated. check your source.
The development of the Polaris Sportsman MV is part of a military contract to several manufacturers. They are currently undergoing evaluation. There are other manufacturers providing prototypes as well.

My original source is a soldier who was home for 2 week leave last month. He said they use any brand they can get their hands on. His unit mostly uses Polaris, but has others as well. He said they have broken every brand at one time or another. He said they also extensively use John Deere Gators.

He also said that the military strongly prefers automatic transmissions on the ATV's.

Hey, I'm not a loyalist for Polaris. I'm just sharing what I was told in an interesting conversation.

Old 12-07-2003, 06:43 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: scaboy
What individual would want spend $16,000-$22,000 on the Polaris SP700
that the Military uses ?
A recent issue of I think" ATV Magazine" published this info.

peace
scaboy
The contract for the Polaris Sportsman MV, which is heavily modified, is for just under 12,000 dollars, which is not bad considering the history of bloated charges to the military. That price is good through 2007, according to Polaris.

Old 12-07-2003, 06:45 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: akfireman
hey dan, whats the possibility of scanning the pic of the Arctic Cat and posting it for the non-cat fans, that would be a great pic to see.
I don't have a scanner. I cut it out of an issue of Aviation Week and Space Technology, but I don't remember the date. I might try to take a pic with my digital cam and post it in my picture page on the forum.

Old 12-08-2003, 01:13 AM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Has this turned into another "Polaris is better because" thread?

Why would anyone ever think that an ATV picked by any government agency makes it any better than any other ATV? It must be all that "government intelligent" they use to make their decisions. It was probably a cook that wrote the specs when he wasn't peeling potatoes.

Just take a look at the one that BigBadScrambler posted, it looks like something that Bombardier designers were involved in.

If I was out in the middle of no-where in a foreign country with my life in harms way, I would hope I was on something other than one of those, perhaps a Rancher.

Old 12-08-2003, 03:07 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Back when, I saw video of some Honda Foreman 450's coming out of the back of a C-130 in Afganistan. Don't know if they got purchased in any large numbers, or how well they held up????????

Old 12-09-2003, 12:09 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Specta
Has this turned into another "Polaris is better because" thread?

Why would anyone ever think that an ATV picked by any government agency makes it any better than any other ATV? It must be all that "government intelligent" they use to make their decisions. It was probably a cook that wrote the specs when he wasn't peeling potatoes.

Just take a look at the one that BigBadScrambler posted, it looks like something that Bombardier designers were involved in.

If I was out in the middle of no-where in a foreign country with my life in harms way, I would hope I was on something other than one of those, perhaps a Rancher.
Re read the thread. Nobody is singing big praises of Polaris. I simply pointed out that they are not the only ones that have broken down in Afghanistan. The military beats the heck out of these things and in many cases they have hauled loads beyond their rated capacities over some of the toughest terrain in the world. They have used just about every brand of utility ATV that they could get their hands on, so they are certainly not all Polaris machines. I spoke to a soldier who told me that they have punished the machines and that they had breakdowns among all of the brands. He did not say and I did think at the time to ask which ones held up the best. He did say, however, that they have continued to purchase new units, including all the makes, and use them. His experience there with ATV's led him to the sport. I met him and talked to him at the Badlands when he came over to talk to me about my Arctic Cats.

Old 12-11-2003, 03:46 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: DanW
The military has issued new contracts for different versions of the Polaris 700, including the one posted by BigBadScrambler, so I doubt that they have been as bad as some have said.When the US first went into Afghanistan, they were equipped with some Polaris quads, but they came under such demand that they went to ATV stores near their home bases and bought up everything they had. They also equipped as many as possible with all the Goodyear run-flat tires they could find. They bought examples of every brand on the market. They have run them hard and well beyond their rated load capacities, and that is why many auto tranny's failed, including Hondas, Suzuki's, and Kawasakis. The new Polaris that BigBadScrambler posted has a much beefed-up tranny in it. The environment that they are running them in is FAR more rugged and treacherous than many realize. They are also running them 24/7 vs. occasional weekend use that they see back home. They are putting thousands of miles on them very quickly. It is also one of the dustiest environments in the world, which doesn't help. They are also running them at high altitudes, so I would imagine that the EFI 700 is looking pretty good to the military right now and may have been the main reason that Polaris introduced it to the civillian market sooner than AC or others working on EFI.I have a picture sitting here on my desk of an Arctic Cat 500 auto 4x4 being used by troops guarding aircraft in Kuwait. You'll find just about every brand represented over there.
Well put!!!