Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Lifting Quad up on rear rack?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2004, 10:09 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lifting Quad up on rear rack?

Read a few posts where some members said that they stood there quards up on the rear rack and it made the warn 424 installation alot easier.
What are you guys and gals using to support the quad and keep it from crashing back down on top of you?
I have a 2004 rancher ES 4 x 4 and this is my first ATV and I have never stood it up on the rear rack before so that is why i am asking.
thanks for any replys.

Old 01-27-2004, 10:25 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Rancher will balance just fine resting on the rack. If you are worried about it coming down on you, do it in the garage, and put a strap up into the rafters and tie it off.

Do be sure to turn you gas valve off, and DRAIN THE FLOAT BOWL. Everybody forgets the float bowl, and gas washes back THROUGH THE AIR FILTER and into the airbox. That washes the oil out of your filter, and leaves you with no protection from dirt.

Old 01-27-2004, 10:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks reconranger.
Guess it would be easier to do that way it appears i would not have to remove the wheel or the mud flaps or anything, just remove the bolts from the front differential and slide it forward and pull the front drive shaft out.

Also thanks for the tip on running the fuel bowl dry after turning it off.

Question on the air filter, Do you just clean it with gas and then use the honda foam oil to relube the filter?

I drive it a little on the trails here no thick mud and mostly use it to pull a small 5 x 8 trailer, will try it during hunting season if i find some good places and might take it to one of the local atv trails arround here.
How often should you clean the filter?
Bought the 4 x 4 so I would not slide while trying to pull the trailer up a hill in the grass, my jimmy locked in 4 wheel drive tears up the grass and hopfully the atv will handle it better.

Old 01-27-2004, 10:43 PM
Pro Rider

Just use liquid soap and warm water to clean your filter, rinse it out good and then let it dry before spraying it with the Honda foam lube $hit. Honda's are a little picky when it comes to the filter so I would clean it every 300 miles or so--depending on how dusty conditions are. I usually tip mine up on the back rack and if I feel the need, I secure it with the winch to the roof using a beam or something--usually only if there are dogs or kids around.

Old 01-27-2004, 10:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

then i take it that it will not mess up the rear fender and tail lights I guess?

I weigh about 230 and I should be able to lift at least 250 lbs up, so I will give it a try when i put the kit in, the kit is coming tomorow..

Just a little gun shy, a new quad that i have to pay on for the next 5 years and i have visions of picking it up and hearing stuff break [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]