Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Goggles and eye glass wearers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2004, 09:58 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Goggles and eye glass wearers?

I will be taking a ATV Safty course with hopes of getting a better deal on my Insurance and the requirement is a helmet with goggles or a face shield.

I was thinking of getting a full face helmet and goggles or is the full face with the shield that folds down the street bike riders use the better choice for eye glass wears?
I will be using my rancher ES 4 x 4 to drag a trailer and light trail use such as hunting and some trail riding, not planning to play in deep mud holes or anything like that but some of the hunting trails are tore up as well as the places with trails for atvs.
Thanks.

Old 01-29-2004, 10:13 AM
Weekend Warrior

I wear goggles over my glasses now without any problems. The one advantage a shield has is it keeps the air off your face in cold weather. Another alternative is a snowmobile helmet. The whole front flips up on the models I've seen and when flipped down it looks like a full face helmet.

They are also making prescription inserts for goggles that I am very interested in.

Old 01-29-2004, 12:03 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 165 Likes on 164 Posts

I used to use glasses, but they don't keep the dust out. Too many times had to stop and get dust out of my eyes so I could see the trail. go with the goggles.

Old 01-29-2004, 01:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks guys.

Old 01-29-2004, 01:56 PM
Pro Rider

I am not sure about the other manufacturers, but I know that Oakley makes a pair of goggles that are designed to go over the earpieces for glasses. They are a regular set of goggles that have a notch taken out of the sides to allow the earpiece to go through. Go to a dealership and check them out.

Ride On.

Old 01-29-2004, 03:32 PM
Range Rover

Go to motorcycle shops and look around. I have a pair of dark glasses from my motorcycle riding days that have foam on the inside around the lens that are comfortable and does a fairly good job of keeping the dust out. I also have 2 pair of goggles. One dark lens and one amber. Amber works good on cloudy dark days and towards evening, brightens things up. I have a half helmet when I do wear one. I like the lighter weight. When it's cold I put on a hunters face mask.lol

Old 01-29-2004, 03:39 PM
Range Rover

oops! you wanted something to fit over your glasses, sorry about that. Your dealer or any of the big catalogs should have what your looking for.

Old 01-29-2004, 04:53 PM
Range Rover

I wear Scott model 87 goggles (or model 89, can't remember) but they are the ones that fit over glasses very nicely. I hate the full face shields, too hot in the summer. Nice for winter, but no way for summer.

Old 01-29-2004, 08:15 PM
Trailblazer

Nubbin, what half helmet do you wear? I was thinking about getting one myself.

Old 01-30-2004, 01:00 AM
Pro Rider

When you are looking at goggle models look for OTG's - Over The Glass - those will have a bigger hole in them for your glasses to fit into - I have small glasses and mine actually fit into my regular Smith goggles but not super-comfortably. I try to wear my contacts when I ride.

Quick Reply: Goggles and eye glass wearers?