Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Polaris Vs Honda which is best for utility work??

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2004, 01:30 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris Vs Honda which is best for utility work??

I am at odds as to what to get for heavy farm work. I don't plan on trail riding but still want a smooth ride across the field. The Honda dealer naturaly slammed the Polaris 500 saying that it as 25 grease fittings and is belt driven. I was also told that the Polaris is constantly breaking down. I can't find anything in consumer reports for ATV's. Honda prices are about $1500 more than the Polaris 500. Which way to go?? I want something that is not going to break down in a year or two. HELP!!! I also would like to be able to go through the deep Wisconsin snow and put a plow in it as well. Pulling hay wagons around as well as a drag so I need power and four wheel drive is a must for muddy fields.

Old 02-22-2004, 02:05 AM
Sod
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: meyer712
I am at odds as to what to get for heavy farm work. I don't plan on trail riding but still want a smooth ride across the field. The Honda dealer naturaly slammed the Polaris 500 saying that it as 25 grease fittings and is belt driven. I was also told that the Polaris is constantly breaking down. I can't find anything in consumer reports for ATV's. Honda prices are about $1500 more than the Polaris 500. Which way to go?? I want something that is not going to break down in a year or two. HELP!!! I also would like to be able to go through the deep Wisconsin snow and put a plow in it as well. Pulling hay wagons around as well as a drag so I need power and four wheel drive is a must for muddy fields.
First of all, the Polaris has only 3 grease fittings. You site smooth ride, towing capacity,ability to get through deep snow and snow plowing as your priorities for this machine. With the Honda line-up you would need to look at the Rincon in order to get the IRS which is a must for a smooth ride and the ability to get through deep snow. However, you also need towing capacity and the Honda Rincon is only rated for 850#. The Honda Rincon is also one of the most (is not the most) expensive utility machine on the market. The Polaris 500HO has the IRS and rides like a Cadillac. It also has more ground clearance that the Rincon which will help get you through deeper snow. The Sportsman has a rated towing capacity of 1250# which is about 50% more than the Rincon. The Sportsman has true 4wd as compared with the Rincon with 3.5wd. The true 4wd is a huge advantage when pushing a snow plow and driving in deep snow. The Sportsman 500HO is probably the very best ATV in the Polaris line-up. The Sportsman has a bullet proof motor which has been on the market for quite a few years. Polaris now has a lifetime warranty on the drive belt. If you keep it in low range when you are working it, you will never have a problem. The Rincon doesn't even have a low range. I would encourage you to look at the drive train components on both machines. You will find that the Polaris is built much heavier than the Honda. The Polaris fits your needs much better than the Honda.

The Rincon however, is a great machine. Honda makes great products! Honda is know for great reliability. If you decide to buy one, I am sure that you will really enjoy it.

Go for the Polaris - - - it is the better machine for what you are looking for. When you get around to buying a Snow Plow, be sure to check out the Polaris "Glacier Plow". It take 30 seconds to take it off or put it on!

Old 02-22-2004, 02:07 AM
Pro Rider

The 4x4 system on the Polaris is alot better than the Honda 4x4 system!! All 4 tires turn on the Polaris where as the Honda could sometimes 3 wheel its way around!!! The Polaris will pull heavier loads than the Honda will!! The polaris also has IRS(so does the Rincon, but with no low range and pulling things all the time, I'd go with polaris) But both dealers will bash the other to get your money!! Personally I think the Rubicon with the low range, but not IRS, or the Sportsman 500 will DEFINATELY get the job done!!! Reliability is truly in the owners control MOST of the time!!

Old 02-22-2004, 02:20 AM
2TV
Pro Rider

For an ATV you plan to just keep on the farm and use for heavy work, the Polaris should be at the top of your check out list. They are probably the best right out of the box for this type of usage because they are heavier than most of their competitors (and certainly the Hondas) so they will be the best at general towing chores. They also deliver a plush ride, better than most other brands. If you are looking for maximum towing capacity you should get one of the bigger models. A 500 will tow a lot but a 600 will tow more. Theoretically a 700 would do even better but I’ve heard some people say they like the performance of the 600 better than the 700…

Old 02-22-2004, 04:11 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

meyer712 let me first say that I agree with all of the above posts.

Now let me say that I bought my WORK quad last year. I checked out ALL brands. And I do mean checked them out. The dealer close to me sold the big 5. This was nice because I could see all of them side by side. I work with my quad so I needed everything you do and maybe more. What did I buy? A Bombardier traxter 500. Go look at one. You will see the difference in build, between that and the Honda anyway. The Polaris is a very nice machine and that would be my second choice. They are heavy and built very nice, just like Bombardier. I'm not knocking Honda. I own several of their products and love them. To give you an example. Just look at the brakes of the Honda and then look at the Bombardier or Polaris. See the difference? Look at the frame. See the difference?

If you want a "tractor type" quad then I would buy a traxter. If you want something for play and some work then I would think about the Polaris.

I thought about this again and you said "heavy farm work". So I will take that back and ONLY buy a traxter!!!!

Thats my 2 cents!!!!!!!

Old 02-22-2004, 11:49 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Rincon is no work quad. It is aimed straight at the recreational rider, and I don't think Honda even pretends it is anything else. The Foreman 450 is the quintessential work machine in the Honda lineup. Or, the Rubicon (Rubicon not Rincon....to many R's) if you need more horsepower (but a more complex machine!).

I have just never been able to warm up to anything in the Polaris lineup. Their designs just seem so contrived. Like some sled builders decided to make a thing with 4 wheels, and didn't think it out real well.

Old 02-22-2004, 01:14 PM
lax
Weekend Warrior

All the info above is good, but a IRS suspension squats in comparison to a solid axle machine thus eliminating any ride qualitys that an IRS is designed for when hooked up to a trailer. Ground clearance is another issue, some manufactures take the measurement at the bottom of the pegs, steering, or frame. Also does the machine have dual a- arms for front suspension this can make a differance in the strength of a machine as far as overloading a front rack. One of the most important things to me is resale value after 2 or 3 years of work. Test ride whatever you may be interested in and due the same with comparable models from the competition. A good salesman would have no problem with loading a trailer up with some weight and let you tool around the parking lot if the really believe in their product

Old 02-22-2004, 01:19 PM
Range Rover

Meyer

Check out the 'need advice' thread a few lines down.

REV

Old 02-22-2004, 04:41 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The SP 500 is a great ATV, but every comparison I have ever read that put a SP500 and a Rubicon to work, rate the Rubicon on top and the SP500 as being the "sportier" of the two. Reconranger is correct, the Rincon is not a "utility" oriented ATV, it is the "SUV" ATV. It is a lot closer to a sport ATV than a utility. Driving around your farm pulling a trailer or mower or what ever, I don't think an IRS will ride so much smoother it would really matter. The faster you go the smoother the IRS gets, at very low speeds it is no big deal.

Old 02-22-2004, 06:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for this information. I am leaning toward the Polaris. But will look at the traxter as well. I am new to the ATV thing and know little to nothing about them. I do appreciate the assistance. I also plan on researching further, This web forum is a big help. I am glad I stopped by to gather information from so many knowledgeable people. I appreciate good solid information from experienced owners, saves me time in research.

Quick Reply: Polaris Vs Honda which is best for utility work??