Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Polaris Vs Honda which is best for utility work??

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 08:16 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris Vs Honda which is best for utility work??

This is has probably already been said by more than one person but I saw the thread title and couldn't resist. For plan old reliability, hard work and quality: Honda is best on earth, truly. That Honda will outlast a Polaris over and over and over. Solid fact, I don't care what anyone else tells you. There's my 2 cents.

Old 02-23-2004, 11:15 PM
Range Rover

Rhino,

I hear you about Honda reliability. Their cars were at one time top of the bunch. Now they're good, but no where like before. I have a 92 Acura Legend with 204,000 miles and it's as good today as it was the day I bought it in 95 with 23000 on it. The motor has never been touched, the transmission is untouched, it;s got the original exhaust front to rear, and it still gets 22mpg and doesn't use a drop of oil. The A/C has never been recharged. The only thing I've done to it other than oil and filter changes is timing belts every 90K, and I just put half shafts in in the last 6 months. Thats it for 204000 miles. I had a 96 Accord and it was junk compared to the legend. Now even Acuras are rebadged Hondas. My legend was a unique car (meaning not a Honda platform of the time). Like all corporations, make it cheaper, lighter, faster, and let the customer deal with the fallout.

Rant over ... LOL

REV

Old 02-24-2004, 01:13 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: REVHIGH
I for one have found that my ACT suspension on my AC500 is very strong, and seems to be the best mix between IRS and single shock swingarm. I for one have no real interest in IRS until they get a lot better than they are now. In my opinion they still need to do a lot of geometry work to eliminate the extreme tire scrubbing and squatting that is so prevalent in the industry today.

So far, the only IRS that kind of makes sense to me is the one on the Bombardier Outlander. It's A-arms are independent front to rear rather than ACROSS the vehicle, as in the current crop if IRS's. This eliminates all tire scrubbing, and squat is also minimized. The current race between manufacturers for ground clearance numbers and suspension travel will change very soon I think. I think we're going to see a change to that (Bombardiers Outlanders) design in the next few years, and then all these guys who are extolling the current IRS systems are gonna have to sell their machines and get the new and improved IRS.

If you haven't seen it, check out the suspension on the Outlander. It makes a whole lot more sense than the lateral IRS's, except of course it's biggest downfall is that it doesn't look like a little Hummer from the rear, whidh is what everyone seems to want. LOL

REVHIGH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My family has 2 Bombardier XP watercraft and they are wonderful but I'd never sell my Yami's for a Bomber!!! Gotta have that diff-lock and the Yamaha written on the side!! I can buy new tires to get ground clearance!

Old 02-24-2004, 01:26 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: RhinoOffRoad
Originally posted by: RedGoblin
For plan old reliability, hard work and quality
although i also recommend the honda for this application, youre mistaken about honda reliability. back in the 80s when atc/atvs were imported, honda built an awesome reputation for reliability that they still bank off of today. in reality, hondas are built here now by regular joe 6 pack just like yamahas, kawasakis, etc. and they are no more or less reliable anymore than any of them. everybody builds reasonably dependable machines today. polaris quality has come a long way since '99 and they are no more or less reliable than anybody else either.
Rhino, PLEASE START A POST OF THIS IN A FORUM SOMEWHERE!! Yo are so right about every word you just said!!!!! Honda gained its "GREAT" reputation from the past whereas Polaris gianed its "POOR" reputation from the past as well! NOwadays I think Honda, Yamaha, Zuki, Kawi and Polaris are all about the same in Quality if all manufactured here in America!!

Old 02-24-2004, 10:02 AM
Pro Rider

I have seen a lot of old Polaris 500’s. There IRS system is completely over built and near bullet proof. It will squat under heavy loads, but so will a straight axle with the same weight. I have never seen any more tire ware on Polaris IRS quads then straight axle utility’s either, and the handling is greatly improved over straight axle quads at fast trail speeds because the tires stay in contact with the ground. On a straight axle Utility quad the rear tires can completely leave the ground, and if you’re not ready for it when it happens, you can get yourself into trouble quickly. The Polaris CVT belt drive is also a proven design that works great and is capable of heavy work loads without slipping and long belt life.
With all that said, I like in the K.I.S.S (Keep it simple stupid) theory.
If I was going to buy a quad for working around the farm doing slow, heavy work, all day, every day, I’d probably get the air cooled Honda Utility (Rancher?) . I’d trade the cushy ride, true 4X4, and power of the Sportsman for the Honda reliability and simplicity.

Old 02-24-2004, 10:18 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another thing to think about. If you are mostly putting around at slow speed, you may want to go water cooled rather than air cooled!! At least the water cooled will have a fan that will kick in when things get hot.

Old 02-24-2004, 01:38 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

It will squat under heavy loads, but so will a straight axle with the same weight.
Thats not true. An IRS has the hitch attachment point on the center section of the machine (it's sprung). This will "squish" the suspension. With a straight axle, the attachment point is on the axle. When this is done, there is nothing to squish (it's unsprung).

Another thing to think about. If you are mostly putting around at slow speed, you may want to go water cooled rather than air cooled!! At least the water cooled will have a fan that will kick in when things get hot.
Thats a really good point!!!!!!!!! Another plus for a water cooled quad.

Old 02-24-2004, 02:59 PM
2TV
Pro Rider

It really depends on how heavy “heavy” is. In my experience with my IRS Grizzly, I do a lot of heavy pulling (seasonally), mostly dragging logs, and I have had no problems. I’ve mowed with it too but I wouldn’t consider my 628 lb mower a “heavy” towing job at all. The heaviest rolling load I’ve pulled is probably when I towed a dead Chrysler Minivan for about 200 yards (all up hill, starting on a gradual incline with a steeper section at about the half way point. One time a roll-back brought a car along this same path and had one heck of a time getting up that steeper section, he finally made it after several attempts at backing up and getting a faster run at it). When I was towing the minivan I had the Grizzly in low range and 4 wheel lock for maximum traction. The Grizzly did do a little “bucking” at times and this was probably due to the IRS suspension.

I have had no trouble dragging logs, and I’ve pulled logs as big as the grizzly could move without digging holes with the tires and going nowhere (if that happens I have to cut the log shorter). I don’t use a log arch either, just a chain around the log & attached to the hitch (which I’ve broken twice doing this and each time I’ve made strengthening repairs).

However there is no denying that a quad with a solid rear axle would do the job more efficiently, but the IRS design will give you a smoother ride when you are not towing. Also as Rhino pointed out you do have to worry about extra stress on the CV joints that are part of the IRS design. Towing on a regular basis would shorten their useful life and you may find yourself replacing them more frequently than if you weren’t using it for a towing vehicle. That being said I think the largest Polaris models will be able to handle tow loads higher than my Grizzly because if nothing else do to the weight of the quad. Plus the largest Polaris models have more weight, HP and torque than the largest solid axle Hondas available right now. So again it comes down to how heavy is “heavy” if your choice is limited between Polaris and Honda.

Oh, and about the water cooled point, theoretically this should be an important feature especially at slower speeds where air cooling isn’t as efficient. However in my experience during my mowing sessions (several hours at a time) using my air-cooled 600 Grizzly that was eventually replaced with my liquid cooled 660 Grizzly, both machines over-temp lights would come on after the same amount of time (generally several hours of mowing in warm temps), but the liquid cooled engine is probably running cooler on average than the air cooled one and that’s better for engine longevity. I never tried adding any of those cooling agents to the cooling system yet, one day I plan to try that and that may make a difference…

Old 02-24-2004, 03:49 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Doctorturbo
It will squat under heavy loads, but so will a straight axle with the same weight.
Thats not true. An IRS has the hitch attachment point on the center section of the machine (it's sprung). This will "squish" the suspension. With a straight axle, the attachment point is on the axle. When this is done, there is nothing to squish (it's unsprung).

Thats a really good point!!!!!!!!! Another plus for a water cooled quad.
I know the Rancher has a fan that kicks in when it gets hot and its not water cooled!

Old 02-24-2004, 03:50 PM
Range Rover

One thing that hasn't been discussed (I don't think) is tongue weight. THat is what will cause an IRS bike to squat, simply towing or dragging will have less of an effect on squatting than tongue weight, which will actually 'squash' the suspension on an IRS bike, and will simple push the tires down on a solid axle machine.

REV

Quick Reply: Polaris Vs Honda which is best for utility work??