Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

tires all around whats better?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2004 | 10:41 PM
Pro Rider
Default tires all around whats better?

Badland Carlisle radial or a little more expensive ITP Holeshot ATRs.

Old 09-20-2004 | 06:47 AM
Range Rover

The bighorns are heavy but tough. Ive had good luck with them as an all around tire.

Old 09-20-2004 | 09:35 PM
|
Pro Rider

when you say the bighorns are heavy how heavy? do you know the exact weight.?if not are they heavy like some of those insane all out mud tires?
or not quite?

Old 09-20-2004 | 10:32 PM
Trailblazer

spikeland, The 25" BigHorns weigh the same as a set of 26" Lites which is 97 lbs for a set of four. I installed a set of the BigHorns on my brothers Eiger and they are a good all terrain tire although we are having problems with wheel shake at medium to high speed. Have been in contact with the distributor and we are waiting on Maxxis to acknowledge they have a problem with some of the tires. As far as traction performance goes we are satisified but not blown away with them. My MudLites perform just as well in all terrain that we ride and better in the mud. Also the MudLites will wear if the majority of your riding is on rocks and you are heavy on the thumb, but if you are on trails they will wear much better. I have over 500 miles on a set and they are in very good condition still bit I have seen them.

I have read reviews from a couple of people using the MudHooks Extreme tires and so far they are very happy with them. They are a large 26" tire measuring up to a true 26" if not even a little more, where as the Mud Lites 26" tire only measure up to 25 1/4 with 4.75psi. The compond of the Hooks is stiff and should wear well but I have heard that they are heavy but do not have actual weights. I imagine they will weigh similar to other 26" mud tires which is in the 110 lb. range on average. I am considering a set of them for my Grizzly.

Old 09-21-2004 | 03:23 AM
Pro Rider

DKNARND,
How do you like the QS1. Is there a significant power increase over stock and how loud is it compared to stock. I want to go to a new pipe on the Griz but don't want to be obnoxiously loud either. I still like to sneak around a bit.

Old 09-21-2004 | 09:40 PM
|
Pro Rider

hey dknard thanks for the info.your explenations are very thorough and helpful[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]i wish i could find reviews on the xtreme mudhooks or talk to someone who owns them.thanks again

Old 09-25-2004 | 02:05 PM
Range Rover

The Mud Lites have issues with puncturing (from what I've read). I have a friend who punctured his brand new lites on a harvested corn stalk when driving through the field.

I have 27" Dirt Devils and it took me months to decide which tire to get. I had never purchased aftermarket tires before.
I can only tell you my opinion on them, so you will need feedback from others on the other models you are contemplating.

I could NOT BELIEVE the difference from stockers to these tires. it's un friggin real how much more crap you can go through.
It's singlehandedly the most significant aftermarket change I've put on my grizzly....and it's not even close. And I have ALOT of accessories (pipe, air filter, jet kit, CDI, etc, etc. etc)

They ride very well on the trail and bite awesome in the mud, but I (Can only) assume there not as good in the mud as a true mud tire like the outlaw or mudzilla. For trail riding with great bite in the mud, etc, they are a great tire. You would not be disappointed.

NOTE: ALL aftermarket tires (with aggressive tread patterns) are going to significantly slow your ATV down. You will notice a decent loss in power off the line. A clutch kit will usually alleve this though.

Old 10-18-2004 | 07:31 AM
Pro Rider

I don't know alot about tires but I really like mine. ( see signature below)

Ryan

Old 10-18-2004 | 10:18 PM
Range Rover

im not sure what there called but ive heard that the new 05 tires for sportsmans work pretty good, just my 2 cents

Old 10-19-2004 | 12:21 AM
Pro Rider

They are the same tire as the ITP Wetlands biohaZ. I just put a set on my 02. They ride better than my Mudlites and are more agressive, I did step up to 26's. They are a very good tire for trails but won't compare to a true mud tire and I think they are more durable than the mudlites.