Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Riding in deep snow

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2005, 12:46 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Riding in deep snow

Not me I will try to find it and see if it is anyone that I know.

Old 01-22-2005, 02:17 AM
Trailblazer

Loki, he doesn't have anything listed right now. He might be from Manley Hot Springs and not Arctic Circle Hot Springs. Do you pick up antler when you're riding your Atv? Me and my buddies are always looking to find it or buy it. We search the caribou calfing grounds south of the Susitna River soon as the snow melts. All cow antler though. My friends in the Brooks Range sell me Bull caribou antler they find or shoot on snowmachine. We also have a bunch of places in south central where we search for moose antler on atvs as soon as spring hits. Another reason to ride!

Old 01-22-2005, 02:42 AM
Pro Rider

Good idea I'll have to keep my eye out too. By the way what can you sell these for?

Old 01-22-2005, 04:33 AM
Trailblazer

If I see them I pick them up. I make buttons from them. I got Elk, Moose, Boo, also make buttons from old coins and some silver coins. Good for belts and hat bands or conchos for chaps. Just a hobby. Lots of horns up here. We have the big boo herd come through each year, and there are lots of male sheds.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-22-2005, 09:52 AM
Pro Rider

I'm going riding later today, the weather should be somewhere in the mid 70's this afternoon. A little rain fell last night keeping the trails from getting too dusty. It should be real nice day.

I'll bet your summer riding in is awesome, well except for the state bird (mosquitoes). I was up there a few years ago on a family trip and I swear I had to keep my youngest kid tied down or the skeeters would have carried him off. You fellows enjoy your great state it sounds like a place that certainly will separate the men from the boys.

If you ever need to thaw out is really nice this time of year and the best part is you never have to scrape the sunshine off your windshield. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-22-2005, 12:56 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: Outrage
Good idea I'll have to keep my eye out too. By the way what can you sell these for?
Like anything thing else it depends on many variables. The stuff is graded. Natural color no defects is top, then stuff that turned white from sun then stuff that got chewed on and has some deterioration. If you have both sides of the rack matters too. Ball park figures are 3-4$ a lb for female caribou antler up 7-8$ a lb for bull caribou, the good antler that is. Moose can run a little higher 8-10$ for the best. Having both sides to a rack increases value, but it's all in who's selling and who's buying. I carve Whalebone, Ivory, antler and Sheep horn for a living and know people who do the same. We deal in hundred pound lots mostly. Try to buy cheap and sell dear like anything else. There are web sites that sell antlers , check out the prices they pay the people who have it for sale.

Old 01-22-2005, 03:45 PM
Trailblazer

I lived in Wyo before I moved to Alaska, and there is an Elk Refuge in Jackson. They used to let the Boy Scouts, pick up the sheds, and sell them, and there were tons of them. Then the Japs decided that ground up elk horn was good for their sex drive, and the price of horn went up into the $25+ / pound price range, and they stopped the Boy Scouts, as they were making too much money. Then they invented Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word ,and the price of Elk Horn went right back down to the bottom. The best Elk was the ones in Velvet, they started a lot of poaching down there. Just to keep the Rising Sun, Rising.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

I bet is was some one from Manley. There is onoe guy here that has tons of them but I do not think he sells them. I will ask him though and if he does I will find out what he wants, and let you know. Are you interested in Boo????? We have one of the big herd come through each year, 20 to 25000. and they do leave a lot of horns. The early snowmachiners pick up a lot. Now there is about 4 feet of snow and you don't see nothing on the ground.

AZ, now that sounds tempting. I went to school in Tucson back in the 50's. and did a restaurant in Scottsdale one summer in the 60's. Thought I was going to die, but I sounds good right now. Sun will not hit my cabin for another month or so. I am getting stiff, where I do not want to be stiff.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] I am planning to go out in March and miss breakup, and AZ is one of the stops on the way down to the Gulf coast. Want to try some salt water fly fishing.