Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Riding in deep snow

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 10:54 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Riding in deep snow

I agree with roscoe69. When riding at -10 to -60 conditions it's nearly imposible to get the ice off. I hook up a water hose to the indoor fascut and use nothing but HOT water. Even then you can't get the ice to fully melt off your machine because at these conditions it freezes faster than it melts.

Old 01-20-2005, 12:26 AM
Trailblazer

How do you get yours to start at -60?????? YOu must live in the interior too. The coldest that I have been able to handle is -35. We have not seen any -60 this year. Just finished some -54 stuff, but not down to -60 for us. When you want the ice off, just throw a tarp over it and put two sticks of stove pipe on the end of a space heater, and let it sit for an hour or two. Will just melt off.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-20-2005, 02:14 AM
Pro Rider

No -60 yet but we've seen a few -20s. I'm mostly talking about wind chill factor and throw in some riding at 30+mph riding and you have a recipe for COLD!

Old 01-20-2005, 02:48 AM
Trailblazer

with the wind chill on a RTV, I would think you were talking about -80. Everything I have has a wind shield. I could not stand it with out. I plow a mile of road and three drives, so I can get to my cabin, and would die with out something to break the wind. Sounds like you are haing some fun. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-20-2005, 08:46 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: roscoe69
yep when you are out for ten to twelve hours at -30 c plowing through a foot or so of snow and under it is half frozen muskeg there is no just taking the snow and ice off, its solid ice and chipping away at it will screw up a boot, wire , hose. take my word for it i didn't just show up here yesterday.
i know what you mean, ive been riding in the snow since i started riding. ill give you a tip. get a heavy duty tarp and put it over ur quad. than put one of those lights that have 1 000 000 candle lightpower and put it on under the tarp and all the ice and snow will come off

Old 01-20-2005, 10:27 PM
Trailblazer

Man, you all are riding in sub zero temps and here I am complaining about 20 degrees! What does one wear when its -20 degrees outside? What do you do for eye protection? I am impressed that these machines even start at thse temperatures!
Rog

Old 01-20-2005, 10:35 PM
Pro Rider

yeah i know i rode my atv when it was 15 and i couldn't move my hands when i got off. i couldn't emagine -30 -40

Old 01-20-2005, 11:45 PM
Pro Rider

First off you have hand gards with heated grips and thumb warmers. Thick gloves and dress in layers and lots of them. I normally ride with goggles but no matter what kind I try they all fog up when it's this cold so I go without. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img] There are time that my eyes will freeze shut when I blink so I have to stop and pull them back open. Sometimes I wonder what the heck I'm doing out in the middle of this stuff. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 01-21-2005, 12:45 AM
Trailblazer

You really want to know. Ok
Feet: two pair of heavy socks, and sometime a chemical Hand warmer unter the toes of each foot. Baffin Boots, their heaviest.
Legs: Long Johns, wool pants, and Remia Snowmachine pants over them.
Upper body:turtle neck long john top, Wool or fleese shirt, wind stop fleese vest, some times a wool sweater, with a zip front.
Heavy Parka,( Snow Goose Mantra from Canada) over the whole mess, with a wolf and wolverine Ruff.
Head:Beaver hat, with a fleese cap with a short bill underneath, Fleese face mask that comes to eyes, and covers throat.
Hands: Light gloves, and Beaver Mitts over them. Also carry a good pair of snowmachine gloves, in case I have to do something, or it is not as cold as I thought.
If I wear a Helmet, itis a Skidoo modular, but they start to fog at -35, which is usually when I quit riding.
I carry gogggles with double lenses, and they do not fog unless I forget to raise them and start to get hot, when I am doing something
All of my machines have windshield,!!!! Handwarmers , except the Rhino. The windshield is the key to keeping really comfortable.
I do not ride for fun when it is that cold, but I use my RUv'v and ATV's to get to the PO, and our one little store, which is 8 miles away, and I use them to plow so I can keep my road open. I put about 5000 miles on my machines each year. Mostly work or fishing, in the summer. I have ridden once at -50, and that is no fun. These are ambient temps,with no wind chill. Wind chill only counts on exposed flesh, and I do not expose any!
Hope this answers your questiong.
WE are all a little nuts. Or as we say, " We are all here Because We are not all there."
I live just south of the Arctic Circle in a town??? 70 people within a 20 mile radius. Lots of room.

Old 01-21-2005, 03:33 AM
Range Rover

Loki2, Im just impressed you guys have the internet that far north and in such a small town, must be a research station or somthing?

Quick Reply: Riding in deep snow