Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Riding in deep snow

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2005, 04:11 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Riding in deep snow

No research station. Just my cabin. 28 by 16. I have a Starband Sat dish, and that is the only internet service here. had to buy the dish. I had the Internet before I had power. Ran the house and my dishes from my Gen Set. Only got Power two years ago. Still haul water, and still have my Gen in place in case power goes down.
I have 3 sat dishes. 1 for internet, and 2 for TV. Life if good. I look like a research station.

Old 01-21-2005, 05:10 AM
Trailblazer

Hey Loki, ya got any skeeters around there?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] I lived a couple hundred miles north of you in the Brooks Range for 10 years back in the 70's and 80's. I trapped in 3 directions 60 miles one way. Up to Umiat in the north, North Fork in the east and Hunts Fork in the south. Plus I roam hunted for wolves on some days in between checking traps. Rode between 400-500 miles per week on snowmachine. Never above zero cept on a rare day. When it would warm up to 10 below it felt balmy, short sleeve weather. No way I could survive with all white man's gear. Eskimo caribou skin mukluks with light weight socks or no socks, put heavy socks on and they don't stay as warm. Wolf head mittens with wolf fur liners, never use gloves also, bare hands inside or they don't work. Tried caribou and polar bear pants but to bulky and hard to keep from getting ruined. Airforce insulated pants with suspenders worked good enough. Caribou pullover parka from spring time hide. Wolf outer ruff with wolverine inner ruff, if you ever hear someone say wolverine doesn't frost up, make a big cash bet with them. Even with all this gear when it's 50 below traveling at 50 mph ya still have to jump off the machine every few miles and run around to keep the blood from freezing. Forget goggles of any kind, worthless. Peeling cheeks ,nose and fingertips from frostbite was just a normal irritant during the winter. It's fun stuff when you're in your 20's, I'd rather sit by the fire in my 50's than have that much fun anymore.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-21-2005, 06:05 AM
Trailblazer

Skeeters???? No we don't have any of them. At least not now! I don't think that ours are as bad as bad as up toward the Brooks, and ours are terrible. I am in my 60's and don't play well much in the super cold. I can handle -30ish with out too much problem but after that it is just not worth the effort, or the strain it puts on the equipment.
I mined up here for a while, till I managed to run my self over with our fuel truck, so I do not walk as good as I used to. Retired now, and am enjoying it. Get in as much fly fishing in the summer as I can, and then just play around my cabin in the winter. Thinking of going outside and seeing what some of my old friends are doing in Wyo.
Nothing beats Fur, wool, and Feathers!

Old 01-21-2005, 06:04 PM
Pro Rider

Lived in a log cabin for a number of years and had a 2 klick drive way . wife used quad to deliver son to bus and pick him up.used tarp and heat bulb to warm it up below -20 deg.

Old 01-21-2005, 06:37 PM
Pro Rider

well here in northern va we are suppose to get 1 1/2 to 2 feet of snow

Old 01-21-2005, 10:41 PM
Pro Rider

go fast. you need momentum. its just hard to get going. once your going gun it [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]lol, no, easy on the throttle!

Old 01-21-2005, 10:42 PM
Trailblazer

That is a lot of snow at one time. The intereior of Alaska is classed as a desert, due to the lack of rain. We get lots of snow but a little at a time. I think the worst snow we have had up here this year has been 8", but we have more than 3 feet on the ground, and unlike down there, it stays until spring. So the snow accumulates. At least it is easy to keep up with on the plowing.
I bet that much snow will screw thhngs up pretty good down there.

Old 01-21-2005, 10:51 PM
Pro Rider

when it usally snows that bad in one weekend we get out of school for about 4 days as the county cleans up. but it crazy if it snows one inch we get out of school virginia is so unprepared for everything. moday we got out of school cause it was 15F and a couple busses wouldn't start. northern viginia is so screwed up!!lol

Old 01-21-2005, 10:52 PM
Pro Rider

but it is all good the less school the better.lolbut i get good grades so i have nothing to complain about

Old 01-21-2005, 11:44 PM
Trailblazer

Hey Loki are you the guy from up there that sells moose antler on ebay?

Quick Reply: Riding in deep snow