Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Plowing advice sought.

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2005, 08:11 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plowing advice sought.

As many of you know, my new Rubicon finally arrived the other day. Today and into tonight, we are supposd to receive a good dump of snow and I will be plowing (for the first time) with an ATV.

I have a 60" Moose Utility and an '05 Rubicon. Any advice?

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-22-2005, 10:58 AM
Pro Rider

Here's a bunch of random tips:

Here's a good tip, don't get excited like me and go too fast![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Keep it around 5 MPH unless you are sure there are no bumps to trip the blade on. I also plow some driveways on busy streets so I went to Advance Auto Parts and got a $20 amber polished mirror beacon light that I plug into the DC outlet and set on my rack...works great. Look out for the little sewers at the tops of people's driveways, make sure you are aware of their location. If you nail one of those it can get pretty ugly. You can apply Turtlewax to the blade so the snow doesn't stick to it. Oh yeah, and don't get too happy and plow the whole street...that's real easy to do once you realize how fast and fun plowing is.

Have fun! Were getting another 6-12 inches here!

Old 01-22-2005, 10:59 AM
Trailblazer

When compacting or "raming" the snow in order to clear off a large area I found that the snow was sticking to my plow blade preventing the snow from rolling off like it should. I then sprayed the blade with 'Pam' cooking spary (WD40 worked well too) and it helped alot. I now find myself hoping for snow, which i never did before. Happy plowing.

Old 01-22-2005, 02:05 PM
Range Rover

Thanks fo rthe rpelies guys. Also, on the subject of plowing, do you guys add the Kalua to the coffee or pour the coffee in second?

Old 01-22-2005, 06:16 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

Originally posted by: WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
Thanks fo rthe rpelies guys. Also, on the subject of plowing, do you guys add the Kalua to the coffee or pour the coffee in second?

kahlua 1st,,,,,then top off with coffee
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-22-2005, 06:44 PM
Range Rover

Always best to get helpful hints form those more experienced. I would have completely screwed-up that whole Kahlua/Coffee thing.

Old 01-22-2005, 06:58 PM
Elite Pro Rider

push the snow @ the end of the drivway the same way the state plow trucks are pushing cuz if you push the other way thel come by and push it all back.... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] ... don that a fue times............

oh yeah. never and i meen never go fast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i hit a marker and flue of the quad good thing snow is soft!

Old 01-23-2005, 11:38 PM
Trailblazer

I had to plow my parents driveway for the first time in 2 years since I moved out cause I was visiting for the weekend. We had 12 inches of fresh snow. When you get snow that is deep like that you can only make a couple full passes down entire driveway before the snow will pile up real tall. When it gets like that we have found it is better to push the snow horizontally across the driveway (width wise) and into the yard another 5 feet or so. This will allow you to clear the majority off the driveway and it will put less stress on the atv. After you move it all off to the sides then begin making full passes down the entire length of the driveway to "clean it up".

Also don't forget to plow with the atv in Low gear. This will allow you to put more power to the ground.

Old 01-24-2005, 08:29 AM
Range Rover

Well the day went fine. I am very impressed with the abilities of the Rubicon. I plowed snow for years with a pick-up truck and always tried to shy away form driveways because unless they were big enough to be worth while and make some money, they were more trouble than they were worth. Well, not with an ATV! The maneuverability and efficiency is truly amazing. I did notice that the Moose plow got right down to the pavement when I wanted it too. Can't believe what I have been missing all of these years!