Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Which 500 4x4 is good for plowing snow?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2005, 02:36 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which 500 4x4 is good for plowing snow?

BigBaller,

You can't even sense the rear tires slipping before the fronts engage on the Polaris. It's like buttah.

Old 01-29-2005, 08:58 PM
Pro Rider

I realize that is your opinion propnut, but calling the tranny a "lesser performing belt transmission" is just rediculous.
Ridiculous you're trying to say? Saying that the Kawasaki CVT (that is what I was referring to) is a lesser performing tranny than the Rubicon's?

It's not just my opinion.

I don't see too many raving about the Kawasaki belt drive, but groaning that its a disappointment to be used with such an excellent engine.

Performance should not be simply limited to motor performance,

Even I can appreciate the Kawasaki's engine though.

Old 01-30-2005, 07:16 AM
Range Rover

I have a 2001 Polaris 500 HO and a glacier plow (razor blade). All 4 wheels with heavy duty snowchains on. We get tremendous amounts of heavy and wet snow and I was surprised how good it works. Dont wait until the snow gets too deep, I would say the best ist to plow as soon as it has up to 5 - 8 inches. Its a big difference if you plow on a vertical surface or uphill! And it is also a difference what kinda snow you get. I can imagine that 20 inches of Colorado-powder arent as difficult to plow than just 5 inches of our wet and heavy "concrete".

But again, I was surprised what power my Sportsman 500 HO puts on the blade. But without snowchains on the frontwheels, I wouldnt be able to keep the straight direction! The chains on the front keep me on track and the ones on the backwheels give me the push. And dont forget: The heavier a vehicle is, the better it is to plow!

For me, I am very satisfied with my Sportsman, the only problem I have (see another thread) we get too much snow in shoert time to be able to plow it without a V-plow on our 3 Mls driveway.

Old 01-30-2005, 01:25 PM
Pro Rider

4464, If you dont want to sell your scrambler. Why dont you throw a pair of chains on that. Itl work pretty good in snow.

Old 01-30-2005, 08:59 PM
Trailblazer

How's it going. I plow with a 2004.5 Polaris Sportsman 500H.O. and am very happy. I live in northern Ontario Canada on Lake Superior and know all about serious snow. The Polaris is heavy and the stock tires are very good for plowing. I don't use chains and I have the Polaris Glacier plow with 60 inch Razor blade which is higher than most straight blades. I emailed many magazines for advice on what to plow with and they all told me "Polaris with Glacier plow". Now I know why. The Glacier setup is nice cause it goes on and off very quick and easy (no lifting or pinning) and the mount plate can stay on in summer as it doesn't really effect ground clearance. The only issue I have had so far is it is hard on the winch cable. Mine has frayed. I contacted Polaris and other companies that make or sell ATV plows and they say this is common and caused by the cable getting crushed as it constantly rolls over the fairlead roller (mine is a roller failead) at such an extreme angle down to the plow harness. They all told me to switch to synthetic winch rope and Warn has just released a larger bottom fairlead roller (part number 69373) two weeks ago and they said these changes should solve the problem.

Old 01-30-2005, 09:46 PM
Pro Rider

Hello 4464. I got to agree with BigBaller. My 250 does just fine in 10 inches of snow. See my pics. I plow my drive and 4 neighbors (just for fun). The biggest problem you will have with your 400 will be the clutching. You need to change it so it engages at a much lower rpm (like stock). What is best for acceleration is not so good for plowing. I also got to agree with Catterman about belts. I think they are great. I might be more optimistic about the Honda hydrostatic if they made it continuously variable like a lawn tractor or a belt instead of the fixed positions.
BryceGTX

Old 01-30-2005, 10:26 PM
Range Rover

Hi Primus from Ontario!

I agree 100%. Same with mine. It goes excellent to plow with the razorblade, it goes on and off very easy (just seconds). Will replace the wire in spring. Do you know any V-plow on the market (other than the Polaris? ) or a blower attachment for the ATV ?

You Canadians have quite some good ATV stuff on the market...!!??

Old 01-31-2005, 01:13 AM
Trailblazer

Hey Svalbard11. My Polaris dealer has a snow blower in the showroom but I never noticed who makes it. I know it was around $3000.00 Canadian and the salesman said most of that cost was because of the Honda motor on it. He said you could get them with Briggs and Stratton power cheaper. I didn't pay too much attention though because 1-I didn't want to spend that much, 2- If my banks build up too much my neighbor has loaders and backhoes I can get to push them back, and 3- the blowers require all the mounting brackets that would make you want to pretty much keep it on all winter. I like the Glacier in that I can drop it no problem if I want to go play.
As far as non- Polaris V-plows I just got a Cycle Country brochure and they make them. They also make a power angler for their straight blades. It has an electric motor on the plow harness. I thought that was pretty cool.
I also noticed all you people south of the border are getting all the snow this winter that we're supposed to get. What's going on? lol![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 01-31-2005, 02:36 AM
Pro Rider

I would say get a Vinson or a 650 BF. Both have a SRA which is IMO a little bit better for pushing snow. All 500cc machines will do this job well so I'd ask myself what else am I looking for in a quad.

Old 01-31-2005, 03:45 AM
Range Rover

Hi Primus, thanks for the info. I know your area.....but I am not South of you, I am in Europe. We had a louzy winter without much snow as well, but now it seems all snow comes at the time. Is there a way to give me a message when you once visit your dealer and figure out the brand of that blower? I wouldnt mind to keep the blower attached - we can just use ATVs for the work - playing is impossible and not allowed. No space available. I cant operate with a loader because the winter-road is so narrow and steep. Its just a hiking-trail in summertime, our ordinary summerroad is part of a downhill area, so no way to plow there....

Quick Reply: Which 500 4x4 is good for plowing snow?