Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Plow report: 50" Super Duty Swisher on Eiger 400 4WD Auto

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 02:56 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plow report: 50" Super Duty Swisher on Eiger 400 4WD Auto

I looked at everything I could on plows and finally bought a 50" Swisher. A friend has a Cycle Country and I checked that out. I also did as much research as I could on various plows but there wasn't a ton of info out there comparing plows directly. I liked the Swisher because it can be pivoted from the seat of the quad, appears very well made, and was locally available for under $350 from Fleet Farm in Appleton, WI. It is very ruggedly built and the paint is a powder coat that looks more resilient than the other plow paints I have seen. Also Swisher has some other accessories (dump bucket, forklift etc) that utilize the same mounting system which I might consider in the future.

Installation was pretty easy once I found the extra brackets to mount to the A-arms on my quad. This plow mounts to the quad in three locations: one on each A-arm up front and one in the rear at the hitch hole. The fronts are quick release but the rear is a long 3/4" bolt that must be removed with tools. Without any hitch accessories you will not be able to have a trailer ball on your quad, unless you have one that is tapped for a bolt mount instead of a stud mount (which I jave). In a prepped garage you should be able to mount this plow in under 2 hours. It took me almost 3 because my garage is a mess, but I digress.

Now for the plowing. I have watched my buddy plow and he appeared to spend a lot of time fussing with his plow compared to the ease of use of this Swisher. No need to leave the quad to change angle. Also the CC plow seemed a little problematic with tripping the springs where it had to be reset often. No such problems with the Swisher. I had been concerned with only a 50" width but there is no problem with my quad running through unplowed snow (although I have OEM wheels and tires). I have only used the plow twice for 2-3 inches of wet snow each time and it pushed a straight path about 150 feet around a corner and up a hill without snow coming over the top of the plow. The wet snow did stick to the plow somewhat at times, which I had been concerned with (the powder coat paint has a very slight texture to it), but I don't think this will be a serious problem from what I have seen thus far.

The plow can be raised pretty high as it is out away from the quad. Mfr says 18" clearance but this may be a little optimistic. Pretty close though it will depend on the shape of your front racks, how close you assemble the plow to the quad, location of your fairlead etc. Another plus it doesn't seem to squat the front of the machine as much as some I have seen, perhaps due to the A-arm mounting system (at least some of the weight is not on the front suspension).

One more thing the quad pushes without a problem at all for anyone curious about this machine. Without chains. I have chains but didn't put them on this year.

I hope this information helps somebody, bottom line I would definately recommend this system at this time. Now I just wish it would keep snowing!