Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Mud tires

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2005, 09:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mud tires

so you could tell a big difference after you jetted. I'm installing a HMF utility muffler on my 450 kodiak tomorrow I was going to wait until I see if there is a power change just by the muffler 1st then rejett if I have to what air filter do you use I do tails hill and so mud

Old 05-18-2005, 11:59 PM
Pro Rider
Default Mud tires

HMF is the best pipe there is. The Utility series will give you a very noticible increase in power (they're also loud). I highly, highly, recommend the jet kit. They're very easy to install and come with clear directions. It's also where your real power increase will come from in conjunction with the pipe. When I installed my pipe (Supertrapp at the time) I didn't notice too much of a difference. But as soon as I installed the jetting....wow! what a difference it made. It restored all of the power I had lost from the bigger tires. I bogged in the mud before but after the pipe and jetting, it really can light them up. I ordered an Outlaw Clutch Kit today to further help when I switch to 26" Outlaws this Fall. I use a K/N filter with Outerwears pre-filter. Uni also is good and flows about the same. You will hear split opinions about each. Regardless of which one you purchase, it's important to properly maintain them.

Old 05-19-2005, 02:00 AM
Pro Rider
Default Mud tires

You guys I am not trying to sound like an old fart but don't go with a loud pipe, all it does is give our sport a negative image, go with something a little quieter and still get more performance than a stocker.

Old 05-19-2005, 06:30 AM
Pro Rider
Default Mud tires

Some folks have their own property and don't have to worry about noise levels. For those that do, the HMF Eco-System is the way to go.

Old 05-19-2005, 07:08 AM
Range Rover
Default Mud tires

.........Stay away from the Outlaw Radials. They have an extreme weak point in the sidewall and, subsequently, I have seen the cleats torn off the tire.
When I asked this forum about thoughts on tires awhile back, I was looking at Kenda's and ITP's............but several folks suggested looking at Dirt Devils. (I'd never heard of them)
I'd did some research.......asked around a bit............and bought a set of 25" Dirt Devils for my 400 Eiger.
I just got them mounted and have not gotten off road yet.........but while running them for a short distance on pavement I can tell you they are the smoothest, straightest tire I have ever felt on ANY quad.
They're worth looking at.

Old 05-20-2005, 06:17 PM
Pro Rider
Default Mud tires

If you are looking for an awesome mud tire, I will add another vote to everyone who already said 589's.

Ryan

Old 05-23-2005, 01:40 AM
Pro Rider
Default Mud tires

I have a BigBear and I hate the 589's. If you are an everything rider then they do ok, but if your looking for just Mud performance then the Mudzilla or the Outlaw are your options. I run 28-12-12 Zilla's all the way around on my Bear and I couldnt be more pleased with them. The ride is also good for a tire of there stature, not nearly as rough as the Outlaws. If your worried about power problems, dont be, as long as your in first the Bear as got it, with the Mods on mine I can usually pull second without much complaint. Install a lift kit and jump up to at least 27's, If your serious in the Mud, you going to need them.
-Lomax

Old 05-27-2005, 03:26 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Mud tires

Hey man
Are you familiar with the ITP Trailmaster? They only come in 26" and 27". It is their version of the Vampire and much less expensive! They are 6 Ply vs the Vampire 4 ply. Be warned they are a BEAR to mount so you might look at a wheel tire combo.

Old 05-27-2005, 06:33 PM
Pro Rider
Default Mud tires

I have 27" Mudlites on type 6 C-series wheels and love them, they go through the nastiest mud and the deepest snow but still ride great on hardpack and sand etc. great all around tire and some sweet looking tread lugs.

Old 05-28-2005, 12:11 AM
Trailblazer
Default Mud tires

Originally posted by: BigdogonaBigBear
Lookin for everyones help here, I'm lookin to get some serious mud tires. I want to be able to pull through the nastiest mud imaginable. They're goin on a 04 big bear not lookin to go any bigger than 26 but would like to stay with the stock size of 25. I like the vampire asx but they're only 4 ply. Has anyone had experience with these tires and is the 4 ply rating giving you a problem with unwanted flats. If anyone has any other suggestions on tires I would be interested in please send em my way. Thanks for all your help in advane.
Note that he said the nastiest mud imaginable which leads to the outlaws if you ask most mudders. You pretty much have Mudzillas, Outlaws, Mudbugs, 589s, Tri-claws, vampires, and vampire EDLs. For the nastiest of mud only four really fit into that category in which its the zillas, outlaws, Tri-Claws and vampire EDLs. The EDL's only come in 28's and so thats out of the question so its really between the outlaws, zillas, and tri-claws if you want a pure mud tire. All good but when it comes to the nastiest holes the outlaws take the cake.

Now if you want a tire that pulls and cleans out real well in the mud yet also does good on the trails the mud bugs cannot be beat. They're lighter than the 589's and clean out wayyyyy better. These tires never cease to impress me and i run outlaws.

Quick Reply: Mud tires