Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Utility vs Sport, 31yrs old, first purchase, here's the facts.....any advice will be much appreciated!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 11:59 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Utility vs Sport, 31yrs old, first purchase, here's the facts.....any advice will be much appreciated!

I guess I should clear up my position. I am not saying Kawi has a better belt drive than Suki, nor am I saying it does not. Belt drives are higher maintence than the rock solid honda gear trans in the rincon. I just keep hereing Goblin spouting that same BS about how high maintence the Kawi trans is and its not true. I own 3 of them and have allot of experice with differnt belt drive quads of several different brands . The only brand I have seen consistant premature belt failure with is Polaris. I do not think I am just a lucky Kawi owner either. You can go on forums and find fokes asking about problems and looking for help and it can be missleading since there are lots of people that do not have those same problems. We have a king in the family and its yet to have the reverse failure or some of the other problems you find common in the Suki forum. I ran a quick search on highlifter for susuki belt issues and there was several pages that popped up. Mechanical things break, I know nyroc has tech tips on belt adjustments for Kawi Praires, He also owns one he doesn't own a King. Nyroc and I are both looking hard at buying Bomb 800s. So I am not being brand loyal here preaching what I own is the best this and that. I am trying to relay information to this new buyer some of my experince with differnt quads that I have owned and what I think he might enjoy the most based on what he has told us. I think if he is truely looking to keep it kinda sporty and yet also have the utility benifits at a good price, I think the Brute 650 is a tuff quad to beat.

Old 07-20-2005, 01:02 AM
Pro Rider
Default Utility vs Sport, 31yrs old, first purchase, here's the facts.....any advice will be much appreciated!

Originally posted by: bigred500
Not to get in between you guys arguing which atv has the best CVT belt system, but I just thought I would throw in that the Honda Rincons don't have a belt to worry about at all. It has an automatic transmission like a truck has. You can also select between automatic or electronic shift.
Yeah and it also has no low range and poor engine-breaking. If Honda would drop their Hondamatic into the new Rincon, it would be a BIG plus.

Old 07-20-2005, 01:05 AM
Pro Rider

Alright I'm done. You're the first Kawasaki owner to EVER try to tell me the Prairies/Brutes don't require belt adjustments. It's in black and white ALL OVER in the Kawasaki forum. I asked a ton of questions about it of several Kawi owners myself back when I was thinking hard about a Prairie and they all told me it was a required measure, but not to sweat it. The mechanic at the dealership I spoke to which sells Kawasaki and Suzuki told me the same thing. I'll believe what I believe and you believe what you believe. Have a good one cc1999

Old 07-20-2005, 01:18 AM
Pro Rider

Here is a link wi th a 154 different results on Suki belts

My point is not to prove the Suki is bad either, because I know if I run a search on any belt drive quad i will find issues. Point being Not all of them are treated the same and not everyone has that problem. I have not seen any of those problems nore do I ride around in low all the time and have never had to adjust a belt. I am not saying no one has ever had to adjust a belt on one with some shims, but its not the norm like you keep telling everyone it is.

Old 07-20-2005, 01:34 AM
Pro Rider

Ok, I will agree to disagree with you but I am not the onlyone that has called you on this BS, You have been doing this for almost a year and your info would hold more water if you had actualy owned one rather than going on what someone told you. You said I was the only one that said this, last year we had this same debate and maddog told you the same thing Link

Old 07-20-2005, 10:04 AM
Trailblazer

Red Goblin, What do you meen "if they would put the hondamatic in the new Rincon"? I did a search for the 2006 Rincon and couldn't find any info. Have you already heard something.

Old 07-20-2005, 01:25 PM
Pro Rider

No, I haven't heard a thing. IF they did put the Hondamatic in it though, it would be great. I heard somewhere though that the Hondamatic can only handle a 500cc engine for some reason, but I don't know if that's true or not. Doesn't sound very credible. I honestly think Honda will be behind in the game once again this year with an underpowered and underfeatured big-bore sport/utility.

Old 07-20-2005, 01:44 PM
Trailblazer

I think you might be confusing the Rubicon with the Rincon. The Rubicon is a 500cc with out IRS. The Rincon is a 650cc with IRS. They both have the Hondamatic, I believe.

Old 07-20-2005, 02:43 PM
Pro Rider

Rubicon 500 SRA = Hondamatic Hydrolic trans (no gears) It can simulate gears and shift manualy
Rincon 650 IRS = Car type 3 speed auto (have been told its similar to the auto in a Civic)

Old 07-20-2005, 06:09 PM
Pro Rider

Yes, thank you. The Rincon NEEDS the Hondamatic, but it does not currently have it.

Quick Reply: Utility vs Sport, 31yrs old, first purchase, here's the facts.....any advice will be much appreciated!