Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Rescue / Wildland ATV

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2000, 03:37 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My rural fire department is looking to purchase an ATV for use as a back-country rescue vehicle and a wildland - lightning strike attack vehicle. We will be building trailers that can carry a patient in a stokes basket and EMTs or a 55-gal H2O/foam and tool set-up on a skid.

The requirements that we have are:
[UL][*]Automatic[*]4X4[*]400cc +[*]Good weight rating on the racks.[*]Good tow rating. The trailers will be tandem axle design (2 tires in rear and 2 on a truck in front), so tongue weight is not a concern. The medical trailer will be approx. 800lbs with a patient and possibly 2 EMTs. The wildland trailer will be approx. the same weight with 55-gal water, foam, pump, hose, and tools.
[/UL]

We have to stay within the labelled weight ratings of the racks, tongue, and tow rating for liability reasons.

We will have a medical jump kit attached to the front rack. The rear rack may hold a small water tank or miscellaneous tools. We will be adding a snow plow mount, a winch, work lights, a small revolving emergency light and pin-switches for a brake light.

What are the pro's and con's to the various utility ATVs that may fit these rquirements?

Are there anybody else using ATVs in emergency response departments? If so, what are they using?

ATV model recommendations?

Old 10-20-2000, 07:36 PM
Pro Rider

FireFighter,
I haven't ridden most of the 4x4 utility quads that might fit your needs. But I can give you a run down of the one that I ride now. I ride a 600cc Yamaha Grizzly. Its an auto tranny with selectable 2/4 wheel drive. Its able to pull a 1200lb trailor, and can haul around 300lbs on the front and rear racks. It has a straight rear axle for durability and low maintainence. The engine braking is outstanding, and works to all 4 wheels when in 4WD. When pulling a trailor down a steep hill this would be a very big plus! I have an air/oil cooled engine with a heat activated fan on the oil cooler for less weight and lower maintainence. I believe the Grizzly has the tightest turn radius of all the 500cc+ utility quads. The auto tranny is very tight and effective, as well as resistant to water intake. I've ridden mine across rivers where I was floating most of the way and not gotten water in the tranny. Riding in hi range all day will not cause the belt to slip or burn. The biggest thing the Grizzly has on the other utility quads is POWER! I can tell you from experience that this quad is very well made and durable. I've ridden mine very hard at times and have never had any problems what so ever.
This is not the only quad out there that might fit your needs, but its worth considering. All I can say is that I ride mine alot harder I'm sure, then you would in the capacity that you mentioned in your post.And through it all, my Grizzly has held up and keeps coming back for more. Hope this helps some.

Rick

Old 10-21-2000, 03:02 AM
Pro Rider

FireFighter:
For your required needs, the two machines that come to mind are the Grizz, and AC 500. The SP500 is also a good choice, but for the towing and hauling you are doing on a regular basis, I personnally feel that a strait axle is better for working than an independant suspension. If you've done any serious work with pickups, you'll undestand what I'm referring too.

I own the AC 500 Auto myself, and have basically completely destroyed the myth that belt driven autos can not be used for work. I have my racks loaded to full capacity ALL the time, no matter where I'm riding, or what I'm doing. Actually, I'm a little over on the actual weight ratings. AC rates the front at 100 lbs., and 200 lbs. on the rear. Rated towing is at 1,050. Keep in mind though that all quad manufacturers UNDER rate in carrying capacity and towing capacity due to stability and breaking ability. Both the Grizz, and the 'Cat will definately be able to haul and tow more than what the manufacturer states. Granted, for liability reasons of the emergency response team, I'm sure you'll have to stick to the recommended ratings, but should you ever need to go over that, rest assured you won't have any trouble doing it.

If you're curious to see what I mean by "work", head over to the AC forum, dig back about 2 months I think. There's a few posts there about AC Auto's and work. Myself, as well as numerous other AC Auto owners have posted about what and how they work their machines, I'm sure you'll be amazed at the capabilities of the big Auto 'Cat.

As for specs, it's a 500, selectable 2/4 wd, high and low range with reverse. Disc breaks all around, with rear foot break separate if needed. Independant front suspension, with floating rear axle, which provides very smooth ride over all terrain, yet still very tough for work.

One of the other reasons I suggest these two machines over something such as a 450ES, or Rubicon, is that both the AC and Grizz are a larger machine. I personnally felt confined, and cramped on the Honda's, just not enough room, didn't "fit" me very well. Some of the paramedics in my area are fairly big boys, and wouldn't fit on anything smaller than the AC or Grizz, comfortably.

Anyway, hope that gives another idea. And again, the SP500 would be another good choice as it has true four wheel drive, though for work, I prefer a strait axle. Just personnal opinion I guess.

Mike

Old 10-21-2000, 05:35 AM
Pro Rider

I too would have to put the Arctic Cat 500 auto in on this cause it has the highest rated rack capacity in the industry(even tho the stiffer rear suspension of the Traxter carries more).

In my recent issue of Arctic Cat's PRIDE there was an picture of an Arctic Cat 500 FULLY dressed in police equipment. So Arctic Cats have been used by safety personal before. Arctic Cats were also used in the Olimpics.

I think that you should also look into the sp500 cause since the touge weight is of no concern it might be better for your aplication since it has a slightly higher towing capacity at 1225 lbs. But a down side is there reliability record and the lower rack capacity ratings.

Old 10-23-2000, 06:00 PM
Pro Rider

I would rate the Arctic Cat 500 #1 in the big-bore utility 4X4 department followed closely by the Polaris 500 Magnum, Yamaha Grizzly, and Polaris Sportsman. My reasons are thus: For low-speed heavy work you need liquid cooling. The Grizzly doesn't have it. It doesn't have a big problem overheating, but when you are hauling/pulling a lot at a slow speed, I would definately want it. I believe a solid axle is better than an independant axle for hard work, also. This is why I discounted the Sportsman. This leaves the A/C vs. the Magnum for the most desirable spot. I give the edge to the A/C because of its slightly higher rack capacity and slightly smoother ride. However, if smoothness of ride is important, keep in mind the Sportsman is the smoothest of the smooth.
Now if you aren't limited to a 4-wheel ATV, did you at all consider the Sportsman 6-wheeler or Ranger? Put tracks on them and they will go just about anywhere (heck, they do that without tracks). They have a cargo box in the back that just may carry that 55 gal foam setup. You will be able to haul it more places than you can tow it. I don't know what your rig will weigh, but check out the Polaris website to find out the cargo specs. The Ranger also has proper seating for two, along with an available roll bar & seatbelts, if you would need that, also. I don't see a lot of these 6x6s around, but am always amazed at what I see them doing. I have no idea if they would be at all what you are looking for, but they are worth looking into for a pure work machine.

Old 10-24-2000, 09:47 AM
Range Rover

One other machine to consider here would be the Polaris Sportsman 6x6. It can go just about anywhere and can carry more than just about any other machine.

I've seen these in action and they are very manueverable, almost as good as a 4x4. Put tracks on it and it will go anywhere.