Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

What ATV magazine favors Utilities more over the Sport Quads the most?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2005, 09:42 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What ATV magazine favors Utilities more over the Sport Quads the most?

I was thinking of making this a "poll" but wanted your opinions as well.

What is the best magazine that features more Utility ATV's instead of Sport ones?

I subscibe to ATVrider and ATVaction and they both def favor the sport bikes. In my opinion the best for Utilities is a new one called Quad and 2nd best is DirtWheels. I am thinking of not renewing the 2 I have know and going with Quad and DirtWheels but I didn't know what else I am missing.....(isn't there a ATVsport?)

Last but not least, I don't need to hear the comments about how magazines are full of BS and are biased to the advertisers. Some of that may go on but we, as subscribers, also pay the bills and w/o us they have no magazine. It is an enjoyment to read and only one source of info out of many for me.

Thanks

Old 10-29-2005, 11:43 AM
Pro Rider

I have come across only one publication that covers utility quads properly - John's ATV Magazine. Of course, it's published by me, with a readership of one person...

None of the existing publications really cover utility quads very well. In truth, if you want a utility quad, and especially if you want one to be a tool as well as a toy, you're on your own, and you'll have to conduct your own reviews. I actually had a pretty good time comparing utility quads a few years back, and in the end, came to the best possible conclusion for my situation. Back in 2002, the atv mags were all recommending the Grizzly for a big utility quad, and that was the year it had the boiling gas problem. Thanks, guys, you were a real big help. My own search identified a manual trans Cat 500i as the ideal machine for me (rocky farm to get across, need bags of ground clearance), and I've had three years of outstanding use out of it. Very reliable, no problems at all.

You have to keep in mind the typical readership of those magazines - a 16 year old with a juiced up 400ex or Banshee. The magazines do cater to their readers as well as their advertisers, and what the typical reader wants to hear is that their sport quad is the greatest thing since creamed corn.

Old 10-29-2005, 12:07 PM
Pro Rider

I think the new QUAD is by far the best atv mag out there. They cover all types of quads and maintenance and products equally. There is something in there for everyone.

Old 10-29-2005, 01:37 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ATV Magazine is pure utility. It is pretty thin however, and I'm not sure it is worth the price.

Old 10-30-2005, 10:26 AM
Pro Rider

JohnO,

very well said. Without bias as well.

The only way to find out which machine is best for you is to try them all and research each machine on forums such as this one to see what the areas of concern are. Of course all machines are going to have their issues and with that aside, which offers the power, ground clearance, handling, ergonomics, build quality, and appearance that you prefer. Then find a dealer that is going to offer the customer service that you expect.

Old 10-30-2005, 12:21 PM
Red Rider

Here's what I always say about the magazines:

I read them all, and I don't believe any of it! Just like this forum.

Old 10-30-2005, 02:16 PM
Trailblazer

QUAD is a great mag, but you only get 6 issues a year (at least it was the last time i checked). I'm considering dropping a check in the mail for a subscription. I like ATV Magazine too.

DW used to be a great utility mag back in the day, but since the sport quad market is booming again they're starting to go after them more. And when they do compare utilities, it always seems to be a "sport" comparison with jumping, powersliding, dragracing, etc. I believe their test riders these days are more sport quad oriented than the older staff was. I want to see mud runs, sled and trailer pulls, hill climbing, off-camber stability tests, load hauling (on the racks), ditch and creek crossing, etc... the kind of stuff us utility crowd are geared to do.

Old 10-30-2005, 03:40 PM
Red Rider

Do you really think the average utility rider is out pulling stumps every weekend? Most folks are just casual trail riders who like knowing they have the backup of 4wd in case they get into trouble out on the trail. So, in the mags., the emphasis is naturally going to be on what handles the best, the way most folks will ride it.

I have to say that many of the mags are based here in So. Calif., and this is sport bike country!!! Not that long ago, you never ever saw a utility out on the trail around here. Utes were used by good old boys for hunting and work, but never for recreational riding. In fact, you would be a little embarassed if your sport bike buddies knew you owned one (and your dirt bike buddies would NEVER let you live that one down). That has changed some, but I think the stereotype will live on for a good long while!

Old 10-30-2005, 06:17 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: reconranger
Do you really think the average utility rider is out pulling stumps every weekend?
Where'd you get that from? No I don't, and the test criteria I mentioned covers pretty much all riding conditions anyone in their right mind would use a 4x4 ATV for. Most mags like to test the sport part of it, but the utilitarian part of it tends to be left out. You mention testing in your area.... very little of the US mainland is dry and desert-like, just how the south western states tend to be. The vast majority is wooded or has what is classified as "dense vegitation".... with geographical features continuously cut out by rivers and rainfall, and that means quite a bit of "technical" trails with woods, mud, hills, etc. Most ute drivers are interested in how well a machine handles trail obstacles like mud, hills, rocks, creeks, ditches, etc just like i pointed out, because most will inherently come across those situations. Not just putting around on some dry paths.

Didn't say handling wasn't important neither, it is (mostly slow to moderate speeds and over rough terrain), but why in the world would anyone want to treat a 600lb 4x4 like a sport quad is beyond me. Jumping 5 feet off the ground, sliding around turns at stupid speeds, hauling tail at 40+mph through wooded and rocky terrain, and 60+mph on roads isn't exactly what qualifies as "casual trail riding".... and some magazines tend to do these kinds of things on "sport/ute" quads and rate them on it. That's why i haven't bought an issue of DW in over 3 years since their tests tended to get off of the point of what these machines are for. You can't put a professional driver on one of these big beasts, run it through a sport quad track like they do, and consider it even a decent comparison for the average joe to get a lot out of as far as the machine's abilities.

Perhaps the biggest reason i like ATV Magazine is that they are based in Mn, where the terrain there resembles what covers most of our great country. They get trail comparisons that most can compare with.

I agree that the best way to buy and ATV is the check them out for yourself. But i responded trying to stay within the scope of what the original poster asked. Threads seem to get sidetracked and hi-jacked all too often these days. And hell, i'm contributing to it with this very post.

Old 10-30-2005, 06:37 PM
Red Rider

Well, just for the record, California has a very wide variety of terrain, and that is the reason I have a set of utility bikes as well as sport bikes! Just because a lot of bikes are tested here, doesn't mean they are only teseted in the desert. I can ride open desert, dunes, rock crawling, tight technical woods trails, snow, high altitude mountains with stream crossings, and almost anything else I want within an hour drive of my house (and behind my house I have the wickedest near verticle hill climbs you could find anywhere). And, if I wanted mud, I can go dig a hole and fill it with water.

While no one place will be absolutely identical to another, a bike tested around here probably get a fairer shake (at least with regard to terrain) as anywhere you could ever choose. As far as criticizing them for testing for sport riding rather than pure ute riding, wasn't I actually agreeing with you??? I was just providing some perspective on that issue.

And, I do read ATV Magazine! But, I read it standing in the isle at the grocery store, so I don't have to pay for it.

Quick Reply: What ATV magazine favors Utilities more over the Sport Quads the most?