Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Rancher 350FM 4x4 vs. Prairie 360 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 04:58 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rancher 350FM 4x4 vs. Prairie 360 4x4

I am heavily debating between the Rancher 350FM 4x4 and the Prairie 360 4x4. I want a 4x4 Utility quad to do some trail riding, and light utility work. I am 6'2" @ 260lb. and am not looking for a speed demon, so top speed is not a factor, but I want to be able to go where I want to go, such as up hills through snow. I read in a recent mag that commented that the Rancher would stall out on steep uphills.....????? I never rode one, but that seems hard to believe.
I want maximum trouble free use and maintenance and use. I like the locker and low range of the Prairie 360, but was not sure if it's extra 60lb of weight would hurt it's performance. I also understand that the Honda acts as a locker by applying the front brake if one wheel is off of the ground. I need lots of advice here![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Thanks in advance![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 11-07-2005, 04:40 PM
Range Rover

i tihnk that it is the rancher 400 at that stalls on hills.. the 350 is a geat machine.. i have the 05 es model.. many people have had the 350 for years without any trouble... i dont know of mnay people with the prarie so i cant speak for that.. but the rancher is a geat quad.. i would highly recomend it especially because honda is usually a extreemly reliable... i would really recomend the rancher 350, manual or es.. they are both great... but some with the es have had some problems with sensors but they just had to replace them.. if you want the best reliability get the manual foot shift.

Old 11-07-2005, 09:34 PM
Trailblazer

Rider, I've got experience on the Rancher 400AT (auto/esp), 350ES, and the p360 4x4. Haven't experienced the stalling out for either machine except when it's cold and quad hasn't had warm-up time. Both (Rancher and Prairie) are cold natured. I personally like the ride of the Prairie better than the Rancher. It is a little bit bigger and definitely more forgiving. The Rancher is more rigid when going through some ruts, over logs, etc. This is not hard riding. It's normal stuff when riding the hunting land. Ride both...it's your money. The ride of the Prairie is better. Down side of the Prairie...potential belt issues. Not a big deal really. Make sure with the Prairie you ride low gear unless on flat terrain and winding it out. I'm 180lbs. and if I'm taking off on a good incline, I'll get a little belt squeal at start when in high. Ride both and see. Both are great machines and rock solid. You'll be ok on power with either one. Let us know.

Old 11-09-2005, 08:58 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have experience on both.Ill start off with the prairie. I have mine for over 2 years now and has well over 2000miles. I like to ride mine hard but also like to go on long easly traile rides. It does great both ways. The 360 will have and advantage over the rancher in the off-road capability dept, smoothness, etc. THe reason its better in technical areas is because of the diff lock, more flexing susp, and low center of gravity. The prairie is heavier than the rancher so the rancher will be funner if you like to go really fast and race on the trails. The 360 has much better brakes with the front disks and rear wet brake system. The rancher has drums all around. They both are pretty equal when you drag race. The rancher might have the edge due to the gears. They both can pull allot. For a smooth reliable atv that can do choores and get through allot of stuff, get the 360. For a smaller atv in size that is reliable and no belt, get the rancher.

P.S. Dont get scared by the 360 belt. I changed my belt because it was loos at around 2000miles but i could have adjusted it and it would have been fine. As long as you keep the 360 in low gear as much as possible when going slow(when a trail averages below 20), pulling, mudding, and hill climbing etc you will be fine.

The following users liked this post:
SurferChicUSA (12-11-2020)
Old 11-09-2005, 03:47 PM
Pro Rider

Both are very good, but I give my vote to the prairie 360.

1. Front Differential Locker: The prairie 360 has one and the honda is 3 wheel drive
2. Mulit-Sealed Rear Break: The prairie 360 has one and the honda uses drum.
3. Front Disk Breaks: The prairie 360 has one and the honda uses drum.
4. Low Range: The prairie 360 has a great low range. Not sure about the honda.

Old 11-09-2005, 09:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

got a 2006 rancher 350fm 4x4,the front diff has a limited slip unit,it is gear and roller type design=no clutch plates
when one wheel spins the unit engages and you get all 4 wheel drive=nknow from experience
there could not be a lower first gear than the rancher,i never use mine except for very steep hills or pulling something=start on in 2nd all the time,it does have drums all the way around,which i would kind of like disc atleast in front,i like how nimble the rancher is on trails=perfect size in the woods, i looked at many different types of atv's and one big reason i bought the honda was because of the reputation for being so reliable and low maintnence compared to some atv's,if i had to do it all over again i would definately go with the rancher,,i don't have any experience with the 360 though

Old 11-11-2005, 05:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

I myself own a 2005 Rancher 4x4 with a manual tranny and I hardly use first gear at all. As posted above.....the front diff. is a torque sensing unit and it will lock up when needed. I know this from use also.
One major change I made was to install a Warn 424 so I could take it out of 4 wheel drive and boy what a different machine! More pep plus it's a lot easier to throw the back end out in a curve.
I looked at Kawasaki and Yamaha before going with Honda.

Old 11-12-2005, 11:38 AM
Range Rover

They both seem to be great machines in their own right, but I think I am leaning toward the Prairie 360 for a couple of reasons. I end up on riding on paved areas some, namely one of our poker runs allows us to go through town to get gas and food, and the selectable 4wd is a big plus. I don't really want to have to add the 424 kit. I do like to explore in the snow here in PA, and the locker would really make that alot of fun. The disk brakes are a huge plus as well, as well as it coming in a Camo version for hunting and such. Alot of your replies has relieved alot of my worries about the belt system that concerned me at first, and reliability seems to be present with both machines.

Thanks for all of the info, and please keep the replies coming if you have any.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 11-12-2005, 12:30 PM
Pro Rider

As long as you keep it in low gear as much as possible like i said, youll be fine with the 360[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-12-2005, 07:50 PM
Range Rover

Well, I got my dealer to let me test ride a Prairie 360 2wd that he had from a trade in. I figured this would give me a good look at what the 4wd version will be like as far as power and handling in normal conditions. The choke location on the left control cluster was a pleasant surprise compared to the Honda's being clamped to the handlebar away from the grip. I also liked the easy access to reverse, quick and easy as with any CVT transmission I guess. I mainly rode in the paved parking lot and in a small grassy area with a small dirt hump on it. I originally thought that I was in low range and discovered I was in High range when I went to shift into High range. Low was actually much lower than I expected, but in a good way. This quad should crawl about as slow as anyone could want to go in really technical riding situations, or to move a loaded trailer etc. High Range is slow, but that is fine with me. Just guessing, a top cruising speed with undue revving, is probably about 35mph? Suspension was nice and comfortable as was the fit of the machine overall. Brakes were excellent!
Sorry to ramble on, just wanted to pass my findings on to anyone else considering one of the fine machines. I know a guy that has a Rancher 4x4 that has offered me to try it one day as well........

Quick Reply: Rancher 350FM 4x4 vs. Prairie 360 4x4