Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Sport-Utility?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 10:36 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sport-Utility?

Originally posted by: propnut
what? the results are by overall times, not time of day

the first ATV was 4 hours slower to cross the line, not necessarily 4 hours later

the bikes beat everything else, trucks, rails, atvs, etc

heck, only 56% of the ATVs even finished this year

the track was the same for the outty and shee
Dude your hung up on the Baja..........Do you have any Idea how much money Honda throws at their top bike teams in the baja?
Way more then the quad teams have ever seen.
I know on top end the bike walks away from the quads........I was talking drag race.

Old 01-13-2006, 07:37 AM
Pro Rider
Default Sport-Utility?

sorry Kodiak, but you are hung up on drag racing

who cares if an 800cc v-twin can hang with or slightly edge a 450cc sport quad for the first 100 feet (depending on traction) in acceleration. big deal.

You drag race in the woods?

He's talking about fast, not quick. You aren't hanging with a bike while on an ATV.

Old 01-13-2006, 09:04 AM
Pro Rider
Default Sport-Utility?

Thats where you dont know a thing.....I can smoke bikes thru the woods trails I ride.
I ran a poker run on trails no wider than my grizz and had dirtbikes pulling over to let me past.
Good luck when you race that 800 bomb.
Oh wait....your on a rubi......what the heck do you know about fast anyway?
You must still be bent about the topic where the Rancher blew the rubi away thru the snow.
Good luck with your recliner racing while your nappin in front of your TV this sunday.

Old 01-13-2006, 09:36 AM
Pro Rider
Default Sport-Utility?

oohh, I made big bad grizzly mad and he's growling and picking on me

I can smoke bikes thru the woods trails I ride.
oh the bravado, or wait - you forgot to tell me there was snow on the ground or you were passing the senior class riders

you're right though, I bought the Rubicon because I thought it was the fastest machine in the world and beating everyone in a jerk-off drag race was my #1 priority, but I guess I was very wrong

Hey, you know what, maybe Bombardier should get you to run their machine in the Baja 1000. You could be the first quad to ever win the Baja 1000!!!

All you have to do is figure out is:
1) how to get it to the finish
2) how to shave off more than 4 hours from the pro-riders

You say a quad is faster than a bike, and I don't know a thing?

powerful atv yes, fast atv no (in relative terms)

Fast ATV - an oxymoron for the morons and people that are scared of bikes

I know what speed is and with an attitude like yours I'd never let you ride my KTM500, you'd kill yourself

Old 01-13-2006, 11:50 AM
Trailblazer
Default Sport-Utility?

Rider fatigue is a big factor when your talking about riding for long periods of time. I've owned a 125cc yamaha, blaster, 300ex, 500 Scrambler 4x4, and now an 800. With the exception of the motorcycle all within the last 2 years I'm over 30 years old and in decent shape ride every 2 weeks and the only bike that didn't completely wipe me out by the end of the day was my 800. And it compares to the Scrambler in pick-up and handeling yet no fatigue. I will admit that with an exception of going through extreme mud the scrambler was the best bike over all. It was much faster 80+mph, great dune bike with the ability to launch it 6ft in the air, went through the deep mud puddles, powered into corners like any other sport bike, and if ridin conservitively, fatigue can be reduced to a minimum. I will say Polaris has a wider stance than any other which takes a little getting used and factors into fatigue.

Old 01-13-2006, 04:32 PM
Pro Rider
Default Sport-Utility?

Originally posted by: Kodiak660
Thats where you dont know a thing.....I can smoke bikes thru the woods trails I ride.
I ran a poker run on trails no wider than my grizz and had dirtbikes pulling over to let me past.
Good luck when you race that 800 bomb.
Oh wait....your on a rubi......what the heck do you know about fast anyway?
You must still be bent about the topic where the Rancher blew the rubi away thru the snow.
Good luck with your recliner racing while your nappin in front of your TV this sunday.
I know I'm not talking about the woods why would someone take a dirtbike in the woods, I'm talking about in overall speed/acceleration the Outty with 4wd on may take a slight lead for a few feet if you were on dirt but once the powerband kicks in on just say an RM 250 it would be sooooooo far ahead it'd be embarrasing by the time you got to 150ft. I don't even have to argue that an Outty is even close to a dirt bike in speed and on the track, that's like a Cavalier vs. a Corvette z06 speed wise, the 250 dirt bikes are faster as well as the 450 4 strokes and there's now doubt about it. As for the Outty beating the sport quads..that's probably in the sand and the 800 has 4wd so on asphalt the 450's would win a drag.

Old 01-13-2006, 07:36 PM
Range Rover
Default Sport-Utility?

This I know: a stock 450 Honda will not beat a stock 800 Outlander on the road or dirt. We swithced machines and the same results everytime Outty jumps ahead and pulls away slowly.
Who cares anyway drag racing requires the least amount of skill in ATV racing.

Old 01-13-2006, 07:52 PM
Pro Rider
Default Sport-Utility?

why would someone take a dirtbike in the woods
lol

Old 01-14-2006, 12:54 AM
Pro Rider
Default Sport-Utility?

Wow who cares...this just turned into a testosterone pissing match, and a scrambler 500 80+ mph's. I would have liked to see that. I mean ya my brute might eat some sport machine of the line but at the end of the race that sport quad is going to be in the lead. So who cares, just ride and have fun.

Old 01-14-2006, 03:40 PM
Pro Rider
Default Sport-Utility?

Originally posted by: Mdog
This I know: a stock 450 Honda will not beat a stock 800 Outlander on the road or dirt. We swithced machines and the same results everytime Outty jumps ahead and pulls away slowly.
Who cares anyway drag racing requires the least amount of skill in ATV racing.
That's just so hard to believe that something so heavy could beat a 450..but I guess the sport quads aren't as fast as I thought...This makes up my mind though about which to get between a dirt bike and a sport quad...a 250cc 2stroke dirtbike is what I want so no stock quad can touch me, and in the trails it'll be nice not to have a rear solid axle to get messed up.

Quick Reply: Sport-Utility?