Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

reverse lights? Be nice for backing up at night

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2005, 12:41 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default reverse lights? Be nice for backing up at night

Plowing my drive last night I was wishing I had some lights for backing up, specially when plowing cause I tend to reverse quit fast when I get to going lol

My 05 Grizz has an indicator light for reverse, if I could somehow tap into that indicator light I could borrow a tad bit of juice to trigger a solinoid which would in turn provide ample juice to power some nice reverse lights. Has anyone done this? Does anyone know if this is possible? If the indicator light is LED then it might not supply enough juice to even power a soilenoid.

I guess this'll be my next project

Old 12-25-2005, 01:29 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

sportsmans come with backup lights [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

but im sure theres a way to do it, as far as tapping power, considering your going to try tapping 30watts of power for 2 lights, your going to have to rig up your own set of lines going to your battery. the easyest idea would be just to drill a hole in your dash and mount a switch to turn on the lights, so they could esentially be Work Lights

Old 12-25-2005, 04:20 PM
Pro Rider

Check my pics for backup lights. They work extremely well. Autozone for $26. Designed for mounting on pickup reciever hitch assy.

My atv was prewired for them. No additional switch needed. Put it in reverse, and lights come on.

Old 12-25-2005, 05:12 PM
Pro Rider

anyone have any ideas how it could be wired into a Grizzly to work automatically????? If so please post a wiring diagram if possible. I have need of such a setup while plowing in the middle of the night so I don't run into any mailboxes etc... thanks... Glenn

Old 12-26-2005, 08:04 AM
Pro Rider

you can use the reverse lamp in the dash to trigger a small relay. then you will need to run a heavier wire from the battery, thru a fuse, to the relay, and from the realy to the lights. the trigger circuit of the relay needs to draw very little current so as not to overload the warning light circuit. i can't scan pix or i would draw you a diagram. go to Radio Shack or someplace like that. they should have the relay and be able to show how to connect everything.

monty

Old 12-26-2005, 11:58 AM
Pro Rider

Montyh.....that sounds like it would work. I know now to wire a relay, and already have a fuse block type bar in the front under the cowl, so its no problem to get power to a relay and the lights. I wonder how I would go about finding a relay that would draw the least juice so I don't cause any problems with that reverse light circuit. I bet its a small wire going to that light...its probably an LED in fact.

Old 12-26-2005, 12:18 PM
Pro Rider

They got relays (seloinoids) at any auto parts stores and they are easy to wire up, I'll be experimenting soon [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I need to pull my cowl off anyways to redo some wiring for my heated grips, they arn't working properly for some reason.....perhaps from too many water xings [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 12-26-2005, 06:27 PM
Pro Rider

neversunk: the indicator light circuit should have plenty of power to trigger a relay.

just make sure to get a relay that will CLOSE the contacts when power is applied to the trigger circuit. normally open is what i think they call this.

monty

Old 12-26-2005, 07:10 PM
Trailblazer

"IV" I see that the Vinson was pre-wired....would that imply my 05 King Quad would be as well?....and how can I tell....thanks...I would love to have reverse lights....and while I'm asking....is the "park" light supposed to come on (low intensity light in the tail light/brake light pod, so that following ATVs can see me at night without needing to touch the brakes every once in awhile)....does that make sense?.....like a car the rear amber or red light thats always on when you have your headlights on.....thanks......I ask cause mine DOESN'T seem to have that feature...

Old 12-26-2005, 07:47 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks montyh....I did'nt know there was a difference until you told me! Duh.....I wonder how many things I could have screwed up had it not been for these forums? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: reverse lights? Be nice for backing up at night