Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Belt Smokers

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2006 | 07:28 AM
Range Rover
Default Belt Smokers

........."Buyin an automatic quad is like buyin an auto vette, it just doesn't make any sense"...?????????

Really !.........Well, tell me all about your "auto vette"..........what ?..never owned one ? That's what I thought.
Ever heard of an SMG M-5 BMW..........?........let me help you. It's the fastest 4 dr sedan on the planet..........an "automatic".
Ever see a clutch petal in an Indy or formula car ?..........that's right !.......nope.........SMG's is what you'll see...."automatics"......very sophisticated "automatics".........
So, before you lean to hard on "it just doesn't make any sense" automatics, be very careful............the car you can't shift fast enough to keep up with, while "managing" your "rpm", probably has one............

(yes, I have an "auto vette"........and BMW, as well as an "auto quad")

Old 03-17-2006 | 09:40 AM
Pro Rider
Default Belt Smokers

Ever see a clutch petal in an Indy or formula car ?..........that's right !.......nope.........SMG's is what you'll see...."automatics"......very sophisticated "automatics".........
too many people present things out of context. they are not automatics. they are manuals with electronic clutches

doesn't the SMG mean (s)equential (m (M series)) (g)earbox? no torque converter to sap power so they are more efficient than an auto, but the electronics in the race cars can shift faster than any human. I like that about my Hondamatic too.

manuals are for drivers, autos are for people that happen to drive

right now I have both (sort of, in a way). When CVTs are able to use the entire range of engine power characteristics (or allow the driver to select) I might get one. who wants their engine revving at peak power all the time? Not me. I think most of these big bore guys would be scared of a 800 twin with a 5 speed. Takes too much technique, experience, and thought to use properly

I think Guinness and MotoF150 are overstating the problems with the automatic, but who would buy a Vette with an auto? (I've driven a couple, I wouldn't buy one) You can't even get most true sports cars with an automatic.

Old 03-17-2006 | 06:02 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Belt Smokers

I would personally spend 80 bucks on a new belt anyday, but give me the other tranny, and its not an 80 dollar belt anymore, its an 800 dollar fix it. NO THANX

Old 03-17-2006 | 07:59 PM
Range Rover
Default Belt Smokers

SMG.....Sequential Manual Gearbox..........actually it is neither a true "auto" or "manual"........it has a very complex computer controlled hydralic clutch system. It can be "driver shifted"........or, left in the optional mode, shift on it's own (hence, automatically)...........ie, without any driver input.
Simply moving a shift lever at will does not a race driver make.........

Old 03-18-2006 | 05:44 AM
|
Pro Rider
Default Belt Smokers

The ATV's I see with the smoking and slipping belt problems are the newer ones, to be fair im not going to say the brand, but a certain brand out there are notorious belt smokers, thats the reason why I bought the 5 speed gear drive, I didn't say all belt drive ATV's have a problem with slipping belts.

Old 03-18-2006 | 08:47 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Belt Smokers

I havnt heard of any brand being "notorious for smoking belts". I think mabey you had a bad experience or something with a belt driven atv, and are bitter about it

Old 03-18-2006 | 02:31 PM
Pro Rider
Default Belt Smokers

SMG.....Sequential Manual Gearbox..........actually it is neither a true "auto" or "manual"........it has a very complex computer controlled hydralic clutch system. It can be "driver shifted"........or, left in the optional mode, shift on it's own (hence, automatically)...........ie, without any driver input.
S (M)anual G? Then its a manual? or is it an automatic, and if so why would they call it a manual? If it shifts by itself its an auto right? But without a torque converter? But it has a clutch? and a shifter?

"SMG stands for Sequential M Gearbox. The ‘M’ is for Motorsport, the BMW subsidiary which, in close cooperation with Getrag and Fichtel and Sachs, designed and developed the system." "There’s also a self-select, or E, mode when the manual gearbox changes gear automatically. There are only two pedals, brake and throttle. Operation of the twin-plate dry clutch is automatic. "

thanks for clearing that up

and V2 man, wait until you need to rebuild your clutches. sometimes it ain't cheap

Old 03-18-2006 | 06:04 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Belt Smokers

Yeah, but i CAN rebuild a clutch, and replace a belt., and no its not nearly as expensive as it is to rebuild a tranny. Can u rebuild a tranny? I cant, and opt not to pay someone else to do it for an extra 200 dollars. But you can if you want to.

Old 03-18-2006 | 09:32 PM
Range Rover
Default Belt Smokers

.........Ok.......I think we've done a fair job covering BMW's SMG transmission. (in reference to the "M" in SMG, it stands for "Manual"..not "Motorsports"...........that's reserved for the "M" in M3, M5 and M6 etc.)

Did I see "Manuals are for drivers......auto's are for people who happen to drive"?...........whoa.........tell that to the guy that's sitting next to you at the stoplight in his M5 with his SMG set to "auto"........just before he "happens to drive.........away so fast it'll peel the paint off your "driver".............

Old 03-18-2006 | 10:06 PM
Pro Rider
Default Belt Smokers

I will never have a manual shift, auto clutch, I do not like them Sam I am, I do not like them in the tress, I do not like them in mud up to my knees. I take a manual shift-manual clutch in a sport quad or full auto in a ute anyday instead. Some view the manual shift auto clutch as the best of both worlds, I think it has the drawbacks of both worlds.

To each their own I guess.

BTW, I ride stuff as gnarly as it gets and all the belt quads do more than fine.

Quick Reply: Belt Smokers