Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Belt Smokers

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2006 | 03:20 PM
Pro Rider
Default Belt Smokers

ive probably torn apart more engines and transmissions than almost anyone on this thread,
that's assuming a lot.

as for "the Honda wouldn't even get the sled started, just sat on the line and the engine reved"...notice they didn't use the Rubicon or a Foreman in that video. The Rancher AT does not have low and it's not made for towing a sled. I'm sure the people that buy them don't care and just enjoy how much better it shifts while trail riding.

Old 03-26-2006 | 03:38 PM
Pro Rider
Default Belt Smokers

Ok like I said I wasn't sure which Honda it was or if it had low range

seems to me though that a 4x4 oughta have low range /shrug

Old 03-26-2006 | 05:51 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Belt Smokers

dirty dude, show me ONE ute atv that has a clutch. they are all auto clutches, so you're bird hunting/bino looking scenario wont work, because all i have to do is "put my foot on the brake and slow to a stop" just as easily as you.
weez440- 50 times better in the mud?? who the hell have you been riding with?? sure, ill admit there have been a FEW belt drives that can do well in the mud, but they require some modification-ie clutch kits, helix's, etc, etc. whereas my quad stock will truck though it fine without slipping. when our trails get flooded here in south fla, we tow a small canoe behind it with the vinson with 1-2 people in it around the flag ponds. my buddy's old griz, and his new prarioe 650 vtwin cound't do it. and he had about 500 less miles and the motor and upgraded springs. so i dont know what kind of magical mud youre riding in, but anytime youre in southwest florida during the wet season, bring your belt drive and we'll go have some fun. but as ive said before, untill i have to stop pulling out belts, and they pull me out, im stickin with my 5-speed semi auto.

Old 03-26-2006 | 06:13 PM
Pro Rider
Default Belt Smokers

ya, then you gotta sit there and stomp down on the shifter over and over while rocking it back and forth until you finally get down to first gear...next thing you know you got a sticky shifter that won't work properly and you gotta beg daddy to get it fixed for ya

no thanks

Old 03-26-2006 | 06:52 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Belt Smokers

Sorry, but Weez is right, i have blown a few people away with my V2 against their manual in mud. Be it because they are inexperienced, or they hit the mud in to high of a gear, it happened. I would take mine over yours anyday

Old 03-26-2006 | 08:02 PM
Pro Rider
Default Belt Smokers

good thing about shifters in the mud is they can churn and churn at low RPM with huge tires and jacked up snorkled quads.

I usually see shifter cats in mid competitions

Old 03-26-2006 | 11:25 PM
Range Rover
Default Belt Smokers

Originally posted by: Guinness
I guess i left out the part where it was in Imokolee drag strip????
and you obviously have never raced someone who knows how to use the full potential of a manual. sure, lots of people can drive a stick, but not everybody can powershift through the gears at WOT without missing a beat.
god, you're worse than ricers... j/k lol
but back to the original topic, i must agree with some of the arguements on belts behalf. i owned a prarie 400 4x4, and it faired very well through our trails. but alas, numerous times the muck got too deep, and our old 03 rancher 4x4 had to pull me out. because the belt i replaced almost every two months, kept slipping. that just left a bad taste in my mouth. that topped on to me having used to race four wheelers, and loving shofting through the gears, i just dont like belts. granted some of the new ones are much better than my old kawasucky, but untill the day they have to pull my vinson out, im stickin to manuals
...........IMOKOLEE DRAG STRIP........whoa !.......Yeah, ya left out the most important part !
When you get done patting yourself on the back for have enough coordination to drop a brick on a gas pedal, stear straight for 1300'......and count to four with a stick..........try joining some of the big boys at PIR.......or Sears Point (I know.......Infineon)...but if you have the guts and skill to drive it, you can still call it Sears Point..........then you may have something to talk about. Until then, you'd better stick to Denny's...........

Old 03-27-2006 | 12:05 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Belt Smokers

correction- daddy doesnt pay for s*t for me. i bust my *** 30+hours a week as a sales manager at a local auto parts store, and go to school full time, and i still pay for everything myself.

ha, like the little bit about denny's. brought a smile to my face. as far as sears point, i may not be a top dragster(although i do race my h22 autocross), but the arguement is still a 350HP 5 speed beat a 400HP auto. you could put the best drag driver in the auto, i still would have won why? an auto requires NO skill. gas and break. now, if you put a sears point veteran in the c-5 5 speed, and me in a fatser c-6 with a manual , he wouldve beat me, just cause he has the experience. how do you think my buddy billy's SVT cobra w/ a whipple@13lbs crankin out 450 WHEEL horses beat a new z06 and a new Ford GT? horsepower was the same, but billy's got a heavier car? why? Billy knows how to properly drive. same driver skills in same car, the cobra wouldve lost by about 2-3 cars in both cases.

dont keep bringing car racing into this thread, i may only be some dumbass 20 year old, but ive worked on and driven more and faster cars, than you have.

back to belts. im proud to say in your defense, some of the new full size belt drives faired just as well as my midsize manual. yes, they were without a doubt faster, but still only kept even with me in deep and thick mud. but, like ive said many times, untill a belt drive has to pull me out, ill be on my vinson sprayin mud in your face while youre sittin and slippin.

oh, and ride safe. a local EMT passed away at an MX track when she was riding without a helmet down a steep hill to go to a fallen racer when she grabbed a handful of brake on her polaris sportsman and flipped forward.

Old 03-27-2006 | 04:51 AM
Range Rover
Default Belt Smokers

.......Guinness.......Hey.....just pick'in at you a bit.......I'm sure you're not a "dumb-assed 20 yr old"........but I can pretty much guarantee you haven't done it all just yet.........and you'll get smarter.
I was refering to the road course at Sears Point.......maybe you'll get a chance to drive it someday.......you'd injoy it.
And stop letting some "old guy in an auto vette" wind you up so easy...........
Been fun.............all done !

Old 03-27-2006 | 06:10 AM
Range Rover
Default Belt Smokers

My intake for the tranny and air box are at the same height in front of my handle bars. I would imagine if a fella was gonna do serious muddin he would snorkel both. I don't see how you could fry your belt from slippage due to water while having it snorkeled. Now if your dumb enough to snorkel the air box and not the tranny, I don't know what to tell ya. I have had water over the top of my quad plenty of times even skirting around the neck of the handle bars for short period of times and while still moving forward. Never had any issues. Saying that a CVT cannot handle going through mud like a manual is a ridiculous claim. If the water is deep enough all quads obviously should have snorkels and the quad with the CVT, one for that too. The important limiting factor is tires, ground clearance, etc. Now if ya want big ole wheels and tires, buy a stinkin 18 dollar spring or two and your golden. Easy to install. Still have my stock belt, and I am 220 lbs. and pound the crap outta mine, in the mud, muck, wheelies, jumps, etc.

Quick Reply: Belt Smokers