Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Belt Smokers

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 06:31 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Belt Smokers

Im new to this forum, reading all the posts, but I never found any posts about anybody having problems with their belt drive. I have seen many belt drive ATV's with smoking and slipping belts, I can smell the rubber burning, thats why I bought a gear drive Suzuki Eiger 5 speed. I can't believe nobody in this forum never had any problem with their belt drive, I refuse to own any ATV with a belt drive.

Old 03-13-2006, 12:46 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!
Default Belt Smokers

Originally posted by: MotoF150
Im new to this forum, reading all the posts, but I never found any posts about anybody having problems with their belt drive. I have seen many belt drive ATV's with smoking and slipping belts, I can smell the rubber burning, thats why I bought a gear drive Suzuki Eiger 5 speed. I can't believe nobody in this forum never had any problem with their belt drive, I refuse to own any ATV with a belt drive.
What ATV did you own that you had the belt problem?

Old 03-13-2006, 03:21 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Belt Smokers

I think enough complaints came in in the 90's. Most ATV's ar up to par as far as that goes

Old 03-13-2006, 04:20 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Belt Smokers

The suzukis,a/c , and yamaha, all use a different style of cvt than the polaris and kawi. On them, the belt is always tight, and never goes slack, which goes along way towards not slipping and smoking.
No need to be concerned about a newer cvt belt tranny. All of them seal up real tight, and you really have to swamp it to get the belt wet.

Old 03-13-2006, 10:42 PM
Range Rover
Default Belt Smokers

my 05 tbx is my first foray in to a belt , its totally fine[takes a while to seat, 20-30 miles]. this is used as manufacturer intended and not drowned or otherwise abused...they aint submarines

Old 03-13-2006, 10:49 PM
Pro Rider
Default Belt Smokers

i fried 2 belts in 1700 miles i got a kawi belt drive system going back to the arctic cat with the duramatic tranny and clutching next atv hopefully in a couple months after i buy my brand new dirtbike [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-14-2006, 10:11 PM
Trailblazer
Default Belt Smokers

Originally posted by: MotoF150
I'm glad you found something you like. I've been riding belt drives for years and thousands of miles and haven't killed a belt yet.

Happy trolling.

DT

Old 03-16-2006, 03:15 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Belt Smokers

You dont hear many complaints for two reasons.
1. not many people here live where I do, and go though the terrain I do.
2. they're too embarassed by the fact that they own a belt drive to reveal they're problems.
just kiddin
In all seriousness, Ive owned a few belt drives, and the newer ones are almost even with the 5 speeds, but im still a firm beleiver in 5 speeds. ive taken my vinson through muck, mud and water that any stock belt drive couldnt even dream of doin. plus i think shifting and being in control of you rpm rang is more fun. id still never own another belt drive, but im definetley not saying they suck by any means. it simply a matter of personal preference, and type of riding.

Old 03-17-2006, 12:16 AM
Pro Rider
Default Belt Smokers

I'm a belt man and not going back. With the proper maintance etc belts today are very reliable. I get 7000km to a belt which is very good. I also have logged over 50,000km on belt driven atvs since 1998. There is no arguement here that with a belt drive you want to watch getting water in your cluches but believe me that this is not the issue that people should be complaining about because this can be solved with a belt drive. ALL ATVS REQUIRE AIR ! not just belt drives. I personnelly only had mine belt slip once and it was somewheres where I shouldn't have been. The advantage to a belt drive is in deep snow because you are always in the right gear period. Also take a look at the reverse too, with reverse overide I can use extra power that I have to get me out, instead of haveing to deal with that slow rev limiter. I personnelly find the auto are smoother in getting the power to the ground. As far as power sliding etc I feel the auto tranny has more umph. I also feel that it's personal pref and it's what you want that counts.

Old 03-17-2006, 03:38 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Belt Smokers

the only rev limiter i have in my reverse is the normal one for the engine at about 8 grand?? which is the same for the auto vinson....

Quick Reply: Belt Smokers