Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Griz 660 or Outty 800

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2006, 04:47 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Griz 660 or Outty 800

and handling

Old 05-28-2006, 06:04 PM
Trailblazer

I'm waiting for someone to say the visco lock loves rock crawling so i can complete this thread.

The visco lock causes loss of momentum which can lead to getting stuck... it is just like a honda until after a few tire revolutions it locks up. The grizz would already be locked in because anybody can see difficult terrain up ahead for the most part.

Old 05-28-2006, 06:05 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: v2rider
Actually, I am another person who dislikes visco, only because i can lock mine in all 4 and not have it pop out of 4x4 because the quad feels its time. And the beating the grizz through the snow? I dont know how that is. Power means nothing in snow. Its all ground clearance, and tires.
Yeah I'm not a big fan of the Outty's 4wd setup either it's kind of like Polaris' setup [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]...plus the single brake lever doesn't provide proper braking control for a machine of that size. Sure a Griz with proper tires could do good in the snow...I usually run out of traction on my KQ before power so I wouldn't consider going through the snow a big advantage of the Outty 800. That also goes for snow plowing, I always run out of traction before power on my KQ.
But to me, either way you slice it you'll always find a place for more power...cuz there's no such thing as too much power in big utes cuz their never fast enough for me!!! But I'm sure I'd be happy with an 800cc V-twin...until someone else comes out with a 900cc!!!

Old 05-29-2006, 09:23 AM
Range Rover

Well, I don't really need the fastest quad on the block, just alot of power to carry
my tired old body up over rocks and mountain sides hunting etc. I really don't
see alot of other atvers here in rural Maine. I have an old Honda 300 I have
been riding for 15 years, and have told the wife I want a new machine this year.
She is all for it as she has seen the use I have gotten out of it as well as the
work it has done snowplowing etc. I rode the Outty 800 max xt in Greenville
maine for a lil bit, and thought it was good. I have not ridden a Griz or even
seen one being ridden by anyone. I know they are out there and both the
griz and outty are good machines. If Yamaha comes out with a 2up and efi
I will be tempted hard. Well I guess we will see come the middle of June.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 05-29-2006, 01:48 PM
Pro Rider

if you are used to a 300 honda, than any machine is going to be a big power jump, no offense or anything
my fathers grizz is a huge power jump from my kodi 450
i think a grizz is fine for you, not everyone needs or can handle the fastest quad out there
if you want a 2 up atv, look at the arctic cats, they are also good quads, not blazing fast like everyone seems to want nowadays though
good luck, 450kodman

Old 05-29-2006, 02:03 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah since your coming from an old 300 the Grizzly would probably be enough power for you.. But just curious as to why you haven't mentioned the King Quad 700..It's about the same price as the Grizz with more power and EFI, really a more refined machine from my experiences with both.
While I'm sure the Arctic Cat brand is good, if I'm not mistaking they only make a 500cc 2 up ATV, which IS NOT enough power IMO for the weight of two regular sized adults. It's definitly a strain on the engine b/c on my old 400cc I'd ride two up occasional and it was definitely hard on the engine. Just my observation over the years of riding with two people. You really need at least 650cc for a 2 up to be a worthwhile purchase.

Old 05-29-2006, 02:06 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

He is correct, AC only has a 500cc 2up machine, unless you want the prowler, that is a 650.

Old 05-29-2006, 03:27 PM
Trailblazer

Well I can't say I'm blinded by power as my Outlander 400 Max will go anywhere my friends Grizz will go, and thats with two people on the Outlander. From experience, Visco loc is much better than any locker 99% of the time, as there is no need to stop to lock it up -- because by that time you are stuck anyway. You have no idea how well this system works, especially in snow and mud because if you are spinning, you are locked up. This happens almost instantly and no stopping, shifting, no speed limiter(Grizz) and no heavy steering.

As for ground clearance there is very little or no differance between the two, even my '06 400 has 11.25 in the back and 10.5 in the front. But the nice thing with the Outlander is that the frame is very narrow so there is less for it to get hung up on. I have driven both of these machines in all types of terrain and the Outlander is the better machine, you can't even the 650 or 800 to the Grizz as they are in another league.

Sorry for the rant, but I find it very annoying when people just blurt out some opinion without knowing the facts or have personal experince on the subject.

Old 05-29-2006, 03:43 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: balgonieman
Well I can't say I'm blinded by power as my Outlander 400 Max will go anywhere my friends Grizz will go, and thats with two people on the Outlander. From experience, Visco loc is much better than any locker 99% of the time, as there is no need to stop to lock it up -- because by that time you are stuck anyway. You have no idea how well this system works, especially in snow and mud because if you are spinning, you are locked up. This happens almost instantly and no stopping, shifting, no speed limiter(Grizz) and no heavy steering.

As for ground clearance there is very little or no differance between the two, even my '06 400 has 11.25 in the back and 10.5 in the front. But the nice thing with the Outlander is that the frame is very narrow so there is less for it to get hung up on. I have driven both of these machines in all types of terrain and the Outlander is the better machine, you can't even the 650 or 800 to the Grizz as they are in another league.

Sorry for the rant, but I find it very annoying when people just blurt out some opinion without knowing the facts or have personal experince on the subject.
So can you honestly say that your Outty 400 Max has enough power for two full sized adults without it feeling like a major strain on the engine? I just can't imagine 400cc being enough for a two up machine...

Old 05-29-2006, 03:55 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Its not enough, and personally, i hate visco type lockers, like Bom, and polaris have(awd). Its not correct to say "99% of the time, visco is better" because its not. And im sure alot of different riders will chime in soon and this will become a heated debate! But i would rather choose when its time to lock it in, instead of the quad making that decision for me.

Quick Reply: Griz 660 or Outty 800