Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

second switch for winch

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 09:40 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default second switch for winch

Hi, I am new to the forum.

I have a 2004 Yamaka Kodiak 450 4X4. I just ordered a Mile Marker 2500 winch (first winch and all I can afford right now). It has a connection for a remote switch with an 8' foot extension cord. I would like to put a Momentary On/OFF/Momentary On rocker switch on the fender area just below the shifter.

My problem is that I am inexperienced in winches and things electrical. (I know just enough to be dangerous).

First question:

Am I buying a Single Pole/Single Throw (SPST) rocker switch or, a Single Pole/Double Throw (SPDT) rocker switch or, a Double Pole/Double Throw rocker switch? And Why?

Second question:

Based on the answer to question #1, where exactly does each wire go? I believe the SPST switch has three connections and the DPDT has six connections. Don't know what the SPDT has.

The simpler the explanation the better (Tab A into Slot B kind of simple).

Also, Is there anyplace I can put the solenoid safely (and easily) except in the storage box under the seat. I really don't want to give up the storage space.

Your kindness will be appreciated.

agdexter

Old 05-31-2006, 12:58 AM
Pro Rider

Hi agdexter..

Welcome to the forums..

I would love to help you on this but I have no idea about Mile Marker winches. I looked at one here awhile back but decided to go with the Warn 3000CE synthetic.

I have a Warn 2000lb winch that i am going to get a selector switch for to allow the handle bar rocker to controll either the front or rear winch, eliminating the need for 2 rockers. I know with the warn switch there is only 3 wires coming out from the rocker, a hot and green and a black. In theory when you push the 'in' switch the power goes from the hot thru the switch to the green and out to the contactor and the 'out' from the hot to the black to the contactor. Therefore firing off the winch in forward or reverse.

THe selector switch would route the power to the contactor for the front or rear winch. Now pondering on what I was rambleing on.. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] In theory you could crack open the switch and use a volt meter or test light to see what wires were hot when the switch was activated.

If you wanted a hardwired switch you could order or Ebay a second switch for your marker, cut the wires on it and try to use a toggle to wire it up. I would think and this is just my thought. Id think that the MM winch is like the warn with only like 3 wires to controll the switch. I even wonder if you could get a warn rocker and rig it up to work with the mike marker.

If you went with the toggle if it was me I would get a heavy duty rocker. A momentary on-off-on type switch I think would work. Check with the local auto part house, they may be able to help you. Call MIle marker and get a wiring diagram, that would help you also..

If you get a warn switch I would almost think you would be better off taking the mile marker back and just get a warn 2.5. I think the rocker is around 60 bucks. But all the aggrivation of trying to figure it out may be worth the extra money you spend on the warn.

The reason I didnt get the MM because I didnt like the remote switch. Everytime you use it you have to plug in the switch. My 3.0 has a handlebar switch and a 10 ft remote switch.. Its nice.. To the tune of $513 with the mount. The reason I got it is its the last winch I will ever need. Lifetime warranty. And if i dump my wheeler its going with me as well as the 2000lb one. Plus its my little quirk, if its something that will save your butt I want to know its a name I can depend on. My friend has a Champion winch that he got from Costco. He had it for 1 year and his switch quit working. I am not saying the Warn is the best but I am hopefully going to be happy with it, get it tomorrow. MOstly the reason i went with it is because of the warranty..

Breese lawn garden on ebay sells the 2.5 pretty cheap. Gorilla winches are suppose to be a knockoff of Warn also. Search the forums for Gorilla winch and it looks like people have em and are happy with them.

I know the mile marker I was looking at was 200. The warn 2500 was around 340. IF you decide to return the MM and go with warn check on ebay, you may be able to find a used worn cheap.

If you cant find someone here that can help you there are other atv boards that may be able to help. I know there are a few guys that are on a few different forums. I am sure someone will chime in here. There are alot of people here that have a awsome amount of knowledge on the machines and accessories. There is a grear group of people and i am sure someone can help you.

Hope I gave you some insight here. Good luck man...

Old 05-31-2006, 01:09 AM
Pro Rider

I also would love to know how to do this, I also have a PE2500.

agdexter- the mile marker is a great winch, I ahve never had a problem and have used it plenty pulling people out of there stuck.

Old 05-31-2006, 12:46 PM
Trailblazer

Welcome agdexter. I'll give you my .02 on what I did with my champion. Mine was straight lined from winch to remote to battery. Constant power to winch when atv is off. Did not splice into ignition. To keep someone from "playing" and draining battery, I cut off the pos. battery connector and spliced in a heavy duty toggle switch (on/off) then fed it to the battery. The toggle switch is in the power (red) wire...2 connectors. Very easy. Just made a new wire to connect switch to battery. Mount where you want. I stuck mine in the battery compartment under seat. Doesn't take up any room. Maybe not what your looking for but it is a quick, easy, room saving solution. Works for me but then again I don't use the winch often...twice as a matter of fact