Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

diesel engine powered atv's exist?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 11:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default diesel engine powered atv's exist?

Originally posted by: xFreebirdx
INTERESTING
Very...

Old 08-13-2006, 09:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hi Doctor turbo. UATV with diesel engine thread...

I share your misgivings of arctic-cat.

Many claims as to how well they go through mud and such, lot's or ground clearence.

Speaking from expierence i've had to pull out more cat's out of the mud than just about any other atv.

Polaris being heavy was the second most mud stuck atv's.

The traxter (manual types). As it's the automatics that seem to get most (90+%) the claimed problems.

The traxter is an excelent trail machine, but it's not fast. However the way it was design it can litteraly bulldoze it's way through a mud hole that traps other atv's right off the bat.

The problem with arctic cat is the height. While in a shallow mud hole the cat has superior height and will go like a bat out of hell and will out mud other atv's in general. However in deep holes those "long legs" act like ancors, and if you noticed cat's do tend to get stuck front tilted forward first.

Add a possibly heavier engine such as the 18hp diesel engine and we might be seeing the same problems polaris had a few years ago.

Now if rouch went with the can-am traxter frame and centralized engine we would have something impressive.

Diesel engines in general have less problems than gassoline engines (unless you get a lemon). Throttle on small diesel engines is also a pain in the backside.

You would get perhaps twice the millage per the same amout of fuel as a gassoline powered engine.

The military version of the roush has a 5 gallon tank in the back. This makes it more like a can-am traxter as far as center of gravity is concerned. However that's dependant on the amount of fuel in the tank.

5 gallons (imperial) of fuel is "A-LOT!" of fuel.

Any how we shall see what comes of it.

Old 08-13-2006, 09:58 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

The problem with arctic cat is the height. While in a shallow mud hole the cat has superior height and will go like a bat out of hell and will out mud other atv's in general. However in deep holes those "long legs" act like ancors, and if you noticed cat's do tend to get stuck front tilted forward first.

Speaking from expierence i've had to pull out more cat's out of the mud than just about any other atv.

Polaris being heavy was the second most mud stuck atv's.>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>

I have witnesses on this forum to say a Polaris 700, and grizz 660 got stuck in a mud hole that the AC went through, TWICE. And another time to pull out the Polaris. That statement seems like BS to me

Old 08-15-2006, 09:02 PM
Range Rover

lI dont see where a diesel 4x would find a niech. The engine has to be much heavier to contain the high cylinder preasures. and that i would think would offset the added torque, I would thing that low range on a big bore quad would do anthing that would need to be done by anything it's size.

Old 08-17-2006, 02:37 AM
Pro Rider

have witnesses on this forum to say a Polaris 700, and grizz 660 got stuck in a mud hole that the AC went through, TWICE. And another time to pull out the Polaris. That statement seems like BS to me
>>>>>>>>>>

Man, I've pulled a Yamaha, Suzuki, Honda, Bomb, Kawi and TWO AC's out of mud holes with my dirtbike, some bailing twine and rubber bands. Thats one bad A$$ **** dirbike, let me tell you. The guy on the AC 650 offered me a trade straight up.

Old 08-17-2006, 11:36 AM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!

Originally posted by: raidermike67
have witnesses on this forum to say a Polaris 700, and grizz 660 got stuck in a mud hole that the AC went through, TWICE. And another time to pull out the Polaris. That statement seems like BS to me
>>>>>>>>>>

Man, I've pulled a Yamaha, Suzuki, Honda, Bomb, Kawi and TWO AC's out of mud holes with my dirtbike, some bailing twine and rubber bands. Thats one bad A$$ **** dirbike, let me tell you. The guy on the AC 650 offered me a trade straight up.
You are trying to make a funny right? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 08-17-2006, 11:43 AM
Pro Rider

You are trying to make a funny right?
>>>>>>>>>

No way man, my Honda Trail 90 is an awsome machine. I wouldn't trade it for anything.