Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Gorilla Winch Upside Down - In and Out

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 11:15 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gorilla Winch Upside Down - In and Out

Thanks 2manytoys. You gave me the info I needed.

I spoke to Guy at Gorilla Winches yesterday. He says I can reverse the direction by switching the battery wires or doing what 2manytoys has done.

Of course when I went to do it the winch would not disengage. The disengaging **** can be turned around and around but will not disengage. Guy is sending me a new unit and a return label.

The winch looks good and seems to work except for the problem mentioned.

I think the installation was more difficult than it should have been because the instrictions are not that clear to me. I received a sloppy copy with some of the extreme left of the page missing. They faxed me a copy with the same text missing which included the numbers for the amounts of each piece of hardware. I left a phone message about this but never received another fax. Nice to know the bolt left after the install was an extra.

That all being said there was no holding on the phone and they seem to be very pleasant people. I'd order from them again.

Old 12-13-2006, 11:18 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: svbackstreets
Thanks 2manytoys. You gave me the info I needed.

I spoke to Guy at Gorilla Winches yesterday. He says I can reverse the direction by switching the battery wires or doing what 2manytoys has done.

Of course when I went to do it the winch would not disengage. The disengaging **** can be turned around and around but will not disengage. Guy is sending me a new unit and a return label.

The winch looks good and seems to work except for the problem mentioned.

I think the installation was more difficult than it should have been because the instrictions are not that clear to me. I received a sloppy copy with some of the extreme left of the page missing. They faxed me a copy with the same text missing which included the numbers for the amounts of each piece of hardware. I left a phone message about this but never received another fax. Nice to know the bolt left after the install was an extra.

That all being said there was no holding on the phone and they seem to be very pleasant people. I'd order from them again.
Now that's always nice to hear when a company will work with you.....

Old 12-14-2006, 02:22 PM
Range Rover

-
I don't know how your winch is set up, but generally you want a winch cable to reel in over the top so you can watch it to make sure it's spooling straight. If it goes in on the bottom, you may not be able to see it.

GJRonK

Old 12-14-2006, 06:22 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: GJRonK
-
I don't know how your winch is set up, but generally you want a winch cable to reel in over the top so you can watch it to make sure it's spooling straight. If it goes in on the bottom, you may not be able to see it.

GJRonK
Me too. I think they spooled it backward and the plant.

Old 12-14-2006, 11:15 PM
Trailblazer

how much was this gorilla winch??? i went threw 2 masterlock ones from walmart till i decided the only way was a warn... 2 years old and i use it like i use the throttle alll the time..... so if ur goriall breaks i recommend buying a warn i know there expense but it is worth it trust me...

Old 12-20-2006, 02:01 AM
Trailblazer

I paid $157.98.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/3000-...mZ200060187956

Big Buck has a Warn 3.0 for my Sportsman $670.94.

http://www.b###igbuckatvproducts.com...nch%20kits.htm (erase ### to get to site. forbidden word)

Today the replacement was delivered along with a DHL return label. They never even charged my card again. This one works fine.

Do new Warns never have a problem? Why is a Warn worth $512.96 more?

After reading the experiences of others with Gorilla winches I just don't get it. A lot of that $512.96 is for the name not performance in my opinion.

Old 12-20-2006, 08:23 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you do pay some for the name but mostly for the product that seems to have have less problems then all the others i've seen and read about. i pd the big dollar for my warn 3.0 because i wanted a garranty that im out stuck up to my a.. and can get out w/out worring that the winch will bind up or wont work at all.(which happened to my friends3.0 grollia that he had. good thing he was not alone and i was there to pull him thru. after taking it apart and cleaning it and fixing the problems them the contacter stopped working. so once is enough for us not to want another problem winch.