Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

how often do you change your spark plug??

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007 | 07:40 PM
Pro Rider
Default how often do you change your spark plug??

Change then??????

I guess if were acting up but probably clean it first.

Old 03-06-2007 | 08:37 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Shootecogo
I have a '95 Honda 300 in the family that is still on the original plug with at least 10,000 miles on it. Don't fix whats not broken.
Agreed. I'm still on my original plug and won't change it unless it gives me a reason to.

Old 03-07-2007 | 07:14 PM
Pro Rider

Lots of bad info on this item. Do not wait until you have a problem. If you do then there is good chance that plug will need changing just when motor is covered with mud and you will probably get dirt and mud in motor. So replace plug about once a year before needed and replace at home after a thorough cleaning. Plugs are cheap. Rebuilding top end because of mud and debris in motor is not.

Old 03-07-2007 | 07:57 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: oldturtle
Lots of bad info on this item. Do not wait until you have a problem. If you do then there is good chance that plug will need changing just when motor is covered with mud and you will probably get dirt and mud in motor. So replace plug about once a year before needed and replace at home after a thorough cleaning. Plugs are cheap. Rebuilding top end because of mud and debris in motor is not.
So I should replace a perfectly functioning part simply because it MIGHT fail when there MIGHT be dirt present? It's an atv, I expect there is going to be dirt somewhere on the machine at all times. I can think of a lot of reasons to change a plug, but paranoia isn't one of them. I'm a mechanic by trade, and I sincerely wish more people thought like you. I could make a killing changing out perfectly good parts. No problems to diagnose, just a little paranoia on part of the owner. Whatever helps him/her sleep at night works for me. I could retire early, real early.....