Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Help deciding on right 2-up machine for me???????

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 10:38 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help deciding on right 2-up machine for me???????

How much did you pay for the outy800 max XT in american dollars? It list on the website for $10,400 which is outrageous, so I am wondering how much off can I get one? I am trying to decide on a 2-up quad as our 2nd quad and it is between the can-am 800 max XT, can-am 650 max XT, BRP 500 max XT, polaris 800 X2 deluex, polaris 500 X2 deluex and Arctic Cat 650 H1 TRV LE 2-seater. What do y'all think about each of these vs. their cost.

BRR 800efi Max XT = $10,400 MSRP
BRP 650efi Max XT = $9,599 MSRP
BPR 500efi Max XT = $8,999 MSRP

Polaris 800efi X2 Deluex = $9,999 MSRP
Polaris 500efi X2 Deluex = $8,599 MSRP

Arctic Cat 650 H1 TRV LE 2-seater = $8,799

I would rank each in the following categories, what do you think.

POWER: (from 1st to last) = BRP800, polaris 800, BRP650, AC650, BRP500 & polaris 500
RIDE: (from 1st to last) = polaris800, polaris 500, bpr800, 650 & 500 and then AC650
HANDLING: (from 1st to last) = BRP 800, 650, 500 then polaris 800 & 500 then AC650

Honest opinions please and thanks. Once I decide on a 2-up machine, the bf750 will be lifted and made into a monster mudder. But, I want another machine that will be basically a trail machine for the wife and me and kids, etc. The only thing I would do to the 2-up machine that I get is add 26 or 27" ITP 589's or mudlite XTR tires. That's all.

Old 04-03-2007, 12:35 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have any direct experience with two person machines, so I will refrain from giving a opinion without any direct experience. However, if you get the OLN channel (Dishnetwork) they have a show (it was just on tonight) where they compared the Sportsman 800 X2 to the Outlander 800 max XT. In the end, I think to sum it up, the BRP will out perform and out handle the Sportsman. It will cost more. And it will not endure as much of a beating. The Sportsman will give a very comfortable ride with ample power. Both machines will provide a great riding experience.

Watch the show if you can. It was a great review. Pretty honest I thought.

Old 04-03-2007, 01:09 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the reply. I realize the BPR800 max will have slightly more power, however, I like the idea of the polaris 800 X2 deluex with the dump bed. It seems more all around usefull and the seat never leaves the quad. Anyway, I will wait on several more replys, but I will try to check out this OLN review. Thanks

Old 04-03-2007, 02:24 PM
Range Rover

If you want to save some money - and who doesn't - opt to forgo BRP's XT model, particularly since you are intending ot replace the OEM tires anyway. The extra money only buys you the bumper guards, winch, hand guards, and tires anyway. Buy a cheap winch and suddenly the cost is much easier to take and I believe is even slightly better than the Polaris of equal size.

Also, shop the net for dealers. I saved about $!,500 on my 800 Max. As part of the deal I also got the world's best dealer. For example, he delivered my machine after he checked over and did a little warranty work. As in delivered it to my house at no cost to me, a trip of 3 hours, 135 mies over a 8,900' pass (read steep). So don't forget to factor in your dealer. They can make the ownership experience pleasant - or ugly.

And one more thing... do you REALLY need the power of an 800 (bragging rights excepted)? Since you intend to make a mudder and fun machine with your existing bike, presumably this new one will be more for fun rides with the family. If so, the 650 or even the 500 will do just fine. If you ride a high altitudes (>7-8,000') then perhaps the 650 over the 500, particularly when riding 2-up.

Old 04-03-2007, 04:01 PM
Pro Rider

Good post 700v!

Everyone bitches about the price, sure there is a difference, but not too much!

You can go wrong with any of these rides. When 1 has a adv. over 1 in a cat. then its visversa

If cat made a vtwin800 2up it would make things very interesting. Near future?

Old 04-03-2007, 06:51 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the good replys. I did forget to mention that if I get either the polaris deluex models or the BRP max XT models that I won't get the aftermarket tires b/c the tire they use seem pretty good and I will not be deep mud boggin with this machine. I am however concerned with making sure I have enough power when carrying an extra rider, and thus is why I am leaning towards the bigger cc motors. I don't want to bog down any when going up hills.

We are starting to get away from just mud riding and want to ride in the national forrest and go to other places like Utah, Colorado, etc for vacation rides. This is why I will make the brute a mudder only machine for when I feel the urge. Also, I forgot to mention that we will probably eventually move to Colorado, Utah, New Mexico or Wyoming in the coming years and thus I want EFI.

One last thing, the local dealer sells both polaris and BRP and is co-owners with the arctic cat dealer. He is a himroide to say the least. They will not come off the MSRP $1 and also charges about $600 extra for freight prep and make ready. To me, this is BS. Each kawie I have purchased was an OTD price and was lower than the MSRP. So, if kawie can do it, others can. Which leads me to believe it is the dealer.

Furthermore, this dealers head mechanic is a jerk. I have rode with him about 10 different time (not by choice) and one of the times he was using a customers polaris 330 ATV and busted the front rack. He said, "No big deal, I will replace it and roll back the miles." This has happened a few times, thus is why I would be willing to drive a distance for a good dealer.

Anyway, thanks for the good replys. I still haven't decided and probably will soak in all the replys over the next week before I make up my mind. AND YES, I LOVE POWER.......LOL.

Old 04-03-2007, 08:20 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I would have a tough choice between AC and the Can-Am. I wont look at Polaris yet, as ive seen to many issues latley with reliability. Mabey a few lemons, but who knows

Trending Topics

Old 04-04-2007, 12:42 AM
Pro Rider

I do like the that you can add a dump box to the ac650 H1, but I wish the rack was permanent rather than just plastic fenders showing when the extra rider is riding. However, the price for the 650 H1 TRV LE model is only $200 more than the can-am 500 Max. Hmmmm. I think this Saturday, I will at least go see each of these at the local bung hole dealer, but I won't buy from him. Maybe seeing each machine at the same location will help me, and they BRP's and polaris's I can ride. Not sure about the AC650 H1. I do know one thing for sure, I have decided not to go with anything less than a 650cc 2-up machine. And, I plan on paying cash, so hopefully that will help lower the price wherever I decided to buy at and whatever I decide to buy.

Old 04-04-2007, 04:22 PM
Elite Pro Rider

700vtwinman - I think you should have rated AC higher in both ride and handling.

v2rider - Not sure why Polaris is considered to have so many issues with their wheelers. Polaris claims to have the lowest rate of issues of any motorcycle, and their sleds are good, too.

Old 04-05-2007, 12:30 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: DeeDawg
700vtwinman - I think you should have rated AC higher in both ride and handling.

v2rider - Not sure why Polaris is considered to have so many issues with their wheelers. Polaris claims to have the lowest rate of issues of any motorcycle, and their sleds are good, too.
Sorry, I was just going on non-factual data. I was just a general observation of all the atving knowledge I have heard. I will give AC a chance this Saturday as well as the others. Then I will post my thoughts and continue to see what you guys think. I in no means ment that AC was bad. It just might be the right fit for me, but I must have some seat time.

BTW, I noticed you are on active duty. I PERSONALLY THANK YOU AND ALL THE OTHERS WHO ARE SERVING AND HAVE SERVED IN OUR ARMED FORCES. May God bless and protect you and many of us appreciate all the men and women serving.

Quick Reply: Help deciding on right 2-up machine for me???????