Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Which 2007 650cc+ utility quad to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 02:59 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which 2007 650cc+ utility quad to buy?

Hi guys. I know that this question has been discussed before, but I'm hoping as more people log miles on these new quads, more info is available. I have a ranch and this quad will be used 75% for pleasure, and about 25% work. The following is important to me:

1. Good brakes.
2. Good suspension.
3. Comfortable.
4. Reliable, and able to last a long time.
5. Effective and efficient 4wd sytem.
6. Good acceleration and top speed.
7. Best bang for the buck.

I was almost ready to pull the trigger on a 2007 Honda Rincon, but I've recently entertained the following others:

1. Honda Rincon 680
2. Kawasaki Brute Force 750 4x4i
3. Suzuki KQ 700efi

What I'm asking I guess it what you guys think from real world experiences, whether it be through actually owning and riding a certain quad, to just plain observations.

Thanks for any and all help, and this is an expensive expenditure, and since I plan on keeping it a while, want to make the right decision once.

John

Old 05-12-2007, 03:04 PM
Pro Rider

everything your wanting has the can-am 650xt writen all over it. you want a good ride you can't beat independent suspension.

Old 05-12-2007, 04:10 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: Dufrane
everything your wanting has the can-am 650xt writen all over it. you want a good ride you can't beat independent suspension.
Thanks for the advice!!

The specs definitly looks good, but the MSRP of $9,599 isn't too nice. I'd like to keep my new purchase under $8,000. I'll be putting down about $3,500 and financing the rest.

John

Old 05-12-2007, 04:16 PM
Pro Rider

i know the price is a bit steep......but i'm 38 and figure might be the last bike i'll ever own....so i said what the hey...also...got the automatic for the kids...check my pics.......and it's nice to have the best bike at the mud pit.

Old 05-12-2007, 10:18 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Check out the 650H1 Arctic Cat, or better yet for the speed and wheel standing power, look for a 2006 650V2 with the kawi VTwin in it. I havnt finished all the add ons on mine yet, and it tops around 70mph, and flips itself over from a dead stop. Also, AC has a very well liked shift on the fly 4x4, and a manual diff locker

Old 05-13-2007, 03:06 AM
Pro Rider

I gotta recommend the new Grizzly 700 here. Fuel Injection, comfortable ride, 4x4 with diff lock, and of course POWER STEERING! The power steering is amazing. I recently was in this same dilemma and after riding a friends new Griz I was sold on it so I went and got my own.

Old 05-13-2007, 03:37 AM
Pro Rider

Out of the ones you mentioned I would go with the King Quad. It is the most well rounded of the bunch. It needs a new air filter before you run it though. Plus there is a new ECU coming out for it that will really juice it up. Really nice machine. Suzuki is crap for service after the sale though so be warned.

The Brute Force needs a new set of high dollar shocks before it is really useful for anything. It is a great machine if you want to build a hot rod or a mudder or something. A great machine for projects.

The Honda doesn't have a locker and apparently doesn't ever intend to offer one no matter how loud their dealers scream about it. It cripples the machine for many purposes. I'm a long time Honda fan and a Honda owner but I'll skip buying a new Honda until they figure out 4 wheel drive means just that.

The Grizzly is a good machine but it is having teething problems in its first year. They are having problems with the Electronic Fuel Injection, with boiling gas and with the power steering being damaged from debris or being submerged. Give it a year or so to get the bugs worked out. it's a winner in the making though. Great machine if you want to be a Yamaha's beta tester.

A couple of others:

Can-Am 800
hideously fast, needs skid plates, hit and miss front differential. Super fun ride.

Polaris 800
super smooth ride, crappy 1 handle brake like can-am, only get models with ADC, sorta heavy but seems rugged.

Trending Topics

Old 05-13-2007, 06:43 AM
Weekend Warrior

You don't need a 650 cc or bigger!
A 400 cc Suzuki Eiger will do anything any full size quad will do!
An Eiger will tow the same weight, go through any mud hole and climb any hill that any quad will do.
The only thing a bigger quad will do better is a higher top speed.
But? Ask yourself? Do you want a quad that has a 10 mph faster top speed?
NO! I don't think so! I think your a man with common sence knowing riding any 4x4 ATV you will spend 99% of your time riding it slow in rough conditions.
The top speed on my Eiger is 55 mph, but only had it at that speed just once.
When everybody is riding through the woods the max speed for any ATV is less than 15 mph
I have seen grown men cry real tears when my Eiger will out-perform their full size quad.
Don't get me wrong, I understand the pride they have owning a full size quad, but owning the best and most powerfull quad won't make you a better and a fearless rider, the same way if a mechanic owns the best and most expensive tools don't make him a better mechanic.
Save your money, buy a Suzuki Eiger, you will ride it with a smile on your face knowing you paid less and it will do the same job any other quad will do.

Thank You

Eiger Joe

Old 05-13-2007, 10:35 AM
Trailblazer

Well, thanks for the replies guys!!

I do have to tell you, I'm seriously looking at the Yamaha Grizzly and the Kawi BF750. I like the BF because mainly beacause of it's price point and financing. From a technological aspect, the power and speed is appealing. This is my first utility quad, but I'm coming from many years of racing streetbikes and MX, so I guess that's where I get the speed needs from. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

I've heard the progressive locker on the BF750 was pretty damn good, and although many don't like the carbs, I see a positive thing about them; they're simpler, and when they DO fail, wil be cheaper to fix rather than an expensive fuel injection system.

The Grizzly 700 looks apealing for many reasons too. Their quality is on par with Honda, power steering sounds nice, and it seems to be pretty capabale in everything. The drawback, in my eyes, is again, the complexity of the both the fuel injection and the power steering.

Out of the Yamaha Grizzly and the Kawasaki BF750, what would you guys list as the pro's and con's of each?

I'm really excited about this purchase, as we've just moved to Colorado, and there is sooooo much exploring to do in this state. Heck, my property backs up to 55,000 acres of state and federal land!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Thanks so much.

John

Old 05-13-2007, 12:34 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I have seen grown men cry real tears when my Eiger will out-perform their full size quad.

>>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>

Another quote someone should incorporate into their signature under "MotoF150"

Quick Reply: Which 2007 650cc+ utility quad to buy?