Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

When do you really need 4wd

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007 | 01:34 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default When do you really need 4wd

ok went with my buddy and watched a little of him in action with his KFX450R racing through the mountains I came to a few conclusions. With the exception of snow, deep mudd and a few others the 2wd goes everywhere the 4x4's did, also reverse is a must also I don't feel like rejetting carb if I move or go somewhere else for for simplicity it's gonna be EFI. That basically leaves the KFX450R and the Raptor 700R. My pick would be the 700 as with lower compression it stalls less and starts easier, little heavier but the extra torque I think these two are basically the same speed with the 700 trying less. My buddy seems to agree and is giving up his ideas for the Ren 800. And then I'll just buy a used Polaris 4x4 for my Girl and whenever i need it.

Old 09-04-2007 | 01:58 PM
Pro Rider

how about the Polaris outlaw with irs rear end ,good ground clearance and sporty to .

Old 09-04-2007 | 05:24 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: deanz400

how about the Polaris outlaw with irs rear end ,good ground clearance and sporty to .</end quote></div>

not 4-wheel drive.................

Old 09-04-2007 | 05:28 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: brusk

Ok i've only ridden older crappy quads me and my buddy are looking for new ones and unsure if we need a 4x4 or not. We are thinking some sporty 4x4 like a Wolverine or a Renegade 800 would be fun but if 2wd is fine we'd just go get some yfz450's or something. We won't be jumping like some of our crazy friends and won't be doing massive mudding not really into that either. So goofing on having fun around the farm and going through the mountains and maybe small streams with our buddies. So would a YFZ450 or KFX450 with some skid plates and decent tires be ok or should we look at like a Wolv with maybe a BBK or in my buddies case overkill and get the Ren 800 that I'm guessing should be able to go anywhere.</end quote></div>

don't get anything with chain drive,all you do is work on those pieces of crab,i don't even know why they even make them, i guess to give somebody something to do,go figure...................

Old 09-04-2007 | 06:37 PM
Canadian and Proud of it !!!

Buy a 2wd drive. I ride in a club with mostly 4x4 and I can go anywhere they go. Yes I will go around the big mud holes but that is because i don't want to get dirty. Snow is way more fun on a 2wd. I run a set of Maxxis 4-snows on back in the winter and can usually go further then the 4x4 guys. I have about 4 inches of ground clearance and do fine over most stuff. You will have to ride a little hard when it comes to the deep mud/snow - I just mean you can't be scared to hit it with a little speed.

Old 09-04-2007 | 07:19 PM
|
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: wayout

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: brusk

Ok i've only ridden older crappy quads me and my buddy are looking for new ones and unsure if we need a 4x4 or not. We are thinking some sporty 4x4 like a Wolverine or a Renegade 800 would be fun but if 2wd is fine we'd just go get some yfz450's or something. We won't be jumping like some of our crazy friends and won't be doing massive mudding not really into that either. So goofing on having fun around the farm and going through the mountains and maybe small streams with our buddies. So would a YFZ450 or KFX450 with some skid plates and decent tires be ok or should we look at like a Wolv with maybe a BBK or in my buddies case overkill and get the Ren 800 that I'm guessing should be able to go anywhere.</end quote></div>

don't get anything with chain drive,all you do is work on those pieces of crab,i don't even know why they even make them, i guess to give somebody something to do,go figure...................</end quote></div>

I've never seen any of my friends have chain problems and they abuse the crap out of them. I don't really see the need for an IRS plus I looked at the Polaris and something about the body just didn't look nice I'm not sure what it was but didn't have any apeal. Granted the engine is nasty but once again I just wanna go the easy way and get fuel injection.

Old 09-04-2007 | 09:44 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Get a 4x4. You will wish you had it more than not.

Old 09-05-2007 | 12:57 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: v2rider

Get a 4x4. You will wish you had it more than not.</end quote></div>

115%agreed

Old 09-05-2007 | 08:48 AM
Pro Rider

The wolvy is a great quad. I have never had a 4x4 until now. I have done some mods to make it a little better, and I am working on more mods for it right now. I dont regret having the 4x4 at the touch of a button because I cross creeks on it that are up to the handlebars, ride in really rough rocks so the 4x4 can help me crawl over them. And in the snow it is even better.

Old 09-05-2007 | 12:48 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

I see alot of people go through some amazing stuff with 2wd, It,s a chain drive ATV that bothers me more,not only do they have very low ground clearance but a rear sprocket does not hold up to impacts as well a rear differential can on trails. We only ride with 3 chain driven ATVs ,a 91 Honda 200 Fourtraxs,300 Lakota and a 500 Scambler and all 3 have thrown or broke chains when trail riding.

Do they make sporty 2wd ATV with shalf drives? thats what I would look into.