Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

When do you really need 4wd

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007 | 09:07 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default When do you really need 4wd

Safe, right. Specifically when ground is being broken. Lots of dirt and hills for fill and shallow puddles from low ground. Its a blast, is that why they call it a blaster?

Old 10-05-2007 | 12:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

Get 4x4, I use it to drive my atv up in the back of a pickup. Plus, you never know when you'll need it and you'll be glad you paid the few extra bucks..

Old 10-06-2007 | 02:35 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: deanz400

Hey V2 I do remember a hill you had to lock in 4x4 and I made it with my Z ,J/k, I agree totally that 4x4 has great advantages on many trails and mud holes ,i don't use my Z400 for mudding not made for it , so every machine out there does better in some situations then other machines just have to know the limitaions of your machine .</end quote></div>

You had to go there didnt you. But you are right. On the contrary, you also didnt follow me into the giant mud hole did you?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 10-10-2007 | 01:42 AM
Pro Rider

Well, I have been through this inside out and upside down... and here are my thoughts...

I wish the economy was to the point where every ATV fan could afford a PAIR.
One sport atv and one utility 4x4.

My honest advice is that I think you two should stick together and respect each other a lot...
And I think one of you should get a 400cc class Sport ATV, and I think the other should get the same in a utility 4x4.

The two of you can ride together and have a lot of fun. The utility can be the pack mule, and get the sport unstuck and do recon on unfamiliar trails, etc... and the only trade off is the sport rider will have to slow down some once in a while.

Then if you two can respect each other and each other's property, you can trade quads once in a while for a particular ride the other may not be going on, etc...

Personally, my goal is to get a pair of used ATV's if I ever run across the right ones. I want one smaller utility 4x4 with a 2-up rack box seat and also a sport. Eventually, the 4 of us will be able to go on family rides and I will have BOTH types of quads to use at other times for particular types of riding when I want to go ride hard.

Old 10-10-2007 | 08:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

That is why I have a 2x4 ozark and a 4x4 Eiger. It is the best of both worlds I think. The ozark is extremely sporty without the hassle of a clutch and the eiger is the work horse.

Old 10-10-2007 | 08:26 PM
Trailblazer

I second that Duster! TG

Old 10-10-2007 | 08:47 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

you can trade quads once in a while for a particular ride the other may not be going on, etc...

&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&g t;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&g t;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] Not going to happen. I wont let my own wife touch my atv[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 10-11-2007 | 07:28 AM
Pro Rider

You would need 4 wheel drive if you followed me 2 day's ago when i crossed a paved road , and down in a ditch it was so deep even though there was no mud or water in it ; but it's about four foot deep ! And when the front wheel's hit the bottom the steering turned so far to the left my 2006 Arctic Cat 400 Auto 4x4 wouldn't pull out of it untill i put it in reverse and gave it gas so i could straiighten the front wheel's ! Then ease off the gas so the wheel's where straight when they touched the bottom ; then i just put in high range and gave it the gas again and it crawled right out and up the bank with eise ! Anyone who has been on or seen how big and tall a 2006 AC 400 is know's the 400 has the same size chassis as the 650's , and i know this is something most rider's wouldn't try to do ; but no 2 wheel drive no matter the brand make or model would've gotten out of this ditch with it's own power no matter how big the engine size ! I thought at first i was into something i wasn't going to get out of it was that deep , and i don't have any leg's below the knee's so i would've had to call someone to come and tow me out of this ditch for sure ! And i've heard people who own the 2006 AC 400 auto 4x4 talk about them not having a low range reverse ; that they didn't have enough power when trying to back up something this extreme or hauling a heavy load of wood on a trailer ! But mine had enough power to get me out ! I know this wouldn't be a fair test for a 2 wheel drive atv , but this was truly the time for 4 wheel drive ; you could've jumped the ditch if it weren't for the big rock's and tree stump's on the otherside ! You have to go around these rock's and stump's that go all the way to the other street , and up another steep bank that you can't get a run at to climb up this bank to the road ; so v2rider is right about there being time's you can't use speed to play follow the leader! When i ride with some friend's and relative's on some swampy trail's where there are beaver pond's and creek's so deep you need 4x4 to make it though them , a tall atv with irs and good ground clearance is a muct have feature ; my Arctic Cat with it's irs and 12" ground clearance and 10" suspension travel for the rough stuff will come in handy ! We're in a drought down south where i live , with an outside watering ban that has been in efect all summer long ; we can't even wash our car's or quad's unless it's at an automated type car wash it hasn't been this bad in over 20 yrs. where i live ! And it's 6 to 8 month's since i've been down to my cousin's house , where we ride the swamp's and creek's ; so i don't know the condition's of the trail's are in that we usually ride ! But there are a lot of natural spring's and mountain creek's that run down the main creek , where the beaver pond's are they're usually still pretty deep when everything else is dried up ; we need rain bad down here real bad ! ............... Up Date , we're suppose to get some rain by Thursday Oct.18th 2007 ; but i wouldn't hold my breath or place a bet on getting anywhere as much of a soaking type of rain we need to do us any good ! We can only pray for it to come a good one , with no servere thunder storm's or tornado's ; that come with it ! .................

Old 10-15-2007 | 02:53 PM
Pro Rider

So... Did you ever make a decision??? We'd like to hear about it...

You should really buy a quad based on where you're going to be doing most of your riding... along with what other quads you'll be riding with. The guys that keep telling you to get a sport quad would have little to zero fun riding with my friends. There's just not a whole lot of places to open it up. The trails are tight and the creeks are too deep. Now if you lived near some place like glamis then getting a sport quad would probably be more practical... I'm lucky enough to own 5 quads... but I still hardly put any miles on my sport quads...

Old 10-16-2007 | 11:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hebs, what are you rich, sheesh! Nice rides.