Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Wreck while loading pickup.

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 12:58 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wreck while loading pickup.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>I'll stick to useing my trailers ,no windows to break </end quote></div>

I know if I posted something like that, it would be bad Karma and the next trip I'd jack-knife the trailer somehow...

PS: Thank you for your service.

Old 10-04-2007, 01:19 PM
2TV
Pro Rider

You might try using a pair of those automobile ramps in the bed of your truck. These are the little ramps that you can drive your car up on to give you a little more clearance for working underneath of it. By putting these ramps at the forward end of your bed, it raises the front end of the quad up enough where the bumper may miss the back window. If it doesn't you could always attach a block of wood to back of the ramps to act as a spacer and a wheel stop to give you the clearance you need. Also by lifting the front end of your quad like this, it may pull the back end in enough to where you can close your tailgate (with a toolbox in the back of my long bed, without the ramps I cannot close my tailgate, with the ramps I have about 3" of clearance after closing the tailgate)...

Old 10-04-2007, 02:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I build all my trailers have gone thru the 2 trailers I have they are totally refurbished now with new decks and a lowered side wall on my bigger one so I can side load easier ,only have S-10 Blazer to tow with so trailers are my only option.

Old 10-04-2007, 04:33 PM
Pro Rider
Reconranger (automatics are for sissies)!

You ARE lucky that's the worst of it. A woman here in central PA got killed a few weeks ago by the ramp slipping and the ATV falling on her. An avid rider who had a momentary lapse of reason. SO...be happy it was just a window.
Buck

Old 10-04-2007, 04:47 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 168 Likes on 167 Posts

I used to load my old Polaris in the back of my Ranger. Major pain to get over the wheel wells. Hit the back window, once. Didn't break it, but can't figure out how.

Anyway, did kinda what 2TV suggested. Went to home depot and bought some treated 2x8's. Made a ramp the fit between the wheel wells. Was just a tad (a small one) lower than the wells, and only made it long enough that that leading ramp was about a foot behind the wells. Accidentally cut it to the perfect length. When the front wheels of the quad hit the back wall of the bed, the angle of the bumper was up so it couldn't hit the window. And the back wheels stopped right on the ramped part. I still could slide my bifold ramps between the ramps, and close the tailgate.

I used to have a pic of it somewhere, I try to find it and post it.

Now with the kfx, I can lift it over the wells. (much lighter)

Old 10-04-2007, 07:59 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks all for ideas. After several days to cool off and after replacing broken window I don't feel so bad. I don't think I am ready to celebrate but it sure could have been much worse.
I use the plywood over the plastic bed liner because this makes working in the back of pickup and loading dirt bikes much easier. The loose plywood isn't such a good idea with a heavy powerfull quad and I expect to be changing to a non slip spray on liner soon.
I also have a large and low flat bed trailer that I use for more than one quad and for multiple motorcycles. I will probably just use this low flatbed in future for all quad hauling and forget the pickup. Much safer. Bad things happen so fast and the consequenses can be severe.