Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

I need advice for snow plowing

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 11:29 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need advice for snow plowing

So do I need to be worried about breaking cables with the plow? I take it with the electric lift you don't need a winch. Do you still have problems with breaking cables on that as well? What are the advantage of an electric lift? Does it lift faster or something? Cheaper?

Also, do any of you spread stones with the plow or do you use that device that Reb2 shows in his pictures?

Thanks,

Old 12-29-2007, 02:24 AM
Pro Rider

I currently run a Polaris 425 and a Polaris/Cycle Country blade. I plow a long gravel driveway and a good sized lot area. It has enough power to do the job. The plow is built well and I just use a manual lift which gives me a little better "feel" on the gravel. I can just scrape the gravel without digging into it. I also use the same plow for spreading rock and other driveway maintenance. I was quite pleased with its ability to move rock around and actually grade the driveway. The only annoyance I have with the plow set up is crawling around to hook up the plow to the ATV. Getting the pins lined up can be a pain especially on a muddy, wet garage floor. Cycle Country does make a new quick mount for it that I'm going to try.

As far as machine recommendations I would say a 500cc machine would be fine. The new Polaris Glacier plows are really sweet if you're going with a newer Sportsman. I would advise making sure you get a machine with a locking front differential. My old Honda just had their "torque sensing limited slip" front differential and it hindered my plowing and other chores and pretty much crippled it for serious trail duty. A 500 cc class machine with true four wheel drive equipped with a good plow will do about anything you ask it to.

Old 12-29-2007, 02:34 AM
Weekend Warrior

I used to break winch cables alot until I changed how the cable attaches to the plow. All I did was connect a pulley to the plow where the winch hook normaly connects. I run the cable through the pulley and attach the hook to a high tube on the front bumper (make sure its stout). Been running that set up for two winters now and no broke cables. No damge to the bumper. Using an 01 Rubicon.

Old 12-29-2007, 03:07 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>So do I need to be worried about breaking cables with the plow? I take it with the electric lift you don't need a winch. Do you still have problems with breaking cables on that as well? What are the advantage of an electric lift? Does it lift faster or something? Cheaper? </end quote></div>

Some folks using winches will use a cable extension, to avoid repeatedly flexing the same spot in the winch cable.

Dedicated electric plow lifts are generally a little electric motor and cable to lift the plow via push buttons on the bar. The advantage of using an electric lift over using a winch is that a good winch is much more expensive, requires a mounting plate and significant installation time.

Of course the advantage of having a winch is that it can drag your quad out when you get stuck...

A hand lift is less expensive, and can be faster. Usually there is a lever sticking up from the floorboard area. The disadvantage is that it is more work than just pushing a button, and not everyone is physically able.

If you google "cyclecountry electric plow lift" you will hit on pages that will give you a better idea of what they look like and how they work.

Old 01-01-2008, 12:06 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

AC and Polaris have the weight advantage. I like AC for its best Ground clearance, diff lock.

Old 01-01-2008, 12:50 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey all, I can't argue with anything thus far. I just wanted to raise a couple observations of mine. I live in SE Wiscosnin and we get about 30-40" of snows a year...(29" so far this year though)

I've been plowing a shared driveway of a total of 3/4 mile (rough gravel) for three years now...Plows take abuse from frozen stones...check for skid plate and mount bolt fastener tightness after each plowing.
I use a winch cable...no visible damge thus far. I am aware that there may be some wear over time - a new cable ($40) is in the plan for next spring as this one has (IMO) been stressed too often by riding extractions and other tree cutting uses already. I'll go with a 10' synthetic plow rope then ($20). I've used a manual lift too...I prefer the winch control - the winch power overrides ice and packed snow on the frame members more efficiently.

My SP 500 has handled all snows ...even wet heavy snows up to 14" to date. Bigger is nicer, not necessarily better. If your driveways are long, get the wider blade and consider a country style blade too to help roll the snow.

Old 01-01-2008, 09:31 AM
Weekend Warrior

do not use a Cycle Country Plow
Cycle Country Plows are junk!
the problem with Cycle County Plows is the winch hook up is too close to the angle adjustment lever so when you lift the plow the winch hook grabs on to the angle adjustment lever and moves the angle of the plow and makes it limp.
best plow: Moose Plow
also the best ATV for plowing is a gear drive ATV, the Yamaha Big Bear, Suzuki Eiger, or Vinson MANUAL, shift model!
the cvt belt drive ATV's can't handle pushing heavy snow, the belts slip.
I am an expert on snow plowing with an ATV, I live in a heavy snowbelt, lake effect snow area and everybody owns one and take my word for it.

Old 01-01-2008, 09:51 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: BarrtRice

do not use a Cycle Country Plow

Cycle Country Plows are junk!

the problem with Cycle County Plows is the winch hook up is too close to the angle adjustment lever so when you lift the plow the winch hook grabs on to the angle adjustment lever and moves the angle of the plow and makes it limp.

best plow: Moose Plow

also the best ATV for plowing is a gear drive ATV, the Yamaha Big Bear, Suzuki Eiger, or Vinson MANUAL, shift model!

the cvt belt drive ATV's can't handle pushing heavy snow, the belts slip.

I am an expert on snow plowing with an ATV, I live in a heavy snowbelt, lake effect snow area and everybody owns one and take my word for it.</end quote></div>

L....O....L The belt drives perform just as well pushing snow as any other. I live in Minnesota, and have plowed plenty of snow with my belt driven ATV. Most ATVs are belt driven now which proves they are as good as the next. Alot of people will even go as far to say an Automatic is better than a manual. They both work well, but to say the CVT cant handle job is ridiculous

Old 01-01-2008, 01:55 PM
Range Rover

Barrtrice, what makes a person an expert?

Old 01-01-2008, 02:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Reb2

Barrtrice, what makes a person an expert?</end quote></div>

I makes me an expert cause I have owned ATV's since ATV's were invented.
It used to be all ATV's were gear drive and only one brand was belt drive
and you all know what brand was the only belt drive and you all know how junk it was ( and still is )
You guys are new to ATV's that the only ones you know about are the belt drives!
You guys listen to some slick talking salesman telling you the belt drives are the greatest.
That slick talking saleman doesn't fool me cause I spend a lot of my time towing those belt drives outta the woods.
Maybe you guys don't run and abuse your belt drive as tough as I run mine and you never run it hard enough to experience any problems with the belt, or you're afraid your mommy might get mad at you if you break that wonderful belt drive.
I don't care if you own a toy ATV and run it like a girl, but all I know my gear drive will go where your toy won't go.

Quick Reply: I need advice for snow plowing