Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Buying a new quad

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 07:41 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a new quad

Well after deciding the KQ 300 I bought about a month ago just wasn't going to cut it in the rough terrain I have to travel over to get to trails I pestered my wife s'more and I'm gettin' a new quad!!!!!

Now I've had belt driven automatics and have had problems with some, I want something that will run for years without having to replace parts or smoking a belt in a mud hole. I can't believe how hard it is to find a decent mid range machine with a 5 speed manual gear box! Hondas are out of the picture because they don't come with lockers, the AC 500 is probably out of my price range, I'm a little leary about them anyways from what I've seen of their snowmobiles. All my atvs have been SRA (besides the KQ), I want an IRS machine, I don't work my atvs or hunt so IRS squat under weight is a non issue. I've pretty much decided on a 2008 Yamaha Big Bear 400 but I'm still open to other suggestions.

Old 05-10-2008, 09:06 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Once you get above 400 to 500cc's you start to run out of options if you're set against a CVT machine. I wouldn't write the belt driven machines off - early CVT machines had some problems but in the past few years most belt problems come from abuse, not design. A little bit of common sense like not pulling heavy loads or deep mud while high reving in high range and the belts will last a long, long time.

We did some maintenance on my brothers old '02 Prairie 650 last year. Went in to replace the belt just because it had over 4,000 miles on it (original belt). When we compared the old belt to the new, you couldn't even tell any difference.

Just trying to point out that if you find a quad with all the features you are looking for but it's also a CVT, that it may be the best way to go.

Jaybee

Old 05-11-2008, 09:18 AM
Pro Rider

Funny thing about that... the machine I had that had belt issues was a 2002 KVF 650 which is the Canadian version of the Prairie 650. I really liked that macine ecept for the belt problems and for some reason the front end seemed to have less ground clearance than the back even though it had SRA. If i was going to hit something the front would be what would hit it.

Old 05-11-2008, 10:13 PM
Pro Rider

What about the Grizzly 450, been around for years, locker, auto. plenty of engine, IRS. This is a great reliable quad that has a whole slew of aftermarket accessories for whatever you want to do with it. I have one and it will go anywhere, plenty of ground clearance, small enough for any trail. I even know people who can do wheelies with it, if thats your thing.

Old 05-12-2008, 01:07 PM
Pro Rider

I didn't really want to spend any extra but I just talked to my dealer this morning and the closest BB is in Winnipeg Manitoba which is half way across the country. He said it would be no problem getting it but it would take three weeks. I told him I couldn't commit until I had the old KQ sold.

Old 05-14-2008, 03:11 AM
Range Rover

look at it like this- pretty much from 400cc's on, the utility quads are full sized machines and have identical features. The only real difference is sheer engine size. The AC 400 has all the same 4x4 features and descent control that my 700 does. All have the same tow rating.

The bigger difference is in EFI or power steering. All should have an IRS option, HI and LO range with a locking front diff. All have some kind of descent control. Small differences like gauges make the difference in the end really.

In the mid-sized realm some sacrifice the LO range while others keep that but have no locker in front. Still others only have a solid rear axle option. It's more diverse there. Past 400cc's, all the quads have the full range of features so it's all about engine size.

So choosing one over another is really about what pricing you can find, what dealer incentives or factory giveaways are going on. Arctic Cat for example is offering $69 a month till 2010 right now and a free two year extended warranty. Honda always has decent deals and polaris is so popular, they must be offering alot.

Between all the top manufacturers, the machines are all incredibly capable and all function fairly close in performance.

Old 05-17-2008, 11:02 PM
Range Rover

id go with grizzly 660 i think it is

Old 05-21-2008, 02:46 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do not think you can go wrong with the Big Bear. It has everything you want in a new machine. I would consider one myself except I want more speed than it will give for some of the trails and other machines I ride with.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Old 05-21-2008, 08:24 PM
Pro Rider

Well the new quad is off for this year... having to spend $1000 on our vehicle has put the brakes on that... and Toyotas are s'posed ot run for ever pffffft... stupid staked universal joints!

Anyhoo... I'm going to look at a 2003 Yamaha Kodiak 450 tomorrow, it has 4700 km on it and comes with some extras, winch, windsheild, cargo box w/pass seat & pegs. I know I said I wanted IRS and 5 speed but there isn't too much around locally to choose from, if it's in good shape I'll probably buy it.

Old 05-21-2008, 10:45 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: EastCoastWest

Well after deciding the KQ 300 I bought about a month ago just wasn't going to cut it in the rough terrain I have to travel over to get to trails I pestered my wife s'more and I'm gettin' a new quad!!!!!

Now I've had belt driven automatics and have had problems with some, I want something that will run for years without having to replace parts or smoking a belt in a mud hole. I can't believe how hard it is to find a decent mid range machine with a 5 speed manual gear box! Hondas are out of the picture because they don't come with lockers, the AC 500 is probably out of my price range, I'm a little leary about them anyways from what I've seen of their snowmobiles. All my atvs have been SRA (besides the KQ), I want an IRS machine, I don't work my atvs or hunt so IRS squat under weight is a non issue. I've pretty much decided on a 2008 Yamaha Big Bear 400 but I'm still open to other suggestions.</end quote></div>

I love these questions, a 5 speed Utility of some type? Well since there are so few still made and Honda is off your list because of no diff Lock and AC is to much $$

That only leaves the Big Bear.

You trust a belt on your high powered sled but think it will not hold up to a low powered ATV?

Quick Reply: Buying a new quad