Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Whats the best mud bogging atv

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 11:25 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats the best mud bogging atv

lol the ac is cool if you have $9,529.00 i rather get a sportsman 800

Old 07-13-2008, 09:16 PM
Pro Rider

Anything that locks all 4 wheels together is true 4wd. I don't see how a system like the one that Polaris uses could work well when rock crawling because it would be constantly locking and unlocking. But hey, I've never ridden one or seen one attempt to hit a serious rock section. To each his own, but I personally like to have a system that is manually locked in or out.

Old 07-15-2008, 12:14 PM
Range Rover

I too like being able to manually engage or disengage the locker! Can the polaris be riden in two wheel drive only?

Old 07-15-2008, 01:01 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: tancat500

I too like being able to manually engage or disengage the locker! Can the polaris be riden in two wheel drive only?</end quote></div>

Yes if the AWD is off the fronts never engage or atleast should not.
The system has true 4wd like lockers,too many Polaris at dead pull and mud run contest in 1st,2nd or 3rd for them to have a normal 3x4 set up.

Old 07-15-2008, 02:22 PM
Range Rover

Good that would suck if you couldn't ever play in two wheel drive!!

Old 07-20-2008, 12:18 AM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: BradW

Anything that locks all 4 wheels together is true 4wd. I don't see how a system like the one that Polaris uses could work well when rock crawling because it would be constantly locking and unlocking. But hey, I've never ridden one or seen one attempt to hit a serious rock section. To each his own, but I personally like to have a system that is manually locked in or out.</end quote></div>

The Polaris AWD works like a Detroit locker if you know what that is. The fronts can turn faster than the rears but never slower. The Polaris AWD are rock climbing beasts. AWD will pull when needed and release when not needed, that makes steering very easy. All others must stop and unlock the front diff to steer. Except CanAm viscos and Honda.

Old 07-20-2008, 08:52 AM
Range Rover

In my expirience w/ arctic cat you can turn w/ the locker engaged if the terrain allows. And if it doesn't you don'y really need the locker! By the way you dont have to stop to engage the locker just slow down and engage it, while being gentle with the throttle, once the front spins and everything is aligned it will engage or disengage for that matter! You just have to be gentle w/ as to prevent damage when it suddenly engages! Also if you are riding in 2 wheel and need full lock, just slow down and engage the locker and it will also engage 4 wheel drive. At least mine does any way! If its not suppose to then i have a problem, but its kinda handy!

Old 07-20-2008, 06:35 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: JMR866

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: BradW

Anything that locks all 4 wheels together is true 4wd. I don't see how a system like the one that Polaris uses could work well when rock crawling because it would be constantly locking and unlocking. But hey, I've never ridden one or seen one attempt to hit a serious rock section. To each his own, but I personally like to have a system that is manually locked in or out.</end quote></div>

The Polaris AWD works like a Detroit locker if you know what that is. The fronts can turn faster than the rears but never slower. The Polaris AWD are rock climbing beasts. AWD will pull when needed and release when not needed, that makes steering very easy. All others must stop and unlock the front diff to steer. Except CanAm viscos and Honda.</end quote></div>

My understanding (correct me if I'm wrong) is that the Polaris AWD works by the front-end having a different gear-ratio than the rear and some sort of sprag clutch so that when the rear tries to spin faster than the front, the front engages until wheel-speed is equal and then disengages. Yes, that is kinda how a detroit works, but I wouldn't want a detroit in my transfer-case connecting the front and rear drive-shafts so that I had to brake the rear-end lose in order to engage 4x4. Seems counter-intuitive because the rear wouldn't have broken lose in the first place if it was just locked in 4x4. I'm not bad-mouthing this set-up (since I don't have to have it). I'm just a believer in the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" philosophy. Traditional 4x4 has worked well for the past 100 years, so I'll stick with it.

Old 07-20-2008, 08:10 PM
Pro Rider

There was a video a few years ago about people who say the Polaris AWD isn't good for rock crawling. They videoed a sp going through a rock course that most 4x4 owners would never even attempt locker or not. The sp went right through it and you could never tel when or when not it was locked. It locked that fast. It was the most impressive display I've seen.

Old 07-20-2008, 08:42 PM
Pro Rider

i love my 3wd honda it goes though pretty deep mud , but i think yam or polaris is the best for the deep stuff

Quick Reply: Whats the best mud bogging atv