Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Whats the best mud bogging atv

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 06:35 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats the best mud bogging atv

I mean can with like a 2" inch lift what is the best atve to mud bog.Thanks

Old 06-03-2008, 07:39 PM
Trailblazer

Any BB will do the job. Are you looking for a particular brand?

Old 06-03-2008, 11:13 PM
Trailblazer

Kawasaki, AC, KQ, Sportsman because of the dealers

Old 06-04-2008, 03:14 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Polaris EFI Sportsmans are the only ones with good tires on them stock. 26" radials. It does a good job without a lift or anything.

Old 06-04-2008, 07:15 AM
Pro Rider

Try checking out the highlifter page for mud to extreme mud machines. It is pretty much what you want to put into one. Much of mudding has to do with technique also.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:57 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Big power,big tires and True 4WD. You just have to have that,its not a brand thing.

Old 06-04-2008, 11:17 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: TLC

Big power,big tires and True 4WD. You just have to have that,its not a brand thing.</end quote></div>

So from my knowledge - Yami, Kawi, Zuki and I believe AC all have Locking Front Differentials meaning True 4x4 no questions - though on the Kawi - you STILL have to hold a lever...

Popo's have an AWD system that works quite good from what I have seen - though you don't get the Guarentee that you are in True 4x4 like with Yami, Kawi, Zuki and I believe AC.

Stay away from Can-Am's as their Visco-lok front diff doesn't cut the "Mud-Stard"

Also stay away from the 3WD Honda's [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-04-2008, 08:48 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On a Polaris if your rear tires slip a fraction of a turn, I believe it's 1/5 of a revolution, the front locks in. Polaris tried Visco-Lok on the Magnum RMK but I only saw one in my life. The On-Demand 4x4 really works so they never gave up on it. 4 years ago I went through a swamp/bog through Seney Wildlife Preserve on a trail that only had one small spot of dry land in 10 miles. The rest was muck, stumps, reeds, and cat-tails. My 2 friends with Grizzly 660s wouldn't even try it because they didn't have mud tires, but my 500 made it. Mostly. I only had to winch myself out twice in 10 miles which I thought was damned good. When you're on a stump with all 4 wheels off the ground it doesn't matter what brand you ride. All I had was 25" Goodyear MudRunners. Everything else on my quad was completely stock. That's the only time in 11 years of riding that I actually needed mud tires. Everything else I went through no problem with stock tires on my other 2 500s. If you aren't going through mile after mile of mud you might not need mud tires either, unless you have crappy half-bald tires like what's on the Grizzly. My old '97 Sportsman with 4,000 miles on it still had more tread on the <u>stock</u> tires than my friends' brand new Grizzlys.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:48 AM
Pro Rider

Hmm, best mudbogging quad stock, hard to say, any bike with a locker, IRS, low range will perform similar...mostly up to the rider and the type of mud. I would think Arctic Cat's because they have lots of ground clearance and plenty of wheel travel...but Sportsman's, Brutes, & Grizzly's all do well...if you are really into mudbogging or want to get into it, then a stock quad isn't going to cut it for EXTREME mud situations. Honda's don't have a locker, and the Rincon which is the only IRS Honda doesn't have low range...but if properly set up it can handle reasonable mud.

The Big Bear 400 with IRS and front locker is a very good tough reliable mud quad.

A Brute 650i/750i with a 2" lift, and 29.5" Outlaw tires would be a very good mud bike...also the Outlander's have a trailing arm rear suspension setup, which equals less drag in the mudbogs, right now they are dominating in mud racing...of course this is with big lifts huge tires and snorkels.

-Krait

Old 06-09-2008, 11:29 AM
dcc
Weekend Warrior

i have several friends who play in deep water and mud. most of them have the big bear 400. no problems to date. they really like the low gearing of the BB.

dcc

Quick Reply: Whats the best mud bogging atv