Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Whats the best mud bogging atv

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 02:07 AM
H20
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats the best mud bogging atv

A lot of argueing about true locker or not. Also about the weight of machines.
It really comes down to power and tires, the one with the best tires and the most power wins.
Can-ams visco-lok works well as does polarises AWD system.
When you hit a mud bog and pin it the bike with most power usually wins.
Visco-lok and AWD will not be surging in an out of 4 wheel drive when you pin it!!

Old 10-21-2008, 08:54 PM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: H20

A lot of argueing about true locker or not. Also about the weight of machines.

It really comes down to power and tires, the one with the best tires and the most power wins.

Can-ams visco-lok works well as does polarises AWD system.

When you hit a mud bog and pin it the bike with most power usually wins.

Visco-lok and AWD will not be surging in an out of 4 wheel drive when you pin it!!</end quote></div>

Power usually doesn't matter as much actually it's traction that matters.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:05 PM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: jumbofrank

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Destruction101

Polaris EFI Sportsmans are the only ones with good tires on them stock. 26" radials. It does a good job without a lift or anything.</end quote></div>

Actually the Grizzlys tires stock are pretty damn good dude. Might not be as good as Polaris though.

</end quote></div>

Out of the ATVs he named, Kawasaki, AC, KQ, Sportsman, I said that about Sportsmans. <u>It sounds different when you take it out of context.</u> I haven't seen a Grizzly 700 yet, so maybe the tires on them are good, but the stock tires on the 660 were horrible. They had about the same amount of tread new as Polaris tires with 10,000 miles of wear on them. [img][/img]</end quote></div>

http://www.atvriders.com/image...v-rear-suspension.jpg

http://www.off-roadweb.com/fea...zly_atv/photo_03.html

The front and rear tires lugs are about 3/4 an inch and they grab on the ground very well but wear out on the road fast. Dunno about the 660 but for a 700 branch new stock tires are pretty damn good even though I think Polaris has the best stock tires.

Old 10-22-2008, 01:46 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You're right, traction is what gets you through stuff most of the time, not power. The tread depth on the Grizzly 660 must have been half as much as the 700. Two of my friends with 660s were getting stuck in a mudhole that my heavier and less powerful Sportsman 500 went through with stock tires. After 4,000 miles I still had <u>way more</u> tread on my tires than they did brand new.

If you have good tires and ground clearance you can go through a lot of crap. Weight doesn't seem to matter most of the time. Some places more weight will dig into solid ground and get traction. Some places less weight will have more flotation. It's good or bad depending on where you are, but in my experience it rarely makes a big difference, until you have to pull it out.

Old 10-23-2008, 12:52 AM
Trailblazer

You're right, traction is what gets you through stuff most of the time, not power. The tread depth on the Grizzly 660 must have been half as much as the 700. Two of my friends with 660s were getting stuck in a mudhole that my heavier and less powerful Sportsman 500 went through with stock tires. After 4,000 miles I still had <u>way more</u> tread on my tires than they did brand new.

If you have good tires and ground clearance you can go through a lot of crap. Weight doesn't seem to matter most of the time. Some places more weight will dig into solid ground and get traction. Some places less weight will have more flotation. It's good or bad depending on where you are, but in my experience it rarely makes a big difference, until you have to pull it out.</end quote></div>

Well one thing that I noticed is the my Grizz 700 tires wear very fast when driving on the road. Besides the tires the route in the mud and the drivers experience can make a huge impact on weather or not the machine gets stuck.

Old 10-23-2008, 12:50 PM
Trailblazer
Default Whats the best mud bogging atv"></title><script src=

Any cheap quad. Mud ruins everything. The best mud bogger is your friends quad!! Haha just kidding [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img].

I would not go any less than 400cc and 4x4. I'm not too familiar with the 4x4's, but my LTR was not a fan when I took her in. Don't get a sport quad.

Old 10-30-2008, 12:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

LOL These brand debates always make me chuckle although I occassionally get into the fray myself . Ah hell why not again this time . LOL

My Big Bear 400 is the best stock mudder . IRS, factory standard ITP tires and front locker where I tell the machine what to do not the other way around . And true control is when you do the thinking .

It doesn't matter what machine it is they will all snag up at some point if your taking them into the thick stuff and the guy coming up your rear and passing you is likely taking a better line .

My ol 84 Yamaha 175 three wheeler will still go places at times where all the 4 wheelers get stuck because it only weighs 220 pounds and can ride in between all them deep ruts most of you make .LOL

I personally hate burying mine too often because it just causes damage and wrenching and doing tear downs after rides is not what I call fun but just makes me curse . LOL

Also as a potential buyer I would not even give a snorkelled and modded machine a second look thinking what they may have gone through although that new AC coming stock from the factory to perform in such conditions has merit .

Mind you in all honesty I'm not a true mudder like I know some of you are but I am known to get into it on occassion . LOL

TD

Old 08-03-2020, 10:34 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Ac hahahaha

you gotta be kidding AC is trash nobody drives em around here

Originally Posted by 650Mobrute