Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

whats the best atv for snow

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 03:18 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whats the best atv for snow

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: JeffinTD

Also, keep in mind what might be rideable in the morning might not be rideable after a few hours of afternoon sun, so take care not to get stranded.</end quote></div>

Sage advice. I found that out the hard way on a hunting trip once in my truck.

Oh it was easy going driving in but when it came time to get out that afternoon the temperature had climbed and the previous hard crust of snow and ice had turned a coating of wet snow over bottomless mud. A 10 minute drive in turned into several days of winching and digging, much of that in rain with the temperature hovering right at the freezing point. About as miserable of weather as you could imagine with hypothermia being a real and present danger.

I was never so glad to see a paved road (even if it was a gravel paved road) in my entire life.

Old 08-28-2008, 06:01 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Been there, done that too, except it was snow on top of more snow. After going maybe 30-40 miles I found myself sinking nearly 3 feet instead of just inches in snow that was no problem at all a couple hours earlier. Any ATV without tracks would be stuck no matter how light or heavy it was IMO. It just takes more effort to get unstuck when it weighs over 700 pounds. But the weight makes it great for plowing snow, and I even plowed the street after the worst blizzard in 100 years.

Old 08-28-2008, 01:08 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Only times I've needed to winch out were getting high centered. Floorboard sitting on a rock or crusty snow leaves the 4wd up in the air. I'd have to say a tracked quad is the best for snow.

Old 09-02-2008, 04:25 PM
Pro Rider

Snow travel comes down less on the machine and more on the tires you have and the conditions your experiencing. The stock dunlops on my Foreman were horrible in the snow, and the 27" blackwaters were also not that great as they had a tenancy to dig.

The 27" mud lite XTR's I have now are fantastic in the snow, and having a good full bottom skid plate helps alot because it slides along the snow rather then the frame catching it.

Now snow conditions come into play. If your looking at travelling in average 10" of snow or less then a heavy bike is great because is will eat down through the snow to find traction. Once the snowcover reaches 18" or more then your going to want flotation to stay on top of it. Weight is your enemy, so light weight and wide aired down tires are your freind. For this kind of travel you do not need power, and what power you do have needs to be applied smoothly to prevent digging in.

If your looking at buying a track kit then I'd recommend a bike 500cc or larger to turn them with relative ease in most conditions.

I have a snowmobile for snow as it is alot more fun, and we have alot of snow each winter, but occasionally I'll still get the bike out for a run, especially if we're going in ice fishing or something.

Old 09-03-2008, 12:49 AM
Pro Rider

http://s126.photobucket.com/al...n=view&current=113.flv snow is fun

Old 09-04-2008, 03:08 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Full bottom skid plate I think is a good idea. Less friction than the factory plastic that often has ridges and holes everywhere.

Also IRS I think it a big advantage, not dragging the rear differential...

Old 09-04-2008, 03:34 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: JeffinTD

Full bottom skid plate I think is a good idea. Less friction than the factory plastic that often has ridges and holes everywhere.

Also IRS I think it a big advantage, not dragging the rear differential...</end quote></div> Add HP and light weight just like a snowmachine.Best I have seen in the snow is a Can Am 800 gade.