Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Which 4x4 for me?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2008 | 03:38 AM
|
Trailblazer
Default Which 4x4 for me?

Went to the toy store today to check out a new 4x4. Currently, I've got a Raptor 660 that I'm thinking of selling to finance part of my new purchase. Looking at a utility machine, I was in the dark. So I've come here for some advice.

My needs:
I cut firewood and need something to haul saws & equipment, plus be able to pull a small trailer around in the woods loaded. (this is my main reason for getting the utility quad)

I may use it in the winter for plowing snow, but I do have a garden tractor with a blade that can handle that for now.

A little playing in the mud, running trails, and blazing through the fields never hurt anyone.

Salesmen at the dealer suggested I go with a 400cc or up with a solid rear axle. He really didnt say whether I should go with a manual gearbox or a auto type trans. He pointed me towards a Suzuki Eiger 400, then a Foreman 500 (not Rubicon) caught my eye. After some talking and looking around, I left there thinking the Foreman is my machine. Then, after doing some research, the Foremans are regarded as being underpowered/sluggish and sacrificing the 'fun' factor to be a great workhorse, but very dependable (duh! Its a Honda). If I'm going to sell my Raptor, I'm going to want something that can deliver some sporty-ness.

So, I did some looking around on other brands. The Kawasaki Brute Force 650 has really gotten my attention. BF's have the auto trans, and they give you a choice of IRS or SRA.

Right now, I'm leaning towards the Kaw, but something about a Honda I hate to turn down.

What do you all think? Should I go with an auto trans or manual gearbox for pulling the weight around? IRS vs. SRA? Foreman vs Brute Force?

Old 11-27-2008 | 08:30 AM
Moto Psycho

Because of the arthritis in my neck and spine I can only ride IRS. There's so much difference in the ride you have to try it yourself to believe it. People who have SRAs say that an IRS machines can't tow or haul as much, and people with pedal-shifters say you you can't tow or haul as much with an automatic. But you can tow a pickup truck with a IRS automatic. That's good enough for me, and I won't buy anything else.

Most people just reccomend whatever they have and the forums tend to be very biased. You really need to talk to people you know and trust who have experience with all different kinds of ATVs. I personally like 500 class machines. They have a great combination of power and fuel economy. If you get a Honda you should probably get a 680 to have about the same kind of power as the other brands 500s. All the big brands are good but some are better at certain things. Check the manufacturers websites to get the specs then go look at them in person. Good luck with whatever you decide on.

Old 11-27-2008 | 10:49 AM
Range Rover

If you are playing in very deep/sticky mud, I'd avoid honda, b/c I've heard only bad things about their "4 wheel drive" system. I've never owned a 4x4, but do whatever feels right to you.

Old 11-27-2008 | 01:22 PM
Pro Rider

I suggest checking out a Polaris and a Can-Am. The Brute Force 650 is still carburated (I THINK) and with a v-twin, it might suck down a lot of gasoline. This I am not positive about but it's possible. Other than that, I think the Brute is a great machine. In my opinion, I think you should decide between a Brute Force with IRS, Polaris Sportsman IRS, or a Can-Am Outlander with IRS.They are all great machines, all automatic, and more than able to do what you want to do with them. Check out some youtube videos about them. They might give you a good idea of what each one is able to do.

Old 11-27-2008 | 07:33 PM
Moto Psycho

For what it's worth, here's a muddin' video of a 2009 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 vs. Can Am Outlander 800R. The Can-Am is the one that's still near the starting line when the Polaris crosses the finish line. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zqb6U1-msZE

P.S. When it comes to power nothing beats the XP 850, not even the ThunderCat 1000.

Old 11-27-2008 | 08:58 PM
|
Trailblazer

Are the Outlanders brakes controlled with a single lever like the Polaris? I've ridden Polaris' before and couldnt stand that 'feature'. I guess it doesnt really matter, they're both over my price range. I can pick up the 08 Foreman w/ power steering at my dealer for $6200. I really dont want to pay $8000 for a damn quad.

Any mud I get in around here, isnt going to be too much to handle for most 4x4's. A 800cc machine would be overkill IMO. I want something with some sportness, but great at work also.

Maybe I'll just go for the Foreman, keep the Rappy and live happily ever after...

Old 11-27-2008 | 10:44 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: RAPTORJUNKIE

Maybe I'll just go for the Foreman, keep the Rappy and live happily ever after...</end quote></div>

Given that option, that's what I would do! I am fortunate enought to have both a preddy 500 and sportsman 800. It is nice to pick the ride for the mood I'm in or the terrain I'm up against. Although, the renegade 800r certainly has caught my eye!!!

Old 11-28-2008 | 07:31 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I have a 500 Foreman, and have a blast with it on the trails. It is true they aren't powerful for a 500, especially on the top end, but that is probably part of why they are known to rack up tons of miles. If you get one, though, I'd go foot shift unless you really want the electric push buttons. I'd also skip the GPS as it is pretty primitive and you'd be better off getting a good hand held and bar mount.

The Rubicon would also be worth considering if you prefer an automatic. It is a hydrostatic auto that really works well at high torque/low speed tasks like dragging or towing. It can emulate a 5 speed and let you select between ratios with up and down buttons.

As far as SRA vs IRS, IRS rides better over rough stuff and usually has better ground clearance. SRA however feels more planted, power slides around corners easier, and won't squat under hitch weight of a trailer (becauase the hitch usually attaches to the axle).

A buddy's AC650 has adjustable preload, though, so you could set the back suspension on stiff, and likely avoid sagging under a hitch.

The Brute (or any other twin) will be much more powerful than either the Foreman or Rubicon. They are known to be solid machines.

I'd also suggest looking at the big Griz before you decide. They have a good belt drive system and are known for reliability.

Old 11-28-2008 | 07:48 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Well after tons of reserch and not realy not caring which brand of ATV I bough I went with the Grizz 700 and so far all I can say is WOW! Ya you can find a faster bikes, Ya you can find better handling bikes and Ya you can find one that hauls more but IMO you wont find a more complete machine than the Grizz! The Sporstman XP caught my eye but beeing in the auto industry I know not to buy anything new mabey by the time I am ready to buy again in 5 years LOL I will take another look at a Sportsman!

Old 11-28-2008 | 08:03 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I think you made a wise choice. Enjoy the new machine.