Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

wire rope vs synthetic

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 09:11 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wire rope vs synthetic

I would like to know your opinion on the pros and cons of wire rope and synthetic rope . I'm looking for some input before I buy a winch . Polaris vs Warn . Wire vs synthetic .
Thanks
Tim

Old 01-21-2009, 09:20 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

First welcome to the forum second as far as the winch goes you get what you pay for. There are multiple threads on here about Polaris brand (not to be confused with Warns with Polaris name on them) and other aftermarket brand winches going bad or having problems IMHO stick with Warn or Ramsey and you will be good to go!

As far as cable or rope I just bout a Warn XT2.5 with synthatic rope on and love it so much lighter, easy'r to use than cable, no frays to cut you, it is just plain and simply the way to go!

Old 01-21-2009, 11:52 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I have a 2.5 wire cable winch on the Foreman, and an XT30 with synthetic on the Rincon.

The synthetic is lighter, doesn't rust, doesn't kind of rat nest as bad, it doesn't get hand-slicing stray strands, and I suspect if it were to break it wouldn't fly back with rip-your-head-off force.

I've heard a few people have broken the synthetic, but I haven't, and people break the steel, too.

The one disadvantage of the synthetic is that it has to be kept away from rough edges. The warn ones come with a nylon sleeve on the line, that just reels in with the line. When needed you can slide it over the line to protect it when the cable line has to break over jagged rocks or whatever.

Also, you want to prevent the steel hook from smashing into the rollers hard enough to ding them up. Do the 1/2 boat trailer roller thing.

Lastly, the wireless remote on the XT30 is super sweet. It saves a trip slogging through snow or mud back and forth to the ancor point every time you use it.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:31 AM
Weekend Warrior

i had a steel one and then i got a synthetic one and the synthetic one is nice its a 4500 pound one on my razor and i will never go back to a steel one

Old 01-22-2009, 10:10 AM
Weekend Warrior

Ok synthetic it is. Does Warn make winches for Polaris? I heard they are chinese. On the other hand , my Polaris dealer says that if I buy Polaris' winch and have trouble with it that he can replace it over the counter where if I have a Warn winch it will need to be shiped back to Warn for service. Not to mention I haven't found a Warn dealer in my area. I know you will say just order it online , but then we are back to the shippng thing.
Thanks for the welcome
Tim

Old 01-22-2009, 03:31 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stick with the warn. Avoid polaris' crappy warn poser! You won't be sorry! Put it this way, it is very likely you won't have to ship the warn back for repairs, but you WILL likely have to take advantage of swapping out the polaris junk. Think about how often you will have to remove and replace your winch!!! LOL!!!!

Old 01-23-2009, 08:58 AM
Weekend Warrior

How does the synthetic stand up to the pounding of a plow?
I break the metal cable once a year plowing.
Will the synthetic stand up better??

Old 01-23-2009, 09:01 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

It's supposed to tolerate getting repeatedly bent sharply in the same spot more than steel, but I wonder if it might still be a good idea to use one of those extension things.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:16 AM
Weekend Warrior

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: JeffinTD

It's supposed to tolerate getting repeatedly bent sharply in the same spot more than steel, but I wonder if it might still be a good idea to use one of those extension things.</end quote></div>

extention things? Ok , one last question , Is there any online ATV parts places you prefer or any to steer clear of? I guess i will order online with your recommendations. Warn 2.5 or 3.0 with synthetic rope.

Old 01-23-2009, 12:46 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Rockymountainatv.com is probobly the most prefered supplier of atv parts of any websight. Most of the riders here buy from there as they have the best customer service hands down!

Quick Reply: wire rope vs synthetic