Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Flat Proof Tires and Wheels, Tire & Wheel Combos, Your Thoughts???

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 08:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flat Proof Tires and Wheels, Tire & Wheel Combos, Your Thoughts???

I would suggest carrying a kit with pump and a tube of slime. Or just slime them all from the get go. About runflats, I honestly haven't heard anything good about them; because, as someone else mentioned, you have to replace once you stop "running". Fix a flat is ok in a pinch, but can throw off your balance pretty easily if it sits. Some people will tell you that slime will corrode your rims, but that simply isn't true with the formula used now (it may have been different years back). Heavy tread and 6-ply will definitely be beneficial.

BTW Mr. Firewood, I was hauling firewood this past summer and using a Ranger. Running all over sharp rocks and pretty significant slash. Before sliming I had a flat every couple weeks (4-ply tires). After putting slime in all 4 tires (18 oz in each, they recommend 24 oz), I only had 1 flat, and that was running directly over a 2" slash spear.... Hope this helps.

Yes, if its cheap from a geek, check every think!

Old 02-02-2009, 08:11 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get some Goodyear EMTs with Run-Flat Technology and quit worrying. I saw where these guys used a hole saw to put a 2" hole in the sidewall and it was still driveable.

Old 02-03-2009, 04:07 AM
Weekend Warrior

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Olorin

I would suggest carrying a kit with pump and a tube of slime. Or just slime them all from the get go. About runflats, I honestly haven't heard anything good about them; because, as someone else mentioned, you have to replace once you stop "running". Fix a flat is ok in a pinch, but can throw off your balance pretty easily if it sits. Some people will tell you that slime will corrode your rims, but that simply isn't true with the formula used now (it may have been different years back). Heavy tread and 6-ply will definitely be beneficial.

BTW Mr. Firewood, I was hauling firewood this past summer and using a Ranger. Running all over sharp rocks and pretty significant slash. Before sliming I had a flat every couple weeks (4-ply tires). After putting slime in all 4 tires (18 oz in each, they recommend 24 oz), I only had 1 flat, and that was running directly over a 2" slash spear.... Hope this helps.

Yes, if its cheap from a geek, check every think!</end quote></div>

Old 02-03-2009, 04:23 AM
Weekend Warrior

I am known as Mr Firewood, but that is transported in 40 Yard Roll Off Trucks, or my F-450 Super Duty, the Quad is a Ag Implemint or a cruze in the hills...

Although I do own a 1952 DU-5U Caterpiller Tractor, of which would be perfect for Skidding 40' Log's through the Forest...

I have been a Mr Firewood for the past 25 years and we process in the area of 2,000 cords of Firewood per year...

I am quite happy to say that I am just a very small opperation, and not wishing to become any larger...

I run my Splitters on 100% H2, so my opperational cost is always the same...

H2 will run our Quads as well, but that is a whole other topic...

Thanks for your input, Have a nice Day!!!