Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Buyers Guide for new UTV - Yamaha, Kawasaki, Polaris????

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 07:59 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buyers Guide for new UTV - Yamaha, Kawasaki, Polaris????

Uncle Sam is being very nice to me and sending me a tax refund. I have 230 acres to ride on our tree far and the wife and 3 year old like to ride as well. I don't like riding double on my Kawasaki 360 so I am selling it and looking to buy a UTV.

I test drove the Yamaha 450 and 700 FI last week. I really like the fuel injection, but I wish it had a bench seat.

Looking to try out a Polaris and Kawasaki this week. I have had a Polaris 2001 ATV in the past and they seem to always have these little maintenance issues and would have to go to the dealer several time a year.

So my question is I am looking at Rhino, Kawasaki and Polaris UTV's

What are the good, Bad, Ugly on 2007 - 2009 models?????

Old 03-22-2009, 01:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

Anyone

Old 03-22-2009, 05:53 PM
Pro Rider

You are really looking at two different classes of UTV's. The Polaris Ranger and Kawasaki Mule is more geared towards the utilitarian aspect while the Rhino is more of a hybrid with the ability to do a certain amount of work while also having the added sporting capabilities.

I own two Mules a 500 and a 550 and they have caused absolutely no problems, but when it came time to look for something bigger, I went with a Rhino after looking at everything that is available. While you may prefer the bench seat, I find them very uncomfortable and no where near as secure as the buckets in my Rhino. If you need more passenger carrying ability, you can get seats from Cabela's or elsewhere to put in the bed.

The Mules and Rangers will only go about twenty-five to thirty mph while the Rhino will run 42, or at least they were restricted to that when I bought my Rhino.

You need to consider what you intend to do with your UTV/RUV before making a decision as they are all good quality, dependable machines. You may also want to look at the TeryX and Arctic Cat Prowler or Kubota.

For more information, you may want to go to: Rhino Forums.net and visit the other forums listed at the bottom of the page and pose this question as I have often seen such an inquiry there and a lot of good information was provided.

Good luck.

Old 03-24-2009, 05:19 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Actually the Ranger RZR tops out at 55, not 25 or 30. And it's the only UTV that's legal on ATV trails in states like mine that have a 50" maximum width.

Old 03-24-2009, 05:46 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: jumbofrank

Actually the Ranger RZR tops out at 55, not 25 or 30. And it's the only UTV that's legal on ATV trails in states like mine that have a 50" maximum width.</end quote></div>

Yes and the TeryX is faster also, but since he mentioned wanting a bench seat, I was addressing the Ranger and Mule as they are the only ones I know so equipped.

He also indicated he would be riding on his own property and did not mention public trails, so I did not take that into consideration. I have never ridden on public trails, so it is not an issue with me either.

I apparently read more into his post than was there and "assumed" to much and you know what they say about that.

Old 03-25-2009, 12:48 AM
Pro Rider

If you're looking for a pure sport riding machine you really can't go wrong with a razr. If you're looking for a sport utility I'd say the rhino is the best match. If you're looking for utility with trail capability the new Ranger XP or HD would be pretty hard to beat.

Old 03-25-2009, 06:39 PM
'5 minutes worth of planning equals 30 minutes of execution'

Ranger XD. It is quick, sporty and ca cary three comfortably. Very capable off road. Great bed for hauling.

Old 04-10-2009, 10:18 PM
Pro Rider

I have read on this site of numerous people that love their Polaris equipment, but I have been around quite a few quads in my day and more often than not they are not as dependable as the Japanese brands. I wish it were not that way as I am in favor of buying American but not at the risk/expense of having less dependability than the others that have proven reliability. I can tell that Polaris has improved their quality a great deal but I don't think they are on par with the others yet.

Old 04-13-2009, 10:42 AM
Pro Rider

If your looking at just utility, don't forget about the new Honda UTV. They look like real work horses with Honda reliability!! I only mention it because the original post mentioned reliability. You can't beat a Honda for that!!!