Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Suzuki King Quad 300

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-1999, 08:30 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently purchased a Suzuki King Quad 300. It was priced similarly to a Honda Four Track, but it has more features. It can switch from 2 wheel to 4 wheel drive, has three gear ranges, and a differential option. It is the first 4X4 I have had, and it is amazing. I just got back from riding some of the steepest, slipperiest, muddy, rocky, rutted slopes I have ever seen, and I was able to climb them all! They were so slick that I couldn't even walk on them without falling! What a blast!

Old 09-28-1999, 12:47 AM
Range Rover

I have the 1996 King Quad.

Have made some modifications to improve the use.

1) removed the locking pin to allow differential lock in any range

2) modified the starting circuit to enable me to start it in gear

And a couple of others for fun. If you are interested drop me a line and I can send you the information.

------------------
Eric Baatz 1996 Suzuki KING QUAD Remember the KING Lives!!

Old 10-06-1999, 10:53 PM
Pro Rider

Okay, I love my King Quad.

Now, I have ridden it over terrain I never would have dreamed possible. I mean some really, really nasty stuff! I also own two Kawasakis, a 97 220 Bayou (for my wife and daughter) and a 97 Lakota. I was planning on buying a new 300 Bayou 4X4, until I found out how Kawasaki rips off its customers. I needed a new rear shock for the Lakota, or so said the local Kawasaki dealer. It couldn't be rebuilt, because Kawasaki started welding them solid ten years ago. Kawasaki charges $690.10 for the shock! That's right, $690.10 for one stock shock! It is an adjustable gas shock built by KYB (Kawasaki) not much different from any other, except it can not be rebuilt. On top of that, the Kawasaki dealer wanted $100 to put the new shock on! Basically, it just takes two bolts to install a shock! I got the message that Kawasaki customers were suckers, or at least Kawasaki thought so.

So, I checked out the local Suzuki dealer. They also had Arctic Cats. I liked them both, but the King Quad just seemed right for me. I bought one, and as I say I have loved it.

Well, I crashed it Sunday. And, I mean I CRASHED it! I flipped it on a super steep incline. It flipped over. I was tossed off and tumbled and rolled back down the hill for 75 feet or so. The Suzuki, all 700+ pounds of it, bounced over me and rolled about 150 feet until it hit a tree and came to a stop. Uh, oh! It didn't look too good!! My, oh my! The left A arm was torn up, the front rack and left mud guards were destroyed, and the frame got bent (as well as the pedal and shifter). The plastic was bent, too, but after I took the racks off, it regained its shape, pretty much. Somehow, I escaped with scratches, bruises, and abrasions, but nothing serious.

Well, this post isn't about how I did a stupid thing and crashed a wonderful machine (although I did). It is about the difference between Suzuki and Kawaski. After the crash, I drove the Suzuki off the trail and back to my truck, about five miles! Maybe a Kawasaki would have done that, but I doubt it. But, a real big difference showed up when it came to costs of repairs.

The Suzuki Dealer priced all of the replacement parts at a total of $639.33, so long as the frame doesn't have to be replaced. That is over $50 less than Kawasaki wanted for a single, non-rebuildable shock absorber for their Lakota. As I said before, Kawasaki wanted $690.10 for one shock, which is 1/6 of the price for a whole new Lakota! It is also about $420.00 more than the cost of an entire set of four adjustable, gas KYB shocks for one of those big, heavy RVs! Until Suzuki starts gouging its customers like Kawasaki, I plan on sticking with it.

It looks like it will be a couple of weeks until I get my King Quad back on the trails, but I'm looking forwards to it. I sure am glad I wasn't riding or wrecking a Kawasaki!

Oh, by the way, if you are interested in reading my thoughts about the overpricing tactics of Kawasaki, read the topic under Kawasaki entitled, "We are being ripped off!" I don't expect to see a similar topic under Suzuki.

[This message has been edited by kclayd (edited 10-06-1999).]

[This message has been edited by kclayd (edited 10-07-1999).]

[This message has been edited by kclayd (edited 10-07-1999).]

Old 10-07-1999, 01:34 PM
Range Rover

I am really sorry to hear that you crashed.

I did notice that you said you were going up a really steep incline. Please note that due to the design of the King it is light in the front end compared to most 4x4 quads

I know you are thinking that how can a 4x4 be light in the front. You have to think of it in a ratio. Due to the engine being so far back in the frame( since the drive shafts come out at right angles tothe transmission) there is more weight to the rear then the front.

There is weight to the front and if you ever tried to jump it you would see that easily. but again this issue concerns the ratio of weight front to rear.

Sorry if I did not explain it real well. However I hope this helps.

Looking forward to seeing how the repairs go.

------------------
Eric Baatz 1996 Suzuki KING QUAD Remember the KING Lives!!

Old 10-07-1999, 10:35 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

kclayd, I'm glad you were not seriously injured; you may have received a wake-up conference call for us all.

When I read your initial post on this topic, I thought; watch out! Yet experience appears by far the most effective teacher in this school, speaking as a pupil myself.

For example, the Kawasaki owner's manual says, "Some hills are too steep. Use common sense."

Did I then use common sense? No! I had to watch my quad perform a backwards double (actually, quadruple, quintriple, a lot!) somersault with a half-twist a couple of times before I truly embraced and understood the message the manual writer intended.

Best wishes for future safe riding; Eric Baatz proved to me the King Quad is a capable machine; take its characteristics into account and you'll enjoy many pleasant miles on it.

Tree Farmer

Old 10-07-1999, 11:55 PM
Range Rover

Glad to hear you weren't seriously hurt. Quads and parts are replaceable!

Old 10-10-1999, 08:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

Wonder if you where mis-quoted on that shock as that is almost too steep to believe.

Old 10-11-1999, 07:45 PM
Pro Rider

No, Howard:

I know its too high to believe. I thought it must be some sort of typo. I got quotes from dealers all across the country over the internet. The best deal I could come up with was $540.00 from Midwest Action Cycle. Almost all the others were $690.10. I even e-mailed Kawasaki, but their reply letter was basically one that said, if they can get, they will charge it. Well, they won't get it from me, anymore.

I really like my Suzuki King Quad and have no inclination to switch brands again.

Old 10-17-1999, 01:54 PM
Pro Rider

Its back! The dealer called and said my King Quad is repaired! I am so happy. I haven't seen it yet. I'm sort of afraid to. Maybe, my formerly beautiful King Quad now looks like FrankenQuad! Well, no matter. True love is more than skin deep. Soon, we will be reunited!

Old 10-17-1999, 11:19 PM
Range Rover

Whatever the shape, it's got to be better than a disassembled Lakota.

Quick Reply: Suzuki King Quad 300