Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Winch Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2000, 03:33 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate the "turn" switch mounted to my front rack that comes as standard with my new Warn A2000. In conversation with Warn they tell me that for $175.00 I can upgrade my A2000 to an A2500, which gets me their remote, handlebar mounted switch. I don't want an A2500, I want a handlebar mounted switch. The one Cabela's sells will not work with anything but Superwinch, as the Warn draws too many amps for it. Anyone know of an aftermarket handlebar mounted switch that will work, or any other ideas?

[This message has been edited by MissouriGriz (edited 01-25-2000).]

Old 01-25-2000, 03:45 PM
Pro Rider

TREE FARMER has a source.

Old 01-25-2000, 05:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The SuperWinch handlebar-mounted rocker switch is good for the 118 amps of their ATV2000 at full pull, but not rated for the 145 amps of the Warn A2000 at the same stress.

SuperWinch's handheld remote switch and solenoid kit, part # 1515A, will handle up to 267 amps; I don't know how it compares in price to Warn's A2500 upgrade.

The SuperWinch solenoid assembly's weight and size requires a sturdy perch and considerable room for mounting, factors to consider if you contemplate going this route.

Tree Farmer

Old 01-25-2000, 07:50 PM
Trailblazer

I took off the warning label on my left fender and installed my switch in it's place. Spiral wrap from Radio Shack kept the wires in their place. I also installed a DC on/off switch from Radio Shack next to it so my winch solenoid is only on when I want to use it rather than being energized every time I turn the key.

Old 01-25-2000, 08:01 PM
Trailblazer

I like the idea of another switch between the winch and the power source as on the second day of owning my new fourwheeler a friend said, "What's this do?" and turned the switch, spooling the already tight cable even tighter and "tweaking" my front bumper that I had the winch hook hanging on. However, I have already considered moving the switch I have to a handier location, but what I really want is a switch I can access without taking a hand off of the handlebars.

Old 01-25-2000, 10:30 PM
Trailblazer

missourigiz What do you mean by an upgrade to your warn2000a? Do you mean you can give them your 2000 and get an 2500 for 175.00$ Let me know cause I need all the power I can get to drag my 500 sportsman out of the mud.

Old 01-25-2000, 10:37 PM
Trailblazer

No, what I mean is for $175.00 you get a kit that consists mostly of nuts, bolts, washers, and heavier wire, along with the handlebar mounted remote switch. The specs for the A2000 and the A2500 are identical as far as physical size, gear ratio, line speed, etc. Basically it is the same winch, but the heavier wire allows it to pull harder. I can't see that it's worth $175.00.

Old 01-26-2000, 04:54 PM
Trailblazer

I think all you really need is the solenoid from the A2500.it looks like this is a special solenoid that has the ability to reverse the polarity of the power out terminals,allowing you to run small guage wires to any 2 position switch of your choice.of course you'll need more 8 gauge wire & terminals if your present switch is mounted in a different spot than where your solenoid will be.also,i found a trick little push off/push on switch that i use to control the ground of my A2000 solenoid so the winch wont operate whenever the key is on.if anyone is interested, i'll dig up the part#.i'm thinking of upgrading to the new solenoid but i havent yet found 2 position momentary switch that i would like to mount to my handlebars.that switch from the electric shift conversion kit looks like it would be perfect,but i'm afraid to find out how much that would cost.

Old 01-26-2000, 08:36 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From reading the posts, some ambiguity and confusion exists regarding winch wiring and "solenoids."

The Warn A2000 and SuperWinch ATV 2000 and T1500 winches use manual double-pole-double-throw (DPDT) (reversing) switches to power the winches and control their direction of rotation. All the winch power flows through these manual control switches.

The Warn A2500 uses a double-pole-double-throw (DPDT) solenoid, instead of a manual switch, to power the winch and control the direction of rotation. The DPDT solenoid relay is contolled by a low-current remote switch.

As the topic initiator mentioned above, the "upgrade" kit (Part # 34708) for the Warn winch costs $ 175; the SuperWinch remote switch and solenoid kit (Part # 1515A) costs around $ 100, I believe.

The "other" solenoid? Warn uses an in-line single-pole-single-throw (SPST) solenoid between the battery and the manual control switch of the A2000; the control switch can't operate the winch unless this solenoid relay is closed (e.g., by connection to the ignition switch). SuperWinch uses a thermal circuit breaker instead of a solenoid between the control switch and the battery, for overload/short circuit protection.

Larger winches from all manufacturers use solenoid power/control systems instead of DPDT switches.

Tree Farmer

Old 01-26-2000, 09:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

any dealer that deals with "parts unlimited" can get you a handlebar mount for your switch

Quick Reply: Winch Upgrade