Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Looking for a first utility quad, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 12:32 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a first utility quad, need advice

Ok so my wife and I have decided to get a quad (or maybe 2 eventually) mostly just for trail riding. I've rode atvs before, but never paid attention to what they were. I will be looking for a good cheap used quad to start with and so I know I probably won't be able to be picky about what make and model, but what size should I look for? I'm only 5'3" 140 and my wife is about the same size. I want to get one that will (for now) be able to take us both up trails. Probably not anything to difficult until we're more comfortable. Suggestions? What should I look for other then size?

Old 07-15-2011, 10:12 PM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

Anything 400cc will get you around probably just as easy as the bigger bikes,just a little slower. An independent rear suspension (IRS) atv will be most comfy. Atvs now days offer all kinds of options and some are selling points to buyers like,ground clearance,Electronic fuel injection(EFI)rack capacity,fuel tank capacity,width, height,2wd with select-able 4wd and some with a front locker which locks all 4 wheels,ease of maintenance,automatic or manual(without a clutch),solid rear axle or IRS,the list goes on.

Then you get into the 2wd sport bikes, again 400cc and up are good to ride. Of course,the wife most likely wont be as comfy on these as she would on a utility(we call them farm tractors). And you both sure to get muddy!!! good luck.

Old 07-16-2011, 04:12 PM
Pro Rider

Consider this (I know I may get some flack)
A utility built for one is not a stable platform with a passenger.
The placement of the axle (being too far forward) can cause issues because of the passenger is sitting on or behind the axle.

Another thing to consider, If you don't have private land to ride on most if not all ATV parks will not allow you to ride double on a machine built for one due to liability issues.

Good and cheap are not 2 words that go together most of the time.
Pay a little more and go over every thing before you buy. Take someone who knows there way around a bike to get a solid feel for the machine. Grab the tire and give it a shake to check the tie rod ends / tip it on its back and look at the underside / see if the seller kept track of oil changes ect / Also when you get the bike regardless of what the seller said switch out all the fluids, put a spark plug in it, and clean the air filter or replace it with a good foam After Market variety if it has a paper filter.

If you want to ride double at least consider a machine built for 2
they are out there and at a decent price. I picked the can am at random on a search, Polaris also makes a nice 2 up.

Example ************************************************
2007 Can-Am Outlander Max 650 $4900 obo *********only...
Rexburg 83460, ID, United States - 1 month ago, on craigslist.org
FOR SALE $4,900 2007 50CC - This is a used 2007 Can-Am Outlander Max 650. It's in great running condition with only 50 hours on the original engine! It has plenty of power and is loads of fun to ride for two! It's powered by a liquid-cooled 650cc Rotax engine (4-stroke, V-twin, 8-valve sohc) with electronic fuel injection ...

I don't want to scare you but this sport has costs beyond the bike and your helmet. Invest in a good bike follow the maint sced and be ready to turn a wrench.
When I say cost I mean your time for the most part since fluids are fairly inexpensive.
If the bike you purchase doesn't have a manual get one online because it will walk you through some of the basic maint and give you specific measurements for fluids that you will most likely need to change.

This is a fun sport and I am glad you are considering it for you and your wife.
FYI I agree with Mudslinginfool 400cc's will pull your butt around but you will have more fun with 650.

Old 07-16-2011, 09:44 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or consider getting two smaller utilities. Used Honda Recons or Suzuki Ozarks can be had in good condition for $2,000 each. These are both top of the line 250cc 2wd utilities. They make excellent starter ATV's and are about 7/8ths full size - about 400 pounds each. Since you are both on the smaller side they will serve you well for everything except any 4wd needs. With their lighter weight, my son has often taken our Ozark through places that require those of us on big 4wd bikes to use 4wd.

Another advantage is that as long as you maintain them, you can sell them for close to what you paid. This way you can have minimal investment up front so you will not take a hit if you decide that you need a larger bike with more options. Also, it's a lot more fun to drive vs being a passenger. If your wife spends all day hanging on to the back of your ATV as a passenger, she may lot like ATVing too much. OTOH, let her drive her own ride, and she could develop into a regular riding buddy.

Old 07-17-2011, 06:51 AM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to agree with jay.....the Recon/Ozark quads are fantastic, light, easy to steer, good splash protection with fenders, fairly quick and handle twisty trail rides with ease. I had one for my son for a couple years, I loved riding it,so light and easy to handle on trails and around the yard, and really good on gas for long rides.

Old 07-17-2011, 12:43 PM
Trailblazer
Location: trx 90, 2010 honda fouurtrax es recon 250, 2011 honda efi es rancher 420

A HONDA RANCHER 420 (if this try to get the electric shift program) OR A KAWASAKI prarie 360 (the 4x4 would be good) would do pretty good for your size anything smaller isnt good for trail riding, anything biger is to big for your weight, the suspension would do good for you.

Old 07-17-2011, 01:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

Couldn't disagree more!
A Yamaha Grizzly 550 with power steering would be an awesome choice! Not too big, not too small, easy to operate, priced really competitively, front and rear disc brakes, True 4 wheel diff lock, EFI, great ground clearance, independent suspension...
I could go on and on!

Personally, I wouldn't own a Utility Quad without Diff lock, power steering, and EFI. And no, you are not too small for one!!!

Old 07-19-2011, 04:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

I previously owned an 07 Outlander 650 XT that my wife and I rode together, as it is legal here. We recently sold it and upgraded to a 12 Outlander MAX 650 XT, and I would never go back. She doesn't like to drive herself that much so we went with a 2-up. It rides so well I honestly can't even tell she's back there. Also after now having power steering I can say 1000% that I would never go back to normal steering. The 2-up offers more leg room for you both and a longer wheelbase, keeping the passenger in front of the rear axle for better handling. Can-Am invented the 2-up, and in my opinion they have perfected it. I have driven and rode both Arctic Cat and Polaris' 2-up ATVs and they are no comparison. The Arctic Cat sacrifices ground clearance and ride quality in their 2-up (although none of their ATVS are particularily comfortable to drive), and Polaris has poor passenger characteristics, again, my opinion. I have over 10 years of experience with quads, and have ridden nearly every model from every make, and until there is something better, I will continue to back Can-Am for doing it right. Find yourself a nice 400 or 500 Outlander MAX XT, and if you can go without power steering you can get an older one and save yourself some money. It would be not only a good "starting" quad, but a great quad down the road too.