Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Who uses there machine for a multitude of tasks, and what!

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2001, 04:58 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wondering out there who works there machine. I use mine for everything and i'm really impressed on what these machines can do. I pull logs with mine, pull trailers, ride recreation and use it to go camping loading it up with camping gear for 2 and sometimes 3. It is a beast, I ride a 2000 Grizzly and it's lived up to the yamaha name of toughness that's for sure. I've only changed the front breaks after 3700km's.
Who else uses there machine for numerous tasks, besides just riding.
2000 Grizz
3800 km's and not a problem.

Old 11-01-2001, 05:57 AM
Trailblazer

I use my grizzly for deer scouting. I attached a 3point hitch and put in a food plot with the implements. I use it to haul wood and logs. Transport my deer stands. Started forging new trails on our land. It goes places I could not walk! Right thru the sticker bushes no problem. It has saved me so much time and effort I can't believe I didn't buy one years ago! And it's a blast just to ride thru the woods.

Old 11-02-2001, 11:31 PM
Trailblazer

I bought an old 350L Polaris about a year ago. It came with a 48" Cycle Country snowplow with a manual lift. I did a fair amount of snowplowing with it last winter, and it worked great. During the spring and summer I used it to just go riding the mountain trails, and for getting into some more remote lakes for fishing. This fall I took it up into the mountains for blue-grouse hunting and to go scouting for deer. Next weekend I am leaving to go elk hunting for a week. Elk hunting is the primary reason I got a ATV in the first place, as you can get places on an ATV that are open to ATV travel but not open to vehicle travel. 2 years ago we got 4 elk up in a mountain meadow, problem was that the main road was about 500 ft above us. We would still be dragging those elk up that hill if it were not for my brothers 400 xplorer and his ATV trailer. We loaded up 2 elk at a time into his kimpex trailer and he pulled them up the mountain to the pickup. A job that would literally have taken several days was accomplished in about a hour. This sold me on ATV's forever.

1993 350L
green primary spring
HotSeat Performance pipe
K&N filter
V-force delta 2 reeds
2500 Warn winch
Custom built rear cargo box (lockable) with power outlet and light.

Old 11-06-2001, 02:14 AM
Pro Rider

Hunting-specifically elk hunting, but deer as well, was the main reason I bought my 'Cat. As most know by now, I do a TON of log towing-skidding actually, but have since built (modified) a boat trailer for easier towing over stumps and such (trailer has nearly 24" ground clearance). I have a log furniture business, in which I hand select timber, use the 'Cat for hauling logs back to the truck, then use a draw knife to strip and hand carve each log to build beds, chairs, etc. I don't know how I ever got along before without the 'Cat is has been a HUGE asset in every aspect of work and recreation.

Having just returned from elk hunting, I had the opportunity to haul back a nice 5x5 bull, then winch it up the meat pole for cleaning/skinning. Probably the most fun though was first winching a '46 Willyz Jeep up a very steep, but fairly short section of trail, then actually towing it up a few hundred yards of pretty steep, muddy twisty trail to the top where the trail intersected with an old forest service road. 6 other quads witnessed this, all said it was "not possible", yet all sat in extreme disbelief as they watched it happen. The SP rider actually went down and sold his machine, ordered a new '02 AC 500i, just from what he'd seen me do with that Jeep hooked up to the my 'Cat.

Also have pictures towing my old '91 suburban uphill in over 2' of snow, winched sub and trailer out of DEEP mudhole, pulled a minivan through up a muddy slope out of a meadow (how it got there in the first place I have no idea), and winched a lifted Toyota running 35" tires, powered by a chev 350 out of a "jeep eater" mudhole hood-deep. Course, after all the "big stuff", the 'Cat has no problem towing lesser machines up, over and through even the nastiest of terrain like childs play. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] heh heh heh. Seriously though, for pure work with a good ride, it's tough to beat an AC 500.

Good Post, and Best of Luck!

Mike

Old 11-06-2001, 11:55 PM
Trailblazer

Cowboy, congrats on the bull, glad to hear you got one. Where's the pics? Were you in snow yet where you were hunting?