Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

What type of winch to buy

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2002, 02:46 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

which side of cleveland? im on the east lets ride!!!..........about the winch thing, get the warn 2500. I have the 2000 and it almost didnt get me out. the 2000 is a great winch but it never hurts to have that little exttra on hand. i got mine with my quad from yamaha for onlr70$ lots of dealers have the special but you might have to but a new quad to get that price!!!lol have fun.

<< when in doubt.....................gas it! >>

Old 01-06-2002, 03:11 PM
Pro Rider

Foneguy,

Im supprised you didnt recognize me Scott.

Old 01-15-2002, 12:54 AM
Trailblazer

What about the Moose brand (which I think is Warn, with a different label), is that a good winch? Same quality as a Warn? I was quoted a good price on one by the dealer.

Thanks for any info

Old 01-15-2002, 07:19 AM
Pro Rider

Warn Winch has much better spool releasing system/freespool/.
J.

Old 01-15-2002, 02:24 PM
Pro Rider

i didnt look into your profile. i should do that now and then, my neighbor are going sun the 20th , dont know where yet let me know if you want to go along cya fri at the garage

Old 01-19-2002, 05:40 AM
Pro Rider

I've owned both brands, and have to say that I like the Warn better. The Superwinch works great for light duty winching. The only problem I ever had with mine was the switch, and Superwinch replaced it free of charge with a newer and better one. For that matter, I had a Warn switch go bad too, and they replaced it also. The Warn just seems to be a little more heavy duty. I got mine brand new off of eBay for $240.00. That included shipping. If you look around, you can find a deal. ATV Parts Depot sells the Warn A2000 for $284.95.

Old 01-23-2002, 12:31 AM
Trailblazer

Well, I bought a Warn U2500 off ebay. I asked my local Warn dealer if this model will work the same way as the A2500, and he said that they are identical, you just don't have the solenoid that comes with the A2500 model. I got a good deal on it too, and can't wait to install it. Now I just have to find a remote switch for the handle bars, since the U2500 has it on the winch itself.

Thanks for all your responses

Old 01-24-2002, 12:20 AM
Pro Rider

Maybe someone can help me. I have a 97 fourtrax 300 that had a winch installed at the dealer. It looks to be a warn winch with the switch mounted on the front rack. It has a gray dial on the side of the winch that says engage/disengage. Now my dilemna, the cable needed to be replaced but it has a different way to hook it to the drum. It hooks to the drum with a screw that takes a allen wrench. I have bought 50' of new cable but I cannot find a new connector to hook it to the drum. It looks like a terminal connector but much larger and hevy duty. Ant help or advise would be appreciated. Also it has a connector on the handlebars that looks like there used to be a remote switch. If you need pictures I can send them to you.

Old 01-24-2002, 11:37 AM
Trailblazer

Dillas, I think you need to purchase the Warn switch. It comes with a heavy duty switch hookup

Old 01-24-2002, 05:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

I Don't know if this helps, But I replaced my cable this past summer on my 8000lb. warn, on my Bronco. I had to cut that copper connector off before attacting cable into spool. (also FYI: your need to take as much stretch out of the new cable before storeing up/heavy use.) I did mind... by cable up my truck and pulled bronco a few feet at a time while standing and jumping on cable to stretch it. Then free spooled off and rolled cable into spool for storage. (I thought that I might have trouble of cable slipping out after cutting the end off but it worked fine.)(just be sure that you tighten the allen nut very snug.).... have fun and enjoy .....Jb I say go for the .....mud hole!......You have only one life !

Quick Reply: What type of winch to buy