Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

ATV Pull, Weight Sled Schedule for VA.

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2002, 10:04 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ratman:
Organizing a pulling event is like any other event. If you want to do it at the fair, get in touch with the Fair Board or who ever is in charge of the event, they can give you the help or send you to the proper people. We use the track area in front of the grandstands, however any area that has seating for spectators will work. We set the pulling track at 150 ft, and a staging area behind the sled about 100 ft long to have ample space to line up the different classes.
Is there any truck or tractor pulls in your area? Most times these folks will help you get started, might cost you a dinner or something like that. Check around with the folks you ATV with, might be some that are handy with a welder and such, might be possible to make it a joint effort. If you start to built one it will take quite a few manhours, "personhours" sounds funny so I wasn't leaving the gals out you are welcome to help. I will share my knowledge and have a partial set of plans. Lost all my CAD drawings when the harddrive expired. Drive train can be built out of old car or truck parts, most times a little time looking will save you money.
Send me a e-mail after you check around and let me know how you made out.
Pullerguy.

Old 02-28-2002, 07:45 AM
Trailblazer

im gonna try to make to the first one, on april 13, and we'll see how it goes from there. ill post this on like 5 other forums im in too. who/what brand usually wins??? overall

Old 02-28-2002, 02:22 PM
Trailblazer

Yellow HO01:
You should be in the top finishers in your class, the 500HO is hard to beat. I've not seen the Grizzly 660 pull yet but have been around one that a friends rides, it will be a tough one to put down. The 650 Twin from the "Green Team" pulls great, I've ridden that one hooked up.
As mentioned in a earlier post the belt drive has the advantage, with a shifter trans you are limited to wheel speed of the gear you pull in, shifting isn't a option. I'll cover my behind by saying "I'm not speaking about the Rubicon" for all the Rubicon Riders, I've played with them a little, they seem to work best in the "manual mode".
Pullerguy

Old 03-15-2002, 10:53 AM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have a friend that cleaned house at the Piaute Jamboree in southern Utah last year on his 500 HO. Weight, HP, and wheel speed I believe pulls the most weight the farthest. I haver just one question though; Why will they not lest you use the ESP mode on a Rubicon in the automatic class? It is still an automatic. When they do sled pulls with trucks do they tell the drivers with automatics that they cannot manually select which range the trans is in? Doesn't make sense to me.

Have a great time, wish I could be there.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 03-16-2002, 12:18 AM
Trailblazer

Specta:
I wasn't aware that there were any restrictions on what mode to use on the Rubicon in Richfield. At the National Jamboree in Fillmore I know there are no restrictions.
The Rubies seem to get better results when controled manualy. The one I had the opportunity to play with would not shift down quite soon enough in auto mode. By controling the down shift I could better my pull by about 15 ft. It felt like there was too much torque lost before it wanted to shift, I don't know if all are like that or not.
And as far as your "Friend cleaning house" I will have to agree!! I wish I would have had more time to chat with him about how he set up his machine, what spring, weights and driven clutch spring setting. It is the best running 500 I've seen. Are you guys going to be at The National Jamboree in Fillmore?
The sled is in the shop for modifications to handle his 500, I was embarrassed the way he pulled it. Tell him if he can't make the complete Jamboree come for the Pulls and Mudbog on Saturday so I can have a go at trying to stop him again.
Pullerguy

Old 03-16-2002, 12:13 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I may have assumed there are restrictions because all the magazines when doing automatic comparisons wont use the ESP mode. This I do not understand. They use every optional device every manufacture offers: manually engauging locking front differentials, on-demand 4-wd, hi range -low range, ect, but they do not use the ESP mode. The only time I have seen this would really have made a difference is when ATV Magazine did the big 500 Shootout last year, the Rubicon is quicker in the ESP mode and I do believe it would pull better. I guess a fair comparison would be to test the machines fresh out of the box and don't move a single selector on any machine, or use all the options each manufacture offers.

I will find out what changes he made to his machine but I am not aware he made any changes except maybe tires, but I will find out.

The Rubicon not down shifting soon enough is the way they are, they wait too long and I feal they loose too much power berfore they do shift. I have always made it through the mud, snow or up the hills but it does perform alot better when manually down shifted.

Thanks for the reply and we should be there this year again.

Specta[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-03-2002, 11:38 PM
Trailblazer

right?!?!?

Old 04-04-2002, 03:00 PM
Trailblazer

i dont think i will be able to make the atv pull.... i might be trading out of my quad........

Old 04-17-2002, 01:34 AM
Weekend Warrior

I think I might try and get a few buddies to go with me up there May 11. I've never pulled a sled before, but would like to see what my Vinson will do.