Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Winch Mounting - The Higher the Better?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2000, 09:04 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

okay gentlemen, enough is enough, if you were to relieve yourself of your present machines and purchase a 2000 KODIAK you would find that you are no longer in need of a winch. Unless, of course, you found it necessary to tow a friend in which case the necessity of a winch is his/her problem.

Old 02-24-2000, 09:14 PM
Pro Rider

lol....jeepers....

When I sealed mine up I just ran a beed around the end of the motor, around where the wire go into it, and around the area where the motor seperates from the spool area.... can't think of a better way to describe it

I would seal up any area that looks like it might let water in... to much is not gonna hurt anything

Old 02-26-2000, 12:08 AM
Pro Rider

Hey Brad.
Great pics.. just surfin along.. Couple of questions. What rims did you mount your bugs on, and how well do they work in sand,trails etc.? Also how deep does your snorkle system let you venture? Any installation tips would be appreciated!! THANKS

Old 02-28-2000, 02:24 AM
Pro Rider

I have my "BUGS" mounted in ITP chrome/black rims, I havn't played in the sand to much to be able to give any feedback, but they do work awsome on the trails

As far as the snorkel, I used a rad. hose that had the right bend (pontaic grand pre) I ran it up the oposite side of the stock breather, It is only as high as the stock one so I did not gain any depth but it allows for more air for the K&N
If you have any install ??'s just E-mail me

Old 02-29-2000, 11:41 PM
Pro Rider

Yammer_Hummer--Have you got your winch mounted, yet? If you can, get some pics and post them. I am curious as to what you did. How did it turn out?
Thanks

Old 03-01-2000, 08:20 PM
Pro Rider

I strongly agree with TxDox2 on the mounting on the rack, keep it high and dry, that way it is more likely to work when you need it. I've pulled brother on his Honda TX400 from mud holes, I just back up to the hole free spool out enough cable, toss it to him andwith the Traxter in "Park", and using the Warn A2000, pull him easy while he is riding the Honda and the hitch is digging into the hard packed dirt/mud between the ruts.
Just a little experience from a user.

Old 03-01-2000, 11:22 PM
Trailblazer

TxDoc2,

I did complete the winch mounting last week. In fact I used it twice on Saturday. Once to pull a fallen tree off the path and once to pull the Grizzly out of a sinkhole of a creek crossing. It worked great.

In the end, I mounted the winch and reinforced the front bumper assembly to make a good place to mount the fairlead.

I am planning to borrow a digital camera from work and take some pictures on Saturday (3/4/00). I will then try to set up a Yahoo briefcase that seems to be such apopular way to share such photos.

I will gladly accept any help on the briefcase if you care to e-mail some pointers.

Thanks for the interest.

Yammer_Hummer
2000 Grizzly, stock except for Warn 2000 winch

Old 03-02-2000, 12:28 AM
Pro Rider

I am an idiot compared to the computer magicians on here. I just went to Yahoo and then briefcase and it was very self explanatory. Look at it and if you need help, I will try to help. I am a beaucolic (sp?) rube, but do the best I can.

Old 03-05-2000, 12:51 AM
Trailblazer

TxDoc2 and Anyone Else Interested,

I completed the mounting for the Warn A2000 winch on the 2000 Grizzly. I also had a chance to use a digital camera to take some pictures of the mounting at the following address. When I get a chance to spend some more quality upload time, I will add a photo folder of the place I normally ride.

http://briefcase.yahoo.com/gapolley

Hope You Like!

Yammer_Hummer

Old 03-05-2000, 01:25 AM
Range Rover

Great job on the custom mount ! The picture are also great. The only suggestion I could possibly make is that you replace your Haws fairlead with a roller fairlead to prolong the life of the cable.

Quick Reply: Winch Mounting - The Higher the Better?