Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Winch Mounting - The Higher the Better?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2000, 01:52 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everyone,

Trying to figure out best mounting location for a Warn AT2000 winch on a '00 Grizzly. I got the winch and the mounting kit from Yamaha as part of the original dealer purchase. I rode the Grizzly before working on mounting the winch and found that when descending steep hills with abrupt bottoms (mainly steep creek banks) the front bumper tends to hit first. I hit one rock that put a good dent in the front center panel with the three ovals (if you aren't a Grizzly owner or don't know what I am talking about, take a look at any Grizzly with a stock bumper and you can't miss it). The factory mounting plate is designed to be placed just above the front differential. The problem is the plate and the fairlead stick out about 1.5 to 2 inches beyound the bumper assembly. I had major concerns about worse hangups, and probable winch and/or fairlead damage.

I have not yet mounted the winch. During the last few days, I have read many posts in this forum and viewed many photo links. It seems mountings that put the winch higher are preferred, many even mounted on the front rack. I am working on a custom mount to put the winch upside down on a custom 1/4" steel plate mounted just under the front rack and fender. This gains me 12 inches on mounting height and no hangup potential.

I would like to hear some experiences and opinions, as I may find this doesn't work as well as I think (blocks some airflow to the oil cooler)

Specifically, I would like to hear problems or success stories about excessive strain on the higher mounts, and if any racks or other frame components have been bent, broken or other wise damaged by a heavy pull.

Yammer_Hummer

2000 Grizzly still stock to the bone (until my winch is on!)

Old 02-21-2000, 02:24 AM
Trailblazer

Thats a very interesting thought. And man do I ever know what u mean by the front bumper with the 3 ovals in it denting up and getting in the way. I can see whatcha mean by a fairlead getting messed up cause if you put it on no dought it wont be there for long. Anyway thats a great idea for a winch mount keep trying and let us know!

Old 02-21-2000, 07:39 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Winch Mounting - The Higher the Better?"

For self-extraction, I don't think so. The geometry of a high winch line pull tends to cant the quad downward into the mire, while a low pull point permits some lifting out of the muck, highly desirable when recovering a stuck vehicle.

An ideal fairlead elevation seems about even with the front axle height; however, few ATV setups permit that exact placement.

As to hanging up from fairlead protrusion, I'd hope you can live with and inch or two; I further hope banging on through with your bumper/skid plate and front tires clawing at the log or bank will get you through. Certainly, a mount totally flush or even recessed behind the front bumper appears preferable, but a compromise between some protrusion and a good pull point may be worthwhile.

Good luck!

Tree Farmer

Old 02-21-2000, 12:45 PM
Trailblazer

Tree Farmer,

Thanks for the input. I hope to use my winch more to help other people out, as I often go riding on private property with friends and family. Before my Grizzly, I rode one of my 2 Kawie Bayou 220's. In the beginning, everybody had similar machines (Suzuki 250, Beartracker 250...) Then upgrades started, now Polaris 4x4, Suzuki 500 4x4... I was pulled out time after time trying to keep up with the 4x4's, but nobody had a winch. We still ride with many smaller 2 wheel drives, including my son still on one of the Bayou 220's. I want to be able to return the favor and help people out when they need it. Recently the Suzuki 500 got buried, and it took 3 of us to get him out. My winch was not yet mounted.

Now, I understand the advantage of the low pull point. Here is what I plan to do. I will mount the factory mounting plate above the differential, after cutting off the portion that sticks out past the bumper. This plate will become a mounting point for a high strength tow hook, allowing me to use a ****** block. This lower pull point will help with self-extraction. It's not as good as the low mounted winch, since one half will be pulling up, and one half will still be pulling down, but it should help. Of course, I will add some additional lengths of cable to make sure I have enough reach to make up for only 25 foot reaach with a fully extended cable doubled back on itself.

Have you seen anybody use a rack-mounted winch for a heavy pull? I have once riding at Cooper Creek outside of Clinton MO, but it was before I had the Grizzly so I didn't pay close attention to exactly how it was mounted. All I know is he had it on the front of a big blue Polaris (425?) and he used it to pull my cousin up and out of slimy quagmire. It pulled out good, but it squashed down the front end pretty good and I don't think the load was that great. I should have asked more questions. My friend with the 500 Suzuki stopped to talk to a guy with a King Quad 300. He had the winch on the front rack because he said the mounting that came with the winch made it low and it stuck out. He moved it up after he kept getting hang up going over trees etc. He said it became more of a plow than a winch.

Thanks for the input.

Yammer_Hummer
2000 Grizzly still stock to the bone

Old 02-21-2000, 09:52 PM
Pro Rider

I, and the people I ride with, prefer the "on top of the rack" mount. It keeps your winch high and dry. You can just reach forward to get your line and toss it to someone else without ever getting off the atv. I have not run into what TreeFarmer discussed. I can see his point, but I just attach to an anchor point a little higher than my rack for the "tow truck" effect. Just my opinion, though.

Old 02-22-2000, 02:04 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yammer Hummer, you've got me thinking, and that could be dangerous!

Delayed installing the winch with the bumper extension, I'm having second thoughts about that 2" extension--without mounting bigger-diameter tires, or repealing/modifying some of Mr. Euclid's geometrical principles, looks like that bumper pooched out front's gonna catch on the next big log or steep bank I attack (a straight-edge across the front touches the extended bumper; with the original bumper position, the stick hits the tires).

With the bumper in its original position, I've already proven I can hit a boulder with center bumper contact only; think what I could do with a 2" extension!

I may have to do some "relieving" with Mr. Bench Grinder, Mr. Cut-off Wheel, and Messrs. File and Hacksaw, but I'm going to explore a few of those "101 Ways" (to avoid extending the bumper) before I torque this thing down for good.

Thanks for raising the issue (the consequences of extended-bumper winch mounts); I don't want to perform another of my crowd-pleasing sudden-stop-with-handlebar-vault acts.

Tree Farmer

Old 02-22-2000, 11:54 AM
Trailblazer

TxDoc2,

It was viewing the pictures of your rig in the Yahoo Briefcase that prompted me to wonder if rack mounting the winch would work. Your Honda looks great and appears you put a lot of thought and effort into the insallation of everything including the winch mounting. I could have easily mounted on the rack, but the front rack on the Grizzly is connected to the main frame support with some relatively small diameter and I think somewhat thin-walled tubing at two points in the front. The two rear mounting points are better, but it will be the front that takes most of the load. I planed to installe a 1/4" metal plate under the winch to distribute the load across the top surface of the rack, but I still felt the two front supports were suspect.

Since my last post, I spent most of yesterday afternooon and evening at one of my riding buddy's house working on the custom winch mount I had drawn up. I made a template out of 1/4" plywood first so adjustments were easily made.

Tree Farmer, I was also going to resort to a short list of manual metal working tools, as most of my tools are woodworking oriented. My buddy stopped by and said to come over, he'd help me out. Smart move on my part, we used his cutting torch, welder, drill press, grinder...

Now I appreciate all of the feedback I have recieved, and look forward to more, but I decided to proceed with the under the front fender mounting I had worked on so far. I just had to try it!

Now there may be mounting kits available from Cabelas, Moose, Dennis-Kirk etc, but the materials for this mounting kit cost me about $20. Actual amount is probably about $12, as some of the metal pieces I bought in 3 foot lengths, and only used a foot or so. All these material were purchased at a small town general supply store. If I had shopped in Kansas City, this cost could have been reduced even further. In fact, if I had gone to my friends first, it could have all been done out of scrap he had laying around. Everybody probably has a friend like mine, he's a pack-rat, and has something like you need...somewhere. One thing I did not scimp on was the bolting. I bought grade 8 bolts and nuts for mounting the plate to the front bumper support. My template was installed using U-bolts, but the local supply store did not have grade 8 U-bolts. Instead I made mounting dog (clamps) from two pieces of C-channel tack welded perpendicular, back-to-back to each other. The C-channel size was selected so that it could sit on the tubing like a saddle. I did this to better distribute the force of the torque on the mounting bolts. I don't know if it was possible, but I didn't want to crimp the tubing.

I got the plate and the winch bolted up last night. Today will be modifying the front bumper. I think I will be removing the thin sheet metal with the three ovals, it's already beat up anyway. In it's place will go a reinforced box with a mounting point for the fairlead that puts the cable out past the rest of the bumper by about 1/2

I would like to take some pictures, and I should have before I mounted everything, but I don't have a digital camera. I won't be able to fully test it out for a few weeks, I am only 11 days into a doctor recommended 6 week recovery period from surgery. I think I may round this down to maybe 3 weeks, and just take it easy. It's killing me. I only put 75 miles on the Grizzly before the surgery, so I've been getting it ready for when I go back out. If this works, I will be glad to make some type of drawing and get some pictures if anyone is interested.

Yammer_Hummer
2000 Grizzly, stock EXCEPT for Warn 2000 winch!

Old 02-22-2000, 12:16 PM
Pro Rider

It sounds like what your gonna end up with is something like what I got on mine.. MY winch is tucked up under the front plastic and the roller fairlead comes out about an 1" past my bumper. Which comes in really handy when pulling off to the side or in situations other that straight line. I haven't had any problems (knock on wood ) with damaging my fairlead with set up yet, and I have done alot of rock crawling. You can see a pic if you click the link below, go to quad pics then pic the front view.

Another idea ... if your gonna mount it up and under You might want to invest in some silicon sealant. I never hurts to seal em' up better than they are when bought (hehe ...tree... thanks again for your help with mine )

Old 02-22-2000, 10:58 PM
Trailblazer

Everyone,

Today I made some progress on the front bumper. As I predicted the sheet metal came off, very easily I must add. It doesn't seem to make sense for the factory to fabricate a bumper for a 600 lb machine that includes metal that can be cut with tin shears with hardly any effort. Anyway...

For anyone who also relocated a Warn A2000 winch on a Grizzly and has the factory mounting plate left, I cut off the front 1.5 to 2 inches (didn't record measurement) so it was flush with the top of the skid plate. I used it as a mounting point for a tow hook. I thought it would be good, since the force of a pull is distributed between 4 frame connection points.

FOREMANes,

I took a look at your pictures in your Yahoo Briefcase. The last one did scare me though! LOL. Your installation is VERY similar to what I will end up with. It's hard to tell because our machines are different, but I think the installation I am working on will end up a little higher, but probably not by much.

Please keep up the good responses.

Yammer_Hummer
2000 Grizzly, less stock by the minute

Old 02-24-2000, 12:10 PM
Trailblazer

FOREMANes (or anyone else who has done this)

Previously you had mentioned selaing up the winch better than it is with Silicone. Please give some pointers on where to seal it up. It has rained some here, and I think I will take it out for a low-impact run this weekend. I probably won't hit any deep mud, but plenty of low standing water.

Thanks

Yammer_Hummer

Quick Reply: Winch Mounting - The Higher the Better?